Note to New Members ×

Racer looking to graduate to Hardboots... possibly

Justin

Hello,

I race in a league at Shawnee peak in Maine and have been riding an F2 WC Carbon with stiff union bindings and stiff Solomon softboots for race nights. 

I've been racing SL and GS for about 7 years. @Jack M was on my team for a few years actually. 

My times have been improving but still I have a long way to go. I've been eyeballing a F2 Eliminator WC titanal 166W and Now O-drive bindings for the upcoming season,  but I'm also considering getting a hardboot setup and trying to make myself actually competitive in the slalom. What do I do? Go for the slightly better softboot setup and know that I'm going to possibly improve slightly, or go for the hardboot setup knowing that I'm going to suck at first but will eventually start posting decent times? 

6'0", 190 lbs. 

Hi Justin!  The short answer... nobody races World Cup or even NorAm in softboots for a reason.  However, becoming faster in a course on hardboots than you are in softboots will take time and practice.  If you only race in hardboots and do all your other riding in softboots, it probably won't happen.  If freecarving on an alpine setup is of interest to you, then I'd say spend as much as you can on good gear and you will become faster in the long run.  It's been a while since I've seen you ride so maybe it won't take long at all.  A good test is if you are already carving confidently on your existing gear.  That is, can you carve your downhill edge and fluidly make repeated carves with no steering or skidding?  Honestly I don't recall if you were doing that already or not, sorry!

You'll want a 162 or 163 SL board, and I have to say my stock Kessler 180 was a dream in the Shawnee GS courses.  Not a fun board to freecarve, but man it just knows where the next gate is.  It took seconds off my times compared to my previous long freecarve boards.

For boots, if you have average to low volume feet, you'll probably do better with Mountain Slope or UPZ.  If you have a high volume ankle/instep area, maybe Deeluxe T700.  If you have narrow feet, Deeluxe 425.  If you're not sure of any of the above, and you can't try on anyone else's, I would say start with Mountain Slope or UPZ and hope for the best.  Check the classifieds.  Your mondopoint size is the length of your feet in centimeters.  My feet are 28.0 and 28.4 and I squeeze into 28s fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Jack Mthank you for such a complete answer. I think I'm going to go for the hardboot setup. It will take time and practice but honestly carving and getting faster in the gates is the only reason I ride these days aside from the occasional split board skinning and taking our daughter down the bunny slopes.

@lowrideryou have one hell of a point!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So I am about to pull the trigger on a pair of 27 Mondo mountain slope WC from allboardsports after trying on some 110 stiffness 27s at Gorham Bike and Ski in Brunswick. 

Now to find some bindings and a SL board to ride... here goes nothing

• 1 month later...