Note to New Members ×

Anybody Riding a Donek MK As Their Daily Ride?

barryj

Curious if anybody is using an MK for more than just a few runs or longer than an hour or so.   It seems that they are an expensive party trick and then the trick gets old and you see it back on the classifieds.....usually the same season.

I would love to try one but don't want a 18w one trick pony that kills your quads in under an hour.                               I wonder if a 20w MK variant is any more all day ridable?

That makes me think a MK variant with 20w And UPM inserts for a Donek A Plate would make it more all day ridable by damping down some of the infamous leg killing MK buzz...without sacrificing much loss in turn radius.

I guess it's an expensive supposition at the moment.................

Edited by barryj

• barryj changed the title to Anybody Riding a Donek MK As Their Daily Ride?

Barry I had an MK when they first came out and helped test all the different protos that Sean sent out. CMC helped develop it and the 8M radius suites his riding style. I thought I could ride it all day at my small local mtn with narrow trails and 1,000’ of vert. Nope, after a few hours my legs were toast. I did try it with the 4x4 AF plate, it helped a little, but made it launch even more between turns. Don’t get me wrong the board is amazing on ice and rails, but it has a small sweet spot and is a lot of work. I wish Sean produced a 20cm 12m version of it. I think the major reason we see a lot pop of for sale is because of the 8m radius. @RobertAlexander managed to ride it more and may have some good feedback on it.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, GeoffV said:

Barry I had an MK when they first came out

Geoff,   Thanks for that info.....yeah the MK's small sweet spot and amount of physical and mental effort sounds  exhilarating........ and taxing.

49 minutes ago, GeoffV said:

suites his riding style

I do see Sean on the MK in all his videos...curious how the MK  suites Sean's riding style?

Hey Rob, you got some expertise  on how to/you make the MK  "all day rideable"  ?? 

A trick to riding any board all day is to learn efficient technique, with good shock absorption through your knee and hip joints. That becomes energy saving riding, that allows lots of turns, lots of vertical metres (feet) and lots of fun. My aim is always weary legs by the end of the day, rather than being done by lunchtime.

PS: I've ridden an MK. If I didn't have a KST 162 I probably own an MK.

Edited by SunSurfer

When I had a MK my family spent a lot of our ski time at a small mountain.  I would ride it all day.  I loved the small radius for the quickness of its handling.  Avoiding other riders/skiers on a busy narrow trail made it a great tool.  Taking to a larger mountain tough on the legs.  However, I also had Sean make me a MK variant that was bigger in all the right places.  It was great for higher speeds, longer turns and more time on the trail.

172 length, 19 width, 11 M radius.

1 hour ago, big mario said:

what happened to your sf?

It just wasn't speaking to me......so I let it go early this season.  

It was a fun ride that I could ride all day but not the turny go kart  I was looking for.    It taught me alot about neutral stance and riding centered but I found the  SCR and turn shape overlapped my K168 more than I anticipated.

Additionally I'm an old nose stomper and I couldn't continually run to run  replicate the  "ride centered" positioning Mark preached and it was hit or miss for me getting the famous Thirst railing ride.      

I'm much happier on a Donek Rev 163 8.5-12.5scr  UPM  + Donek A Plate!  It speaks my language! :1luvu:

@barryjI've put full days on mine no problem, though a full day for me is about 3 hours and 15k.  It cruises just fine, but obviously thats not how the value of an MK is calculated in GpC(Giggles per Carve). I probably had as many east coast days on the MK as I did with the SF this year. Don't let them scare you. I ride it relaxed and it whips around just as fast as when your throttle it.  I just find its a lot of work because you WANT to work it.  It's that much fun. 👍

• Like 2

Great full day Board. Did 2 seasons , it was all i rode,  35/40 days each season.  Early season /start,  It takes a week or 2 to get in shape any way. The MK will bring you to a rapid fire turn skill , that other boards can not.   The Mk has a very specific personality, ride it plenty and it will happen. 

• Like 3

On 5/5/2022 at 4:44 PM, barryj said:

Hmm.....Curious as to where said variant resides these days??

Can't remember who I sold it to.  I should've kept it, but I was trying to bring my hardboot collection down in numbers from 12 to 3 or 4.  Loved that board though.

• Like 1