Note to New Members ×

OT: Book Recommendations

SWriverstone

I second the recommendation for "Guns, Germs and Steel".

I'm no scientologist, but one of my favorites is "Battlefield Earth". The movie adaptation was sorry.

The original "Tarzan of the Apes" is also very good. Beats the hell out of any of the movies.

"First Blood" in book form is also much better than the movie. I read the book years before the movie came out and knew that it would be great movie material. The movie actually watered down the book.

"Stranger in a Strange Land" is pretty trippy, but quite good.

As good as the movie was, "Blackhawk Down" the book is even better. I saw the movie a few weeks AFTER I read the book, and I felt very disappointed. About a year later, after the memory of the book had faded, I was able to enjoy the movie more.

I've also read a few of the books in the "Dune" series. The original was the best. It was the first time I read the term "jihad". At first, I thought the author made up the word for the story. I didn't know it was a muslim term.

Luckily, the real life jihadists aren't as good at being warriors as the Freeman in Dune.

no kerouac fans, eh?

I like Clive Barker, too. "Weaveworld" was my favorite I believe.

Stephen King w/Peter Straub "The Talisman" is one of the best fantasy stories ever told

again, Straub "Hellfire Club" or "Ghost Story"

short story: Stephen King "Rage"

I've read more than I can remember...never been good at keeping records, even mentally.

oh..if any historians are around Mike Davis "City of Quartz"...really biting history of Los Angeles. Sometimes a bit too left-liberal, but good nonetheless