Note to New Members ×

I'm In The Queue! Who's Got A Sexy Board Build Happening This Summer/Fall?

barryj

I made the cut!  :lurk:

Bruce says I'm  #35 in the queue for a December delivery of a  Angrry 160x 20w x 9scr + UPM + 1/2 edges with a Hammerhead noise and square tail.    Now that should be a turny little bandit! :1luvu:   

Edited by barryj
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 6:35 PM, barryj said:

I made the cut!  :lurk:

Bruce says I'm  #35 in the queue for a December delivery of a  Angrry 160x 20w x 9scr + UPM + 1/2 edges with a Hammerhead noise and square tail.    Now that should be a turny little bandit! :1luvu:   

1/2 edges? Explain… 

10 hours ago, bobdea said:

1/2 edges? Explain… 

We call it  racers edges......and especially useful on the Ice coast.

A 1 degree base and 2 degree edge angles.   If you don't detune the nose you get really snappy response, especially with the board hooking up! 

5 hours ago, barryj said:

We call it  racers edges......and especially useful on the Ice coast.

A 1 degree base and 2 degree edge angles.   If you don't detune the nose you get really snappy response, especially with the board hooking up! 

???? Yeah, I thought that was a given… thought it was yet another sidecut or something. 

30 minutes ago, bobdea said:

I thought that was a given

Yeah,  and you would think it would be universal from the custom builders.....but Nobody puts anything close to a 1/2 on their boards unless you ask for it.

It seems Donek, Kessler, Oxess, Coiler all have their own specific edge specs they ship their boards from the "factory"....and there all different.

9 minutes ago, barryj said:

Yeah,  and you would think it would be universal from the custom builders.....but Nobody puts anything close to a 1/2 on their boards unless you ask for it.

It seems Donek, Kessler, Oxess, Coiler all have their own specific edge specs they ship their boards from the "factory"....and there all different.

Most vendors boards get a belt grind and in some cases see a stone most ship at 90. I think Bruce brings them to a tune shop, Kessler, no idea, Donek not sure but both of mine had decent tunes. Winterstick does a really nice tune 1 and 2 I think, really nice stone grind, even take the time to de tune for you… 

On 6/6/2022 at 6:06 PM, barryj said:

Jack......don't leave us hanging!   Wheres tha Specs Man!!

163.  162 is too short. 😉

20.5cm waist, avg 10.5m radius, high camber.  Titanal/Carbon/Rubber construction, extra torsional stiffness between the feet.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jack M said:

20.5cm waist, avg 10.5m radius, high camber.  Titanal/Carbon/Rubber construction, extra torsional stiffness between the feet.

Love the spec! Except for the square tail...

On 6/8/2022 at 12:08 PM, Jack M said:

You gonna let me ride it? 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the Queue for next year as well. It's not hardboots but it carves amazing.  I started talking to Dave last year and he build me a board for this past season.  I've been on Coiler for 15+ years.    I felt like I needed something different and needed a new best friend as Bruce is slowly building less and less boards.

David Vaughan is a retired SBX and Alpine member from Team Canada.

After a few phone calls and many e-mail we found what could work best for me.   Starting over with someone else isn't easy.  Bruce knew exactly the flex I liked and everything so it made ordering a board super easy.     So I wasn't expecting the first board to be exactly  dialed in to my specific taste and was fine with the process.

So he build me this monster a 163.5 the model is called the Vault 27 waist, custom flex and maple sidewalls.  You can buy it off the rack or he can customize it.    https://vaughansnowboards.com/

He builds the boards in New Brunswick Canada but lives in the witner in Lake Tahoe area, he has stocks on both sides.

He told me the board would take a few days to get used to it.   Took me a few days to get used to it but this board is amazing.   Certified badass carver on the icecoast.   So I ordered another one for next year.  Shorter 159,  27.5 wide, different core and a little more manuverable than the Vault in thight spots.  

Can't wait.

image.png.87eec180e02ee7a40160a3a571000fca.png

Edited by Ernie00
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. Great looking board. I’ve seen them before and was looking at the Vault, BX and even the 160 asym with almost 28cm waist (!) a little while ago, but the sidecuts sort of threw me off—10m is the largest on the BX and most boards are 9 or less. My old 164 Rad Air is 10.5 and that feels around the minimum for fast softy carving with a wider waist.