Note to New Members ×

TD3 standard rear bail won't stay up?

I'm having challenges getting into my new to me TD3 standard bindings. 

The rear ball is easily pushed backwards and my boot won't hook into it. I'm used to Burton Race Plates where the rear bail stays up and it's easy to hook the boot in.  I'm doing my best to lower my boot back into the binding as best I can and maybe I'll get better at that but it's pretty frustrating currently. 

Are my bindings supposed to have any spring support to the rear bail or otherwise?

I'm going to start looking for some TD3 step ins I think. 

There are three different varieties of toe/heel blocks for TD3s.  If your rear bail goes so low that you can't get the boot's heel ledge under it easily, your heel block might actually be a toe block.  The toe block lets the bail drop lower.

This page tells you how to identify which sole block is which:

https://www.bomberonline.com/TD3-Sole-Block_p_50.html

22 minutes ago, Wolf said:

There are three different varieties of toe/heel blocks for TD3s.  If your rear bail goes so low that you can't get the boot's heel ledge under it easily, your heel block might actually be a toe block.  The toe block lets the bail drop lower.

This page tells you how to identify which sole block is which:

https://www.bomberonline.com/TD3-Sole-Block_p_50.html

Thanks for that, learned something new today 🙂

Yeah, looks like I have the proper heel block but it just sits too low.  

Do people put anything in the gap to keep it pushed up higher?

20220212_210527_copy_1512x2016.jpg.be1b10ccbd914664727aa3561faaf4a6.jpg20220212_210810_copy_2016x1512.jpg.a862fc1d28000a49ab1534261df84282.jpg

I just checked my boots in two different TD3 standard bindings and my heel bails are higher relative to the boot ledge than yours (but I have Raichle SB series shells).  So there's something about your setup that isn't quite right.  Does the heel pad on your boot sit parallel on top of the heel block?  From your picture it almost looks like the whole boot might be tilted up in the back (as might happen if the toe block is too low).  

16 minutes ago, slabber said:

Can I just glue a wedge of sorts in the gap to keep the ball propped up?

I think that should work.  But in the prior photo without the boot, you can see that the bail is drooping too low.  On my bindings, the curved part of the bail is pretty much horizontal while yours is drooping down at an angle.  I'll have to sleep on it and see if I can think of anything else that could cause that.

• Like 1

On TD3 there are  wavy washers at the outside of the lug that usually keeps the bail in the up position until they wear down.    I've replaced mine about every season....but I put in 100 days a season.....your mileage between replacing will differ.

Additionally I have bungeed the toe bail (for me) in the up position.  I made it out of burly rubber bands, like the size ski shops put on skis after tuning.  I've also made my own out of road bike inner tubes and just cut the tube and then cut off a end section twice and looped them together and them looped that over the bail and then around the block under the bail.   Works for a month or more before they wear thru.

• Like 1

slabber - You have some workarounds but I'm still curious why your heel bail is so low compared with the boot ledge.  I've used lots of TD3s over the years and never had this issue, but I've always used Raichle/Deeluxe boots.  Maybe the heel ledge on UPZs is higher, but I thought that was standardized between brands.

Here are two photos showing how high the heel bail is on two sets of my TD3s - the heel bail is only slightly lower than the heel ledge.  A third photo has a scale showing the height of the heel ledge on my boot.  Does your UPZ boot measure the same?

P1010459a.jpg.4ae9cc096dc47c797989fd28e699e5ed.jpg

P1010460a.jpg.c32fcc44160c8a13b41759c128f0654b.jpg

P1010461a.jpg.06511c67618abb9243711485d2f2ceb3.jpg

@Wolf, my boots are like new, so no wear to sole blocks.   That said, it does look like mine are higher at 35mm.  So that would be a contributing factor.   

But the bails are definitely 'falling down' to the lowest spot in their range and if I can correct that, I should be good. 

20220213_091753_copy_2016x1512.jpg.0398847a95d94dee6a81af687624b68c.jpg

35 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

Once you start laying it over you will get boot out.  Also, the binding will likely impact the snow sooner as it overhangs the board width.

Somebody made a short simple video about this... 

Thanks, didn't think I had enough overhang to be a concern - I'll look to steepen up the angles.  

Watching the vid, seems like fuego method assessments are very dependent on what part of the boot you touch...  I'll do some reading. 

In that method we're just interested in touching the parts of the boot that overhang the edge. We are also trying to make the front of the boot and rear of the boot be as equal as possible to the edge. 

Can you go over the edge? Yeah 85 degrees would be a better square for most folk in a lot of conditions, especially beginners. 

• Like 1