Note to New Members ×

FS - Donek Flux and MK

pmorita

Donek Flux 168, 26 waist - Received this board in May and rode it twice this week.  Whatever the standard specs are for a Flux for my weight of 175.  Thought it would big a big difference from my Incline, but the overlap quite a bit so I'm going to sell this one.  Practically new.  $500 plus shipping or pickup in NY or VT.

Sold - Donek MK - Don't think you can change the specs on this so however it comes, that what I have.  Had this for one season and rode it a dozen times or so.  Waxed it before I put it away for the summer and have not been out on this since.  Some binding suck on the base.  Bindings not included and I left them on as I am riding this in a few weeks if no one wants this (and we get some snow).  $500 plus shipping or pickup in NY or VT.

I know it's a stretch, but looking to try a Thirst SF if anyone wants to part with one.

Happy New Year.

20220102_212119.jpg

Edited by pmorita

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

May I have more details on the spec of flux? It’s probably a little long for me (I’m 5’10, 165lb), but still wanted to see if it may work for me. 
Would be great if you can help measure the width under both feet? Want to see what would be minimum angles for my boots.

hey Z. no pressure. we're all friends here. this board is pretty mint; especially for a first time dedicated carve board. current owner has a 10.5 boot while a 9.5 step on would be even better. you both ride northeast terrain and surface conditions. this board will have a stiffer flex and different riding characteristics than an 8.6m dart. the 10m tail will send you downhill and will take some getting used to if you've never ridden vsr before. my first dedicated board was a donek saber with an 8-11.5m scr for bx racing, 26.5 waist with a size 12 boot. i rode with power plates to raise my feet that made this work better, but still. i have some JJA plates listed if that interests you. you're ahead of the game with this one imo. or go custom for 900+. idk man. just trying to help. pretty much led to water with this one. food for thought.

Edited by dhamann
missed this: 168 flux from 160 dart is big (at first and maybe second))

1 hour ago, dhamann said:

the 10m tail will send you downhill

I thought 8.5-10m VSR would mean nose/tail have 8.5m sidecut, while middle body has 10m sidecut? Did I get that wrong?

1 hour ago, dhamann said:

26.5 waist with a size 12 boot

After using riser plates, what minimum angles can you ride on this setup without drag? I thought size 12 boots would need a waist of 30cm lol 

Appreciate your suggestions by the way! I know this board is great deal, but I’m also wondering whether or not my first carving-focused board should be custom made to fit. So I need to get some of the facts right, like vsr and risers. 

rewind. i've never heard of that interpretation before and never felt my boards to hook at the tail while finishing a turn as they do at the nose to initiate the beginning of a turn with a vsr. an 8.5-10m scr is 8.5 at nose and grows to 10m at the tail. if it were 8.5/10/8.5 then it would not be a variable sidecut radii. this example would average a singular 9m scr. add the three and divide by three. add the two and divide by two and you get 9.25m average vsr. generally speaking. i don't quite follow the elliptical sidecuts as with kesslers, etc, but frankly i could care less. give me the average and let me know if it's vsr like sg snowboards does and i'll figure it out. singular scr vs vsr are helpful to know when buying so hopefully this helps clear things up.

On 2/28/2023 at 11:27 AM, dhamann said:

risers on all boards that help with bootout and keep toes/heels ontop of the edge of the board with my riding angles (+36/+9 or 12) but not over. one could add maybe one or two cm to this if they don't use a riser plate, but riding a little narrower helps with quicker edge to edge, control, feel, bite, etc... "quick" with a 28 waist, not a 16. i find that some taper also helps with quicker edge to edge. ankles and softboots flex so the board will never be 90 degrees, railing an edge, digging into the snow to permit needing a board waist wider than your foot size imo. if the board is at 90 degrees, dragging forearms get involved. unnecessary strain on ankles, legs, arm, elbow, jacket and back. different strokes for different folks.

