Note to New Members ×

Alpine Racer did this! (In softies)

Dave Winters

Sorry, Guiness, not that impressive for 12 hours.  Maybe out east, but not in the west.

For example, the guy that topped our vertical list at Whitefish this year did at least 8 days over 100,000 and many more over 90,000 on the Fridays and Saturdays that were open for night skiing, allowing 11.5 hours of vertical tracking.  Vertical leaders often do around 70K just in the 9AM - 4PM hours that are not night skiing.

Once the night skiing included a detached lift, people going for their vertical can routinely top 100K out here.  Heck, I remember a personal best of 98K (on a snowboard) even back in '07 when it only had a fixed grip double for night skiing.

And yes, doing that kind of vertical means dedicated lapping and not much turning.  Respectable yes, but boring too.

• Like 1

Well they should go on record with Guinness then!!

56 laps on the Sugarloaf SuperQuad would probably be a medical mistake for me. My hat is off to him.

Myles is a great guy and helps coach CVA racers when he’s not globetrotting to FIS races. 

image.png

• Like 1

that is Awesome Myles!!! 

Reminded me though, of the 24 hour races here in Aspen years ago...always would awaken in the middle of the night, watching through my telescope from across the valley on Red Mt, for an hour or so, an eerie scene it was, with the mountain partially lit up by giant floods in appropriate placements for Downhill runs...Teams of two, basically following each other in the dark and full speed

The record I believe was 81 or 82 runs one year

that is around 243 miles and 265,000 vertical ft.

• Confused 1

On 4/23/2022 at 7:23 PM, Jack M said:

Well they should go on record with Guinness then!!

Naw, this year's guy only did 6.8 million.  They guy who won in 2016 did over 8 million.  The resort does the tracking, and our season is around 120 days.  The 8 million dude didn't even know there was a vertical list until after Christmas, so he must have been averaging over 70K a day after he decided to go for it.

Kudo to Myles.  No disrespect intended to the rider (who looks like he was on a Winterstick!).  100K is a big accomplishment, not the least of which is arranging for Guinness to record it as a world record. 

I was taking a jab at Guinness.  The linked article even points out the guy who did 180K in 12 in 2018, but did not "qualify" as a world record.  And for years their record was 62K, which clearly was being surpassed dozens or hundreds of times a year at resorts all over the world that track their passholder's vertical.  So the issue with Guinness is that they are in the business of being an authority for records, but don't seem very concerned with whether those records reflect superlative feats in the first place.

I sound like a nutter for caring.  I should just be happy for Myles.