Note to New Members ×

Long-lasting base treatments, other than wax?

NateW

Are there any wax alternatives that actually work? 

The only one I've ever tried was Zardoz NotWax about 20 years ago. It was amazingly fast on wet snow, but it only lasted for a run or two. But that was 20 years ago...

Are there newer ones that last as long as hot wax job? Or longer? Are they as fast?

https://faststik.com/

Mark at Thirst sells this stuff.  I think a new board still needs a couple of hot waxes, but then this application works wonders.  I was riding with Jburke a couple of years ago, we had the same boards and he was out gliding me in the flats.  I had hot waxed and he had Faststiked.  It might not last as long as a hot wax, but application time is really quick, without leaving a mess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used their "Warm" stuff last Sunday (air temp around 40F, and sunny) and yesterday (around 45F, part sun). Overall it seems like good stuff. Goes on quickly and easily, and I'm 99% sure it lasts more than a full day.

Last week, by around 2pm I could feel some slowness here and there, and wasn't sure whether the snow was getting slow or the treatment was wearing off. It was still fast almost everywhere, I just felt some occasional brief moments of drag. Yesterday applied some at the start of the day, and re-applied at lunch time and still noticed some slowness in the afternoon, so I am pretty sure the problem is the snow getting wet, not the treatment wearing off.

Next weekend is the last day of the season. I'll apply it in the morning and won't bother re-applying over lunch.

I look forward to trying their normal-temp stuff next season.

• 5 months later...

DPS phantom, I've used it since the Kickstarter in 2017/2018 on all my boards since then, about a million+ vert average every season since then and never waxed my boards wiith it.  V2.0 offered some nice improvements and first thing I do anytime I get a new Donek board when it's never been waxed is apply DPS phantom before riding it (REI and many other shops have the UV cure box and can apply it).  

Edited by kitejumping

• 4 months later...