Note to New Members ×

MCC advice for the first time attendees.

dredman

We currently have 40% first time MCC attendees this year and I have been thinking about what advice to share with them.  

I will list off a few I can think of, but would love to hear your input for how to have a fun and successful MCC.

• Put your forum name or last name on your helmet.  Most of us have met on the forum or Facebook. Sure makes it easy to connect with our online friends/family.
  • Demo every board you can.  Each board you try will teach you something different about riding.  You might even fall in love with one.
  • Drive very thoughtfully on the way up to Turner Mtn.  22 miles from Libby to Turner, the first 11 miles are well taken care of, the second 11 miles is 1-2 lanes wide, can be snow packed/icy, numerous deer, elk and an occasional moose.  
  • Turner is steepest on the right side as you ride the lift up and less steep on the LEFT.  The easiest carving runs are Cabinet Avenue, Pneumonia Ridge, Lower Mambo, Lower Main, Pig Chute and Jeep Road.  
  • Attend the Clinics!  We have 6 professional ski/snowboard/carver instructors.  The are here to help you level up and ride with more confidence.  
  • Attend the Race/Gates Clinics.  We have 2 former World Cup racers hosting this clinic.  It is open to all ability levels.  Even if you never plan to get on a race course, you will learn something amazing.
  • Eat in the Lodge!  The Turner Kitchen crew makes delicious homemade soups, chili and amazing sandwiches all at a great price.
  • Bring a Powder set up… If you do not have one, we will have some demos, but you are only able to take them for 2 runs.  The Rental Shop has softboot boards and boots for rental.  Or get creative, shift your binding as far back as you can, unbuckle the tops fo your boots and ride.  
  • Buy lots of raffle tickets!  5+ boards, UPZ boots, F2 Bindings, Bomber Bindings, MCC 2022 sign, bags, cases, sunglasses, gloves, shirts, hats, Montana Lottery Gift Basket, Lodging and more.  All raffle proceeded are donated to the volunteer ski patrol.
  • Wear bright colors.  Bright clothing sure makes pictures pop!  You could be the next MCC poster star and get on the MCC Instagram/Facebook.  We will have 2 professional photographers and a videographer capturing the fun, plus several participants will be out taking photos.
  • Bring a great attitude.  We could have perfect carving conditions, feet of powder or rugged conditions. We will do the best we can with the groomers, but sometimes Mother Nature has a very different plan.
  • Bring your GoPro and/or Camera.  We have a photo drive on Google that everyone shares picts/videos into.  It is great to see everyone’s perspective on their trip to/at/from MCC.
  • Make friends, talk carving with people that get it, and have FUN!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sportube, Sportube, Sportube!!!

The Sportube Series 3 will hold up to 183cm and can easily hold 4 boards w/o bindings. 
Please be advised, that all Airline Co. consider all ski equipment as “fragile” and release themselves of ALL liability.  
TRUST ME…  Alaska Air destroyed two of my boards while traveling home from MCC 2019 while they were in a standard padded wheelie snowboard bag.  Total loss!  I found this out the hard way.  
I since bought a Sportube, and even put padding on the inside of the tube and also had mom sew furniture blankets into board socks for all-round protection.  Yes… I’m now overprotective of my boards during travel.

I also buy insurance through World Nomads.  Their Explorer plan $100 covers EVERYTHING, even equipment damage up to 3K (unless it’s changed).

Our equipment is very expensive and is not easily replaced.  
PROTECT YOUR BABIES!!

• Like 8

Be prepared for a wild ride on the lift at Turner. I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned it? Or maybe I'm the only wuss that's deathly afraid of it when there's snow on the seats?

I loaded in the morning after it snowed, and right after sitting down with the chair swinging forward I was ejected forward off the chair from the snow. After, each ride there was snow on the seat I was clinging onto the pole and @pow4everfor fear of falling off riding up 😮

Maybe my 140 lbs doesn't anchor me to the seat enough 🙂

@ktv good tip! Yes always wipe the snow off the seat before sitting down! Use the ramp to keep you from swinging and hold on to the chair when loading. Good tip for any fixed grip chair. 

I have seen this happed to Todd Brown or maybe it was Paul K at Aspen. 

wipe, sit, hold on. 

22 hours ago, Jcar said:

I also buy insurance through World Nomads.  Their Explorer plan $100 covers EVERYTHING, even equipment damage up to 3K (unless it’s changed).

Our equipment is very expensive and is not easily replaced.  
PROTECT YOUR BABIES!!

This is great advice @Jcar thanks for posting this. I have a  padded Dakine roller board bag and will look into the extra insurance protection. 

