Note to New Members ×

HEATED SOCKS?

snowburn

Thinking on getting a pair if their worth it. I noticed on very cold days below 0F I have to leave after 2 hours because of frozen toes and heals. Even with toe warmers don't seem to cut it. Still with plenty of toe wiggle room and calves aren't too tight either. How many hours does these work? Is the battery high enough to clear hard boots? How cold does these not work well? Brand suggestions? Thanks in advance! 

I was worried about the little wires flexing and breaking over time with socks. Maybe it's not an actual issue? 

The in-boot heaters are nice and my Hotronics have lasted hundreds of days and 10+ years, but they only warm the toe area. With Boot Gloves on the boots and the heaters on 3 (of 4 settings), I can make it 2-3 hours in -20F (-30C) before my heels get cold. By then, something else is also usually cold. 

I do like that you could use the socks in other boots/skates/etc. 

Wife and kids have had the socks for about 3 and a half years without any problems yet.  We don't wash them quite as often as regular wool socks, but they haven't gotten stinky.  With rigid ski boots, I guess there isn't too much flexing with the wires. 

I can only dream of -30C weather!  When I first moved to Kongsberg we had a few winters where diesel gelled in people's cars and everybody stayed home and off the slopes.  Amazing!

• Like 1

I just went through this debacle.. 

Never mind... I ended up going with therm-ic foot bed unit.  Just used them today and it's the best thing I have ever done for my feet... The unit is very compact unlike hotronic.. 

Can't justify the cost of a smelly sock you have to wash all the time.. Especially on a trip.. Plus the good Lenz brand is over 300.wtf!!  Yea I'll get a couple of pairs... 

But heated toes maybe worth the weight of gold.. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use a forced air boot dryer to pre-heat my boots for 30 to 45 minutes before riding then turn on the Hotronic heaters while driving to the hill.  If going with footbed heaters I suggest routing the cables under the toes rather than routing under the heel as less friction.  Rubbing your feet with foot or body lotion also helps before putting your socks on.

On 1/8/2022 at 9:45 PM, Shred Gruumer said:

I just went through this debacle.. 

Never mind... I ended up going with therm-ic foot bed unit.  Just used them today and it's the best thing I have ever done for my feet... The unit is very compact unlike hotronic.. 

Can't justify the cost of a smelly sock you have to wash all the time.. Especially on a trip.. Plus the good Lenz brand is over 300.wtf!!  Yea I'll get a couple of pairs... 

But heated toes maybe worth the weight of gold.. 

Do you have custom footbeds? If so, did you just place the Cambrella insole that comes with on top of the custom insole?

My wife uses Lenz socks and likes them better than her old Hot-tronic.  One really nice thing, you can adjust them on your phone via Bluetooth.  The Lenz battery is much more sleek and isn't in danger of getting knocked off your boot.  You fold it under the top of the sock.  Maybe HT has these features now, IDK. 

I agree the price is eye-watering, but if the disposable warmers aren't cutting it, socks can be worth it.  Fortunately the disposables work for me down to about 0F, colder than that and I need to take a warm-up break.  The cost analysis for me strongly favors the disposables which you can get in bulk on Amazon for less than $1 a pair.

• Like 1