Note to New Members ×

U195

Alexey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 7:12 PM, b.free said:

Two boards are in CO and ready to test.

Great quality. First impression, they are stiff and camberred. Very solid and similar to original in shape. Cant wait on riding them.

20220411_155209.jpg.2f57d0909eeff56d134e4b75e94b03d5.jpg

If those are available to try, I'd love to hop on one. I loved my Undertaker back when.

On 4/15/2022 at 3:57 PM, Mr.E said:

If those are available to try, I'd love to hop on one. I loved my Undertaker back when.

Hey, I am testing both prototypes this weekend, but next one you are welcomed to try em. Your feedback will be needed.

• Like 1

Screenshot_20220424-204659-707.png.bf2a44cdced4f726245a726ff3771d09.png

I took the stiffer one out today- V2 I think from the marking. I really enjoyed it. Nice and quiet nose, it held an edge well, and I enjoyed the overall flex.

A couple of constructive notes if it were up to me:

1. Its a pretty heavy board- I might thin the core and make up the stiffness with composites.

2.There is a bit of a step feeling between the effective edge, then when you tilt it further the nose contact engaging. I might tweak this with increasing the effective edge a touch, possibly. The other camber profiles might also address this.

In general I liked how relatively quite it was transitioning from powder to chunder to groom. The general flex was pretty good for me, though I can imagine softer would also be good for a wider range or riders (I'm 217lbs). Torsional stiffness was much higher than my old 185 Undertaker, and I liked that with hardboots in soft stuff and on groom.

Edited by Mr.E
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Condition: Wide variety of snow condition from soft snow to slush

Board: Softer version of U195

Set up: MS 951 w/ SG bindings

I was able to try the board out this past weekend and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Although the condition weren't powder day, I believe this board can rip on those days. The waist width was just about right, not too narrow nor too wide. It is quite hard to find board that can right comfortably with hardboots set up so It is quite awesome to have this board, especially able to have stance width of 46cm (normally I ride 48cm stance width on normal alpine board) which allows for comfortable stance at lower angle. For me, this is a huge plus as I don't have long leg like some people. 

I was able to carve without worrying too much about buckling the nose and/or flexing the board with hardboot set up. Although the length is 195cm, it was surprisingly easy to maneuver through narrow runs at the lower mountain (half of the run is closed due to lack of snow). It would be difficult to say what I would change but trying out slightly softer nose would be interesting especially in powder days.

Overall it was great board and definitely want to have in my quiver: the powder board that can also carve on the groomers.

FEABEF63-970B-4859-90FC-9A82F438F90B_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As for my reviews, i can say that both boards are build in excellent and almost identical shape comparing to the original, some minor differences in construction and dampening, although my original is 20+ years old, so its hard to compare in exact way.

4872 is a harder prototype which is obviously stiffer build and heavier, testing were in very hard spring pack, no freshies unfortunately by that time. Boots were UPZ AT8, which is my softer setup for powdays. Yamifumi said its crazy to use this pow board in such conditions, ohh well, I wanted to try it anyway.

I am 6.5, 225lbs and the board felt very good for my weight. On the groomed trails, U195 felt more of GS board with wider turns vs the Undertaker as more of freecarving board with shorter turns, not sure if its good or bad, more of a preferred way of riding.

The nose felt amazing, no rattling at all, just amazing stable ride, great hold on any speed.

Same with the tail, I was so surprised by it, very jumpy, lots of feedback, very “alive” tail. I was not scared to press it, amazing since its a swallowtail.

Midsection of the board is probably too stiff torsionally, which would be hard to maneuver in the trees, well no trees riding yet, however its not an issue on the hardpack. I had to adjust my technique and get used to the board to feel and ride it comfortably.

Overall with only one day of riding on it, I would say its more of a carver than powboard, way better on hardpack than Undertaker, great grip to ride anywhere on trails, will see how it will ride in deep snow and trees.

Short video: 

Edited by b.free
  • Like 2