Note to New Members ×

SG Soul 64xt, '21/'22

dhamann

21/22 SG Soul 164xt

Edges tuned to .5 and 1

Wax: five layers with initial base conditioner. Scraping on the black surface feels different than the white die cut SG logo. Almost like two different ptex densities. White seems faster and harder. PTEX 3000 base. Wax layers do not absorb into the base very well. Must need to hotbox a couple times. After at least a dozen layers I don’t see much wax on the base after 2-3hrs of riding and base burn developing along edges. Keep building those layers I guess. I just use Hertel wax and colder LF swix along edges. I don’t wanna get into LF and non flouro atom properties of not bonding properly, but it could have something to do with these early stages of building wax into the board. Stone ground, yes I think so. It says it is and the wax iron’s flat; no high/low/puddle spots. Structure, not noticed to the naked eye or speed. Grippy almost, when strapping in and initial drop in.

Inserts: the 4x2 pow insert pattern is right where I like to ride most of the time, all the way back. heavy nose for speed and chunder ollie chop cuts. Personal preference. The last two inserts on this pattern are spaced away from the others. When bindings are moved up “one” insert, it is actually TWO. the board rides more balanced and centered when moved up “one”. Higher speed carves for me require some nose loading and with this stance position it develops a high risk of stuffing the nose and going over the handlebars. Working on my technique still. Easy solution: An additional insert pair should be put in between this 4x2 pow pattern because the board is missing potential without them being there. I would only use these back two inserts, but I’m missing that pair. One of the back inserts were reamed out in manufacturing and is stripped out to the point of needing a metric tap to rethread. I’m running three screws on my rear binding until I can get this fixed and seems to be working.

The ride: gecko cross and o-drives. 39/15. Set at the furthest back insert pattern before the 4x2 pow insert pattern. wide at 28 waist and long with an average of 10.75m scr (total guess, but feels like about a 9.72/12.7/9.82). could flip the nose and tail speculated specs just the same, but kinda splitting hairs. Anyways, it ran large radius turns for me until I started to get used to it. this didn’t happen on the first day. Tried to tweak ankles, knees, hips to twist the board and get it to turn quicker and ended up straining a back foot muscle/tendon or something. I was rushing it. operator error. Took a few days off softies to let the foot heel and just rode alpine at like a 6. Desperate to get the bindings back more, I put them on the furthest back insert pattern and had to run just three screws on rear binding due to one insert stripped out. Yup, this is the spot for me. 36/6 on bindings now. much more maneuverability and agile. Felt better with the flex and could manipulate the turn radius a little better. took 2-3 sessions on this board in order to get used to the width, flex, radii and how much this board will take if I really gave it to ‘er. Forward directional riding only, it handles speed upwards of 55mph ish pretty darn well. rails and holds an edge exceptionally well. torsional flex is minimal within the turn. Love how stiff the torsional flex is. Sure you can still peddle it, but again that took a few sessions to get used to the board before I could do that. overall hand flex feels like a solid 9 for a softy board, maybe a 7 if compared to an alpine flex. It’s light in weight too, which I like. Rides pretty damp for not having titanal, but I am also running gecko cross plates. it rides like equipment and not like a toy.

I’ve ridden this board on firm icey “no thank you” conditions and also new snow chop, soft ice and hero carving conditions. Board is holding up better than my bindings. It’s not a race board, but a great freeride freecarve. Big camber. This board replaced a bx board and a directional freeride/freestyle board for me. still getting used to it riding switch and playing with those flip around ground tricks. Smaller tail being set way back on inserts, but feel the stiffness of it when buttering, more so than the nose. It’s not gonna do everything but what it does do, it does it well for me.

Thanks Ivan at i-carve for your patience with me trying to figure out that dam wise transfer site. That was hell. Thanks to Sigi for being so responsive and helpful to my inquiries regarding this board. She’s a keeper and wouldn’t hesitate putting more into my quiver. Please, never discontinue this board. Happy trenchin.

soul.64xt.jpg

Edited by dhamann
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, dhamann said:

It’s not a race board, but a great freeride freecarve.

You say that but alot of adaptive guys race on the SG Soul as its a little easier to handle than say the Force. Its where my 159xt is living out a happy retirement with a friend who's an adaptive racer :).

I'm really tempted next season to see if i can get the 164xt titan soul as i loved the standard soul but just found it a little on the soft side.