Ghetto version: DIY Sportube out of cardboard. 

I watched handlers at the local airport tossing board/ski bags a good 6 feet, then they picked up my ghetto box and placed it like it was filled with champagne glasses. An unexpected benefit! 

It wears out fast though, to the point that I now own a Sportube. 

• Like 1

Good call on the pipe insulation.  Heading over to our local home depot to get some soon...

Also, the to runs to the right and left of the lift looking up the mountain are scary as sh*t, so don't make those your first runs of the first day... (Sundance Bown, Near South, Lower Mambo)...  Wait still the carving clinic for steeps before attempting...

And yes, watch out for the lift chairs.  The pole is in the center.  Make sure you are off to either side of the pole, or you will get whacked in the backside...

Also, impact pads for hip and tailbone, and knee pads are helpful...

Make sure you have 4x4 and good snow tires.  The turn front the main road to the road that goes up to Turner Mountain can get slippy...

1 hour ago, timbox18 said:

Make sure you have 4x4 and good snow tires

4x4 is nice but not required if you have snow tires. Unless it really dumps! 

Biggest tip of all: If you're not sure about something, ask! Everyone is super friendly! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, snowcat_az said:

Wondering how demo gear would work, given that everyone needs specific bindings setup. Tweaking it for 10-15 min, then taking just couple of runs, means a lot of overhead.

And BTW, are the demo boards normally equipped with bindings, or I use my own ones ?

Bring your own bindings….please…. as I will not have any for the Tanker demos I am bringing.

Edited by svr
  • Thanks 2

On 1/17/2022 at 5:27 PM, ktv said:

Be prepared for a wild ride on the lift at Turner. I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned it? Or maybe I'm the only wuss that's deathly afraid of it when there's snow on the seats?

I loaded in the morning after it snowed, and right after sitting down with the chair swinging forward I was ejected forward off the chair from the snow. After, each ride there was snow on the seat I was clinging onto the pole and @pow4everfor fear of falling off riding up 😮

Half point unloading might interest some people on their first day or run. It will allow you to take a shorter path to the bottom if you need to tweak you setup or change clothing. Might help to quell ones fears of what Turner looks like once you are close up. That first impression as you drive up the forest road can make your heart beat a little faster.  

• Like 1

The half way get off scares me ( and I'm not scared of the steep) 8' drop on the ramp 8' cat track uphill slope/wall better turn quick. This is a Riblet chair lift fist built for Mt Hood in 1936 this one's not that old. They do like to swing if you move around after you sit down but it stops after the first tower or so. Not sure way everyone's trying to scare the first timers if you can get slide down a blue square at your resort you'll be fine. Go  all the way to the top take a left hang right down Cabinet ave to cat track to Mo Z down  bring a tool ( or ask someone passing by) to make adjustments on your first run if your not dialed in. This is from someone with a Subaru with studded M&S who found the ditch and blocked the the last mile of the road on a 2 1/2 foot powder day They did find a big truck to pull me out and I'm still coming back

I read on sched that there is a Leash Rule for MCC. I’m a first-timer this year and would have showed up “off leash!”

I will round up my leashes and happily use for MCC. Leash Rule could be a good add to first-timer list. Can’t wait to meet up and carve it up, mcc 2022.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 8:27 PM, ktv said:

lol; you need to eat more.  We have a picture of the incident (middle one) me and KTV.  maybe it's just reenactment 🤣
snow-king-chairlifts.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright everyone, little fresh look "post-mortem" (in good meaning, LOL !)

The slopes are steep ! Pretty fluent with pumping and speed carving, and - surprise ! - neither works on steeps. The only place where I could do it my regular way, was middle section of Pneumonia, starting day 2. Everywhere else - push-pull to begin with.

The brilliant idea of bringing brand new boots to set up on site using community knowledge didn't work that well. Half a day spent on tweaking (thanks @dredman and Chester 👍) just to get to minimally viable configuration, and then realize that new tongues and better liners are needed anyway. Conclusion - bring proven gear so you can concentrate on important things.

For the same reason didn't demo a single stick, having a week pass - too many variables already.

Wish I would bring 4WD 173 instead of Speedster RS 185 (which I took out only once, for waxing 😆). Again, steepness has been underestimated. So longer yet softer boards with smaller SCR would be the main tools.

With all above, clinics were a revelation ! Hing, Chester and Matt - kudos, dudes ! You guys have an eye, know how to break things up into basic steps and explain in simple words. My progress moved forward with every run.

All said about atmosphere is not a joke. Friends party it is. Highlight of a season.

Thanks Dave, Kristin, and everyone who helped bringing it together 👍

• Like 6