Note to New Members ×

Who's Lift's Are Still Spinning?

barryj

Out here in the Tahoe basin Palasides, aka Squaw is the only area still spinning and plan to stay open until end of May but just Fri/Sat/Sun.   I went Sat. May 14th 9am - 11am and it was firmer and better groom than I would have thought but it never went below freezing Fri. night so semi firm groom to start and then mashed potatoes by 11am.

Mammoth plans to stay open 7 days a week until June 1st I heard.........haven't heard how conditions are but usually pretty good all the way through May from my previous excursions ou there.

Anybody else still spinning?? 

Mammoth is going to the end of the month. I was there previous weekend but everything was closed due to wind. Bummer considering it took over 6 hours to get there, but now they opened Sonora pass. I am not going this weekend as I have 3rd eye surgery on Thursday, but I want to make one more trip following weekend.they now open at 7:30.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2022 at 6:50 PM, Odd Job said:

10+" expected overnight for ABasin. Will be day 166 for me.

Wow, that's a good season.  Best I ever managed in MT is 164, but 45 of those required skinning.  Only made it to 142 this season with 26 skinning.  But I did log 3.6 million vert, which is more than the 164 year.  Been in Minnesota for two weeks now and don't expect to skin when I get back there.  Sticking a fork in it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, johnasmo said:

Wow, that's a good season.  Best I ever managed in MT is 164, but 45 of those required skinning.  Only made it to 142 this season with 26 skinning.  But I did log 3.6 million vert, which is more than the 164 year.  Been in Minnesota for two weeks now and don't expect to skin when I get back there.  Sticking a fork in it.

Yeah, I don't log much vert per day. My last checkpoint at day 162 shows 1,208,959 ft. I abuse my freedom of days to start anew, and work on new things. I would be much more efficient on usage per days if I was traveling from Denver, or just had less days to use (if i was still hungry for it).

At 3.6 million vert, my back might actually be in a nursing home.

I might be willing to trade 60 days on snow for 100 high quality non bs, non crowded days.

Timberline has closed Pucci and Flood, but they've opened Palmer.  Today may have been my last for the season.  I hate riding weekends and weather isn't looking so good for the next few days.  BTW, a summer pass is significantly more $ than a winter pass.

• 2 weeks later...

It supposed to be last weekend at Mammoth, but they will be ope another week. It is rather questionable as below McCoy station are pretty much only white ribbons of death. Maybe just  greedy? They charge $139 per day. 

B7147CE7-C00F-498D-BB3F-683E2AD7E71B.jpeg

468B0D8A-468C-4E29-9856-E813EE1945E7.jpeg

9D4F936A-445F-413E-8AF9-AECBDCC05C77.jpeg

In fact, several days of cold wet wintry weather have dumped snow on our South Island mountains. Best season start for many years! And with that storm we've had a rash of small tornados, previously pretty uncommon in this part of the world. A bit of extreme weather for here. Hoping it stays cold.

• Like 1