a 9.5 boot has never had to deal with the struggle of board widths like a size 12. thankfully this has improved with manufacturers in more recent years and custom boards are more readily available. my compromised riding history is probably why i prefer to be ontop of the edge and not need the whole boot to be inside the edge to turn and carve. i see no need for it except to make excuses, bragging rights and sell boards. ie. 'if you're not on the edge you're taking up too much space'. applies here too imo. why are the smaller footed countries so far ahead of the softboot carving world? aside from being extraordinarily limber and young. never had an issue with boot drag, but they're not all size seven either. for example, average asian foot size is 9 where american is 10.5. a 26 waist was 'wide' just a few years ago and obviously works for 10.5 because this is the sellers boot size for this board. i recall that Sean didn't agree with my 26.5 waist when i had it made, but he also wanted to go much wider than i felt comfortable with. this all comes down to preference at the end of the day. there's a lot of discussion and information throughout these pages where there is no 'secret'. it's just a matter of finding what's right for you and understanding the differences. gotta get out there and ride em. this comes with time, buying and trying different boards and other equipment. as it's been mentioned before, you can buy a board from someone here, try it and if you don't like it then put it back up for sale for the cost of shipping. might as well get started somewhere. although this board is a sweet board for you, a 168 might be something to work up towards. however, the smaller vsr than what you thought you may 'need' makes it a contender though. it will ride like a big boy board for you if a 160 dart is the largest board you've been on. if compromises can't be made (well understood around here), then be prepared to keep that wallet out.

sorry to hijack the thread @pmorita. this board is perfect for most anyone described above. she's a keeper for someone. can't believe it's still here actually.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dhamann said:

an 8.5-10m scr is 8.5 at nose and grows to 10m at the tail. if it were 8.5/10/8.5 then it would not be a variable sidecut radii

Yeah I think you might be right, now I remembered Sean’s demonstration in his video..I remembered wrong.  

interestingly there is a famous Japanese board called “Gray Desperado Ti” which has 3 radius for the same board, like 9600/9200/10200. I guess it has the same overall design as Donek’s VSR, but they tightened the radius in the middle for a bit. Not exactly sure what it does to the riding thou.

Link to the Gray’ spec book if interested: http://graysnowboards.co.jp/pdf/21-22_GR_CL_GRAY_english.pdf

Funny, I got a chance to hop on a Gray Desperado “Type R” for a run two weeks ago. Some Japanese guy from Toronto was also carving and interested in my wide softboot Coiler, so we switched for a run. I think it was a 160, so a bit smaller than my 163. 

Anyway, it was way too narrow in the waist, probably around 25cm. To me that’s just crazy talk for something that’s supposed to be a softboot carver, but they obviously design them to use a high-angles softboot stance. He had slightly bigger feet than me and was using something like 42/30 or so? Personally if I have to run high forward stance angles and stick to groomers, just give me hard boots please!! 

With all due respect it was a very nice board but my Coiler crushed it, hahaha. Dude couldn’t get used to the 24/9 lower stance angle I was trying out, but he seemed pretty shook at how amazing it is on the Coiler and he locked in one toeside carve that might have blown his mind. 🤣

Anyway, rest assured that niche manufacturers like Donek, Coiler, Thirst etc make world-class boards! This Flux is an amazing ripper but you’ll need to consider your foot/binding size and your preferred stance angles. 

32 minutes ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

Funny, I got a chance to hop on a Gray Desperado “Type R” for a run two weeks ago. Some Japanese guy from Toronto was also carving and interested in my wide softboot Coiler, so we switched for a run. I think it was a 160, so a bit smaller than my 163. 

Anyway, it was way too narrow in the waist, probably around 25cm. To me that’s just crazy talk for something that’s supposed to be a softboot carver, but they obviously design them to use a high-angles softboot stance. He had slightly bigger feet than me and was using something like 42/30 or so? Personally if I have to run high forward stance angles and stick to groomers, just give me hard boots please!! 

With all due respect it was a very nice board but my Coiler crushed it, hahaha. Dude couldn’t get used to the 24/9 lower stance angle I was trying out, but he seemed pretty shook at how amazing it is on the Coiler and he locked in one toeside carve that might have blown his mind. 🤣

Anyway, rest assured that niche manufacturers like Donek, Coiler, Thirst etc make world-class boards! This Flux is an amazing ripper but you’ll need to consider your foot/binding size and your preferred stance angles. 

Haha I've been waiting to hear someone compare the Gray Desperado & Custom boards like Donek. Thanks for sharing! Yeah most of the top riders in Japan & Korea use very high angles (36/27, 42/30, etc.), and most of the carving boards they make are narrow, don't see many options above 26cm waist - and I was struggling to find something that might suit me from those brands.

My next board will probably be Donek Flux, gonna custom it to a 27 or 27.5 cm waist. Hopefully I will be able to quickly fix my bad habits and make my boards worthwhile.

• 8 months later...