Note to New Members ×

Donek Rev+AF Plate=HELL!

barryj

So I picked up a fairly new and hardly ridden Rev 163 that's even UPM! 

Wow!   Love the Rev ride!  It's the Go-kart turny little bandit I was looking for! 

So I direct transferred the UPM AF plate with BP bindings off the K168 (which transformed an already Wow! board into an OMG Ride!) and put it on the Rev and surprisingly that was an OMG Terrible Experience!

Really wouldn't track at any  speed, just felt wrong and considerable effort!  It was so bad I was convinced I must have reversed the bindings fore and aft in my haste....but nope I had them on correct!

Was really anticipating the AF plate was going to kick the Wow! level Rev into the K168 OMG! Ride level.....but Nope!

Am I missing something here???   What do the Sages say??

Edited by barryj

• barryj changed the title to Donek Rev+AF Plate=HELL!

Put a Donek F-plate on it, they're designed for SL boards, and the 163 Rev, while great w/o a plate was developed with input from racers who were mounting something like an F-plate, Vist or K-plate. 

I just rode an F-plate for the first time the other day and I love it. I put it on my 175 Rev. It's the prototype Sean made for my daughter. She preferred it to the Vist and K-plate because it was more compliant, in that it didn't change the flex of the board as much. Yet it still dampens the ride, absorbing bumps & ruts, and provides superb even edge pressure.

The AF is probably better on a longer board, like 175 or greater.

10 minutes ago, barryj said:

The AF UPM  Really amped up the already great ride on my K168.......that's why I thought it should work also on my Donek UPM 163.

Only rode an AF once when Sean set me up with it on a 180 Rev. He did say it was supposed to be more compliant (rider friendly) than his A plate. I suppose it's right there in the names of his plates; A-plate(the full iso), F-plate (vist/K-plate types), AF plate (combination of the 2). 

My memory tells me the AF didn't have that hoverboard feel of the Boilerplate, but I still felt somewhat detached from the board.

The F-plate has a much nicer board feel, like it's part of the board. But, that's on my 175 Rev. I suspect it might a have more noticeable effect on the flex of a shorter board, but not near as much as the AF or Boilerplate.

I've been to a lot of races over the years and don't recall ever seeing a full isolation plate on a SL board. Always something like Vist/F-plate/K-plate and very occasionally Geckos, until Allflex appeared. There must be a reason...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, barryj said:

The AF UPM  Really amped up the already great ride on my K168.......that's why I thought it should work also on my Donek UPM 163.

Seconded.  The AF turned my K168 into a hockey skate.  Surprised at Barry's experience on the Rev.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I meant, does he still have "F" plates for sale. I see it on the Donek website, 4x4 only. 

Regardless, I rode up the chair with Thedo (USA head alpine coach) last week at the NorAms and he was riding an F-plate on his Rev 163. Said he really prefers it for free riding compared to other plates. Said All-Flex great for race courses, in his opinion, not so much for recreational carving. 

btw @barryjI hope you're doing better. Looked like a bad crash. 

Several years ago I was hit similarly, as I was coming to stop at the end of the lift line. A time when you think you're safe from bombers. A skier rode up the back of my 1 week old Rev pealing off the metal edge at the tail and knocking me down. I think he was totally out of control, no attempt to stop. I came out ok. He took quite awhile to get up (initially I swore at him, then I eventually asked him if he was okay). He never apologized–just got up and walked away. I got the vibe he thought it was my fault that he ran into me.

• Like 1