Note to New Members ×

Paoli Peaks 21/22

lonbordin

Tonight was awesome.

Squeaky snow... so rare here... and snowing.

One lift, two runs... sigh. (They did run the magic carpet briefly)

On the S5 boots all night. Put the F2s on the Donek went 47/40 looking for a little more surfy feel. I think the tweaking is done. I might stop bringing the UPZ at all. W00t!

I could've used another layer as the evening drew to a close. Who cares? Out ripping with my son. It was great, really great.

Oh, they were still out pushing features... these are the biggest features I've ever seen at Paoli... someone is going to get seriously hurt.

Photos-

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tqP2YxL4NgvmeVTt9

Edited by lonbordin
Yeah I'll be out tomorrow.

Snow was excellent.

Crowds were all time.  One of the hours we got 5 runs. A run commonly takes less than a minute.

Apparently a major injury occurred this afternoon on those features... less than a day... I'm not surprised at all.

Rode with my son. Worked on the last 1% on the S5's.

I enjoyed my time and look forward to tomorrow.

No photos today... who wants to look at long lifelines at Paoli?!?!

Fantastic snow, is this real life???

Rode with my son and our friend.

I was on fire, seriously, it warmed up to 50f. Had to strip off all the layers.

Missed you this weekend @Mike Blanz, snow was fantastic.

The park has this middle section that is so carvable and fun... so nice. 👌

I cannot believe I have to wait until Thursday evening to do this again. 😩 

There are signs of the hours that the OPS is working so that we can have a season. F#$k Vail C level leadership.

Microcosm of Paoli in a photo-

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XYWXBHw85zDC1qF7A

So like an idiot I took half day FTO to be there at open. Open is 1300

I was not worth it. Glare ice under dust everywhere. Super sketchy.  Only one lift and half of the hill open.  I get 8-12" of snow at home and they get ice and a dusting. 

I'd go for a Carve then hit the rough solid ice lurking below. I finally found an okish line. Left around 1600

Photos-

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UxEnws52N5B2JGQq9

Edited by lonbordin
Did I mention only one lift running and less than half of the hill open?!

12 hours ago, lonbordin said:

So like an idiot I took half day FTO to be there at open. 

tell your employer that you attended an onboarding event

glare ice sucks.  in the past i would've left after 1-2 runs.

crashed ice is better!

post-556-0-24710500-1456674659.jpg.86bb555bf0cfc3802e36045283c7bcf5.jpg

amazing you stuck it out a couple hours.

At the peaks at open.  Funkadelic playing at volume 11.  Bring it!

Fantastic. Tore that fragile groom to shreds on Mindbender. Then spent the rest of the day pretty much in the park.  Didn't ya' know the park often has the best groom/lines?!  Got to ride a few with my son who came down late in the day with our friend.

The patrol tried to interrupt my flow... wasn't happening... just carved around them.  Beautiful day.

I ruined the park.  Told the park groomer and he gave me a high five. F*ck Vail.

Photos- https://photos.app.goo.gl/bTo9Jd7kdLWnz9C58

Edited by lonbordin
The only bummer is I have to wait until Thursday to do it again.
  • Like 3

Sorry I missed you @GeorgeS.

The lifties were telling me a guy was there with the same bindings as me and a blue board. That's all the info they had... 🤣

I went that evening due to work commitments and it was soft and fun early but as soon as the sun fell behind the horizon it went into hyper firm mode, not fun. Set like concrete. 

I didn't go yesterday due to the rain. Yeah I'm slack... second day they've been open that I missed. 

Heading there this morning. 

They now have a Webcam running - 

https://www.paolipeaks.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/mountain-cams.aspx

Good afternoon on the slope with my son. 

Snow was more sugar today with boiler underneath, usually far enough underneath not to be an issue. 

We dodged a bullet today. A young adult skier went through the slow netting at high speed and flew 15 yards to hit us while waiting in the lift line. She hit my right boot first which was in the air as I was in the motion of moving forward then hit my son. He's 6'7" 280 and she took his feet out from under while ejecting him from his 11+ DIN bindings. He avoided falling on her and the only damage was part of this binding was sheered off and a small bit of his boot was shaved off. Cosmetic damage only. There were two patrollers there at the time and they were checking her out and having a talk with her. 

I'll admit my brain did not initially grasp what was happening as we were very far from the slow signs and netting and nearly to the lift. She must have been flying. 

Check out the PP resort photo at 1700 today, dark. Sad really. I remember people actually watching the superbowl here in years past. 

Oh and the sides of the runs are well defined and shrinking. We're definitely on the downside of the season. 

Photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Rd2X1VpFkDbnkSp7

Edited by lonbordin

On 2/14/2022 at 8:10 PM, GeorgeS said:

“We dodged a bullet today.“

Wow. Glad you’re both ok.

I will be back up there probably on the 24th

and then again on the 27th.

hopefully the snow holds up.

Thanks! The forecast is not favorable BUT if PP is open, I'll be there! 

Edited by lonbordin
... like a cancerous mole on your back... I'm always there... 😜

What a 24 hours...  sometimes the self-inflicted wounds cut the deepest.

Thursday-

Watching the radar... rain all day... thinking there's no hope for making some runs...  and I really want to make some runs as I did some binding adjustments and the DGSS system is installed.  I spot a break, grab my gear and race down to Paoli... as I pull in the parking lot the rain is stopping.  W00t!  There are like five staff and three people riding in trash bags.

Ride 1.5 hours in some really sketchy conditions but see the promise in all the changes. Rain starts coming back. Head to the car, put the board on the roof racks, and start getting out of ski stuff for the ride home.
Just get in the car when the rain returns in earnest.  Whew!  Look at the radar and see snow is on the way, much more so where I'm going so I decide to head out hoping to beat the dropping temps and the soon to be slick roads.

Photos of Thursday- https://photos.app.goo.gl/63a6wT55EwSVb2wV9

Just north of Paoli I realize I didn't put the board in the car.  Turn around, drive back, search incessantly, no board.  The GM even took a drive around looking, no dice.  It's snowing, dark, and I decide to drive back to Paoli tomorrow to be there at first light.

Was at Paoli at first light, drove, searched, hiked the whole roadside, hiked off the road where corners made it likely the board would come off... hiked down in a couple of ravines. 

Made FB post/craigslist post... I lost my favorite board 179 Donek with Geckos and new F2s.  Deep cut.

Had a bunch of meetings so I worked off the phone hotspot in the parking lot.  Decided I'd just get lunch and ride Paoli at open (1300) for an hour then head home.

The groomers had arrived early like me as the rains had trashed the slopes.  I wasn't expecting much but I got their best restoration job since I've been riding at Paoli.  

It was a fun day back on the Nirvana.  It started to get a lot softer quick but the first 40 minutes was superb.

Photos of Friday- https://photos.app.goo.gl/8k1f4N39c1rpaa4G6

Edited by lonbordin
dammit, I really liked that setup...
  • Sad 5

I keep missing @Mike Blanz but not today... Got to take some laps. He was on his Donek MK but not an MK and ripping. Conditions were variable headed to soft.

Unfortunately one of my party hurt his back and we had to take and early departure after a late arrival.

Tomorrow is bonus day.  11-5. I think I will be there all day. 

The spaces that connect the runs is getting thin and the forecast is hot and rainy I doubt we make the 6 March closing date. 

Edited by lonbordin
yeah, no photos... I suck