Note to New Members ×

PSA: Replace your F2 bails

Aracan

As you can probably guess, I got a reminder about this the other way: F2 front bails, beefy though they may look, will not last forever. My rear one broke in its 7th or 8th season. Thankfully it was on a moderately pitched slope with soft snow. Better to replace them before you are less lucky.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TLN said:

You broke front bails? o_O
Usually it's the rear, and way sooner than 7-8 season. 

I'll buy that.  I broke a front bail this season too.  It's just one of those years?

@Aracan: care to post a good photo of the fracture surface?  would be interesting to compare to my incident.  I'm thinking of just rotating my bindings out every 5 years now.

Unfortunately, I don't have the binding before me right now, may take a week or two before I can supply a photo. According to my wife, who is an engineer and knows her way around materials science, there was no necking or anything. I also check my bindings regularly, because the nuts on F2 bindings are a known point of failure. I ordered new front and rear bails for all three pairs in the household.

I am glad it has not broke on the hill and found it already on the parking lot. Front one doesnt often brake, usually rear bails, so my recommends to carry an least one each with you, that way if they brake you have a spare to fix it on the hill, they are pretty easy to install.

Edited by b.free

On 3/29/2022 at 5:20 PM, b.free said:

I am glad it has not broke on the hill and found it already on the parking lot. Front one doesnt often brake, usually rear bails, so my recommends to carry an least one each with you, that way if they brake you have a spare to fix it on the hill, they are pretty easy to install.

Any tips on where to get just the bails?  I tried yyzcanuck and carvers and the only thing they had available were the entire toe/heel blocks.  Needless to say, the difference between replacing 4 blocks vs just buying new bindings was pennies.

8 hours ago, st_lupo said:

Any tips on where to get just the bails?  I tried yyzcanuck and carvers and the only thing they had available were the entire toe/heel blocks.  Needless to say, the difference between replacing 4 blocks vs just buying new bindings was pennies.

I dont know a place just to buy bails... I usually buy new blocks (from Donek) or new bindings (from OES). 

• Thanks 1