Note to New Members ×

(Seeking hardboot advice) board waist too small?

TimV

I am going into the second season of hardbooting (I love it and want to keep it up!) I wear a size M32 (13us) and the boards I have ridden on have had a waist of 19-20. I have to keep both bindings at 70° (as far forward as TD1's will allow) to keep everything contained within the edges of the board. 

I am curious if this is hindering my riding? It's not the most comfortable either so naturally my balance feels odd too.  

I'm currently not in a position to get a wider board, so I am making due with what I have available. But in the future I plan on getting a wider one, any thoughts on what waist size would work best? I was thinking 22-23, but I'm not sure (I'll do more research into it when I get closer to buying, but for now advice would be helpful). 

Any input is appreciated, thank you!

Edited by TimV

100% up to you. Many prefer narrow boards. Many prefer wider boards. Most seem to chose close to 20 cm. 

I find that I prefer lower angles that a 22 cm waist permits, for alpine, but I have more 20 cm boards than 22s. :shrug: M28 boots for me, so lower angles than you. 

• Like 1

M29 here (so somewhere between you @TimV and @Corey on the sasquatch scale) @ 55/53. I found 22 was about the limit on a regular sidecut, but the asym (WARP) on Thirsts give you a bit more width under the back foot, so I think I could go down to 20.5-ish with that design. Talk to Mark ( @BLOODTYPEZX10R) he will know the details. 

• Like 1

Size 11 and I ride 18 cm boards a lot but starting to enjoy turns on some slightly wider boards too. 

65/67 on my Burners. After that 60 feels almost sideways. If you cannot balance well I would suggest that stance width or canting may be more of the issue than stance angles but I'm old school so what do I know. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, carvedog said:

Size 11 and I ride 18 cm boards a lot but starting to enjoy turns on some slightly wider boards too. 

65/67 on my Burners. After that 60 feels almost sideways. If you cannot balance well I would suggest that stance width or canting may be more of the issue than stance angles but I'm old school so what do I know. 

Sorry typo... Mine are set to 70° on both (edit has been made). I'll try playing around with canting and my stance a little. Thank you for the suggestion!

22 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

@TimVYou will likely benefit from a modest amount of outward canting on each foot. Front foot toe lift and rear foot heel lift will also help if you don't use these already. The video linked below explains why I say that.

Thank you for the resource!