Note to New Members ×

MountainCreek 2021/2022

jtslalom

Rode today Friday 1/7/22 for the first time this year. The season has gotten off to a SLOW start. Yes the mountain has been open for about two weeks but today was the first day worth while for riding. Surprisingly the conditions were not bad. MC has been making snow every chance they can get since this past weekend and it has paid off. Took 5 runs and can honestly say that conditions were pretty good. Trail width is not quite there yet but you can carve edge to edge on smaller boards. The only way down from the top is Turnpike so there aren't many choices for runs but they are making snow on Garden. South is open as well but again there is only one run down the south summit. Is it worth the drive from NYC, No. If you are looking for variety, go north. If you are looking to burn your legs through human gates then MC is a good choice. See you there.

Jt

5 hours ago, jtslalom said:

Rode today Friday 1/7/22 for the first time this year. The season has gotten off to a SLOW start. Yes the mountain has been open for about two weeks but today was the first day worth while for riding. Surprisingly the conditions were not bad. MC has been making snow every chance they can get since this past weekend and it has paid off. Took 5 runs and can honestly say that conditions were pretty good. Trail width is not quite there yet but you can carve edge to edge on smaller boards. The only way down from the top is Turnpike so there aren't many choices for runs but they are making snow on Garden. South is open as well but again there is only one run down the south summit. Is it worth the drive from NYC, No. If you are looking for variety, go north. If you are looking to burn your legs through human gates then MC is a good choice. See you there.

Jt

Only in Jersey would a ski area name runs after major highways. I last skied there back in 85, spending most of my time at Great Gorge

I miss the grittiness and pork roll, though Kneel is supposed to hook me up next time he makes it out west

Nice" move along, nothing to see here" shot at New York btw

Mario

Edited by big mario

I always buy a pass.  I say I'll never do it again.  But I know I will.  She's that 2AM booty call.  More like 8:30AM till 10AM, then make the walk-of-shame back over the bridge to the truck where I sob uncontrollably.  I think it's been cold home so hopefully they expand the terrain a bit when I return from my view of the American Eagle lift at Copper...

• 2 weeks later...

1/21/22 This morning MC had probably close to 1/3 of all their snow guns on. Zero-G is now open and I think by tomorrow Saturday, Great Northern, Indian Pass, and Kyber Pass will be open. By this weekend they will be nearing 100% open. We had about an inch of snow fall yesterday so  I rode for 5 runs (Day number 8). The inch of snow compacted with frozen granular made a scratchy corduroy. Not quite favorable conditions but not horrible. I would suspect by the way MC is making snow that both Saturday and Sunday early mornings will be good. See you there.

Jt

Edited by jtslalom
  • Like 1

I was there Thursday morning, @jtslalom 👍

I couldn't explain the conditions.  Thought it to be the perfect MK day, but couldn't do a thing with it and left after 5 runs. 3 layers. Soft fluffy top, crispy cookie bottom and a smooth peanut butter center.  Oh and sprinkle some pretzels on the top too.  Perhaps the groomers had too much of the wacky weed with Wacky Jackie?  Found plenty of grooming grenades.

Rode today 1/23/22 Sunday. Got first lift up at north. Conditions were ok for carving. Some sketchy spots but with low light conditions, it was hard to tell what was good and what wasn’t. Rode with two other carvers and 1 1/2 hours into the morning it got packed. We rode the sugar lift just to have room to make some turns. Skiers left on sugar had good snow. Garden State is now wide but conditions were at best, ok.

• 4 weeks later...

Ups and downs. That's how it's been at MC lately. If the temps stay well below freezing then the frozen granular conditions make for a pretty good corduroy for the first 2 or so hours. It gets scraped off pretty quick on weekends though. If the temps stay above freezing then the corduroy lasts about an hour and turns into a sea of peas on a lake. Sharpen those edges cause your probably gonna need them. We are suppose to get some rain and warm temps over the next few days. Spring conditions are upon us.

Jt

• 2 weeks later...

Rode today at MC (Saturday 2/26/22) After getting 2 solid inches of nothing but sleet and ice I thought conditions would be bad. I was wrong. It was actually pretty good. The frozen granular made for a firm but carvable base. Most trails are narrower because of all the warm weather we've had lately. MC has done a good job keeping snow on the hill but trail widths have suffered. Bear peak is still good with racing trail and KK as wide as they can be. If you have the chance get out and enjoy the slopes. I don't think it is going to last much longer.

Jt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
March 10 was my last day out on the hill and it was a fantastic morning. The snow was actually firm and carving was close to a 10. The last 12 days have brought warm sun and rain. MC is now officially closed as of 6 pm Sunday night 3/20/22. This season was not a great one for snow conditions. I live in Vernon (34 years riding) and can say it was one of the worst seasons for snow in some time. MC did a good job with what they had but the late start compounded with an relatively early end made only for a good 10 weeks of riding. Most of which was on sub-par conditions. Once again MC did its best to keep it as nice as possible. Hopefully next year will bring more winter storms and cold temps. We'll just have to wait and see.

Jt

• Like 1