Note to New Members ×

Madd BX vs donek incline

jtdds

Ironicly enough my buddy rides a balance (159 I believe) from about that model year (same base as your pic, slightly different top sheet coloring), and I used to ride a donek wide 161 all the time.

As for stability at speed, there's no contest at all, definately the donek. The burton rode very loose. I suppose that might be a taste issue, but I'd much rather the board that will track flat and punch through chop (or be damp enough to soak it up). The balance danced base flat, let alone on chop.

The balance definately was quick to maneuver at slow speeds on steeper slopes. Very easy feeling compared to the donek.

But once you give the donek some speed it comes alive. Plenty of snap out of the tail to pop into the next turn, making it very maneuverible once you start truckin' a bit. Plus with the gobs of edge hold you can actually commit without being worried about the board getting away from you.

Harbooter.com has a few tankers in varying lengths. I beleive I bought the last LSD Lamm, but I think they also have a LSD Sappa available. Don't know much about the Sappa, and I didn't get much time in on the Lamm, but it was mucho fun for the few turns I got in on it...

After riding this board for a few weeks in both plates and softies, I can tell you this, if you want to go stupid fast, this is the board for you. It holds its edge in ice just like the rest of the Madds, but is stable and damp enough to handle the ruts, bumps,and air time of a boardercross course. I was real interested to see how this board would perform with softies, being made by a company who specializes in alpine boards. I road it with a pair of catek freerides, and have to say that it was amazing. I have never been able to rip heelside turns like that on my other boards. and it just plows right through crud like its not even there. It can feel a bit sluggish at low speeds, but in my opinion it is designed to be going fast, so I don't really see it as a downfall. The fact that it is both stiff and damp makes landing those awkward boarder-x jumps so much easier. However, if you are looking for a board that you can just sit back, relax, and let it run go elsewhere. This thing is an animal, and it will take whatever you can put into it, but if you are not aggresive, it will feel like it is controlling you. Overall impression, great board. Not something I would ride every day, but I would, and have ridden it though the nastiest of courses in both plates and softies, and never once did I wish I was on something else. hope this helps anyone who was interested, and feel free to ask me any more specific questions.

Steve

Originally posted by jason_watkins

The burton rode very loose....snip The balance danced base flat...

Yup, that's the Burton Balance alright. And that is what I like so much about it. It can carve up a storm or you can tuck a mogul field with it. And I don't mean gracefully. I mean, full on motocross, skipping over the tops on your way to being first down the hill.

Only the Balance does that for my son and I.

Anyway, wild ride for sure. Not for everyone.

till next year,

sic

Having ridden most of the BX boards out there I feel I can give a good comparison and overview on the subject.

1st thing is boards like Donek's Incline and Palmer Channel are very different from BX specific boards like the Madd 168 and the Volkl Cross. The Palmer, Doneks and even Rad Airs are more freeride boards that do ok at speeds needed for BX. I own a Palmer Channel 164 and 156, a Rad Air LSD Reto 164, a Volkl Cross 167 and 160 and a Madd 168 BX and Madd Freestyle 158. I have also ridden a Incline 164 about a dozen days.

Of the Freeride boards I find the Palmer the best for BX. the titanium top sheet makes it real damp and it handles ruts pretty well. I find the RA Reto to be bad at speed. It gets real twitchy. It is one of the most fun boards to play on and reccomend it if many boards is an option. The incline is middle ground between the two.

Onto the BX boards. If BX racing is your fancy the other boards can't compare to the Madd or Volkl. They are not the most versatile and are really meant for fast obstacle laiden courses. The Volkl feels a little more responsive. It is not as fast or stable at speeds as the Madd and feels shorter than it's length. The Madd is superior on ice, crud and at speed. It does make you ride it, though! If you are new to BX and ride mostly alpine I would reccomend the Madd, but if you are new to BX and have mostly ridden freestyle set ups I would reccomend the Volkl.

One other note is that the Madd Freestyle 158 is a good board for short, technical BX courses. It has the Electra 4000 base and is probably the fastest non-alpine 158 on the market. This board is allowing me to sell my Reto and Palmers!

I have compared almost all BX boards out there so if you have any BX specific questions please feel free to email me.

Thank you. Exactly what i was looking for. Please reply if you agree/disagree with Palmer's assesment of those boards.

Palmer, like you, I find the Channel 64 to be real versatile ride-- it can carve OK and freestyle OK, but it really excels in difficult snow conditions because of its damp characteristics. I own the volkl cross 67 which is a nice size for my 215lb size 11 foot combo ( I use Palmer risers to avoid drag as I ride near zero angles when soft booting) The only time i wish for the channel over the cross is when I am in crud, and terrain parks. I sure wish the cross had the dampning like the channel. What about dampning of Donek wide/incline and Maddbx?

Don't you want an all mountain board to have high dampning characteristics? High speed and rough snow? Lonerider, you rave about the phoenix. Would you ride a MADDbx as an all around mountain board? Isn't a damp board easier to ride in a variety of conditions?