Note to New Members ×

Afton 21/22

Scott.Creer

12/12 - first day for me

They only had 2, 5, 6, and 8 running for lifts. Terrain was even more limited. Place got crowded and sporty quick. Not worth it to go right now. 

The best runs I got were on the rope in the rail yard which was empty till 10:30ish. Otherwise most of the time was spent in lift lines.

PXL_20211212_161417111.jpg

53 minutes ago, Scott.Creer said:

The best runs I got were on the rope in the rail yard which was empty till 10:30ish. Otherwise most of the time was spent in lift lines.

yikes. i heard that afton lines were really bad yesterday. buck was nowhere near as crowded as afton. 

1 hour ago, bobble said:

yikes. i heard that afton lines were really bad yesterday. buck was nowhere near as crowded as afton. 

It wouldn't have been so bad if people weren't shoved into 25% of the hill/lifts. The trail under 1 looked perfect, but it was closed for some unknown reason. 

Conditions were stellar otherwise. It will be great when things open up more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1/11/2022

I snuck out today for a few runs. With not opening till 1, shadows came quick on 7 and 2. I am not a fan of the mid week hours.

I went all over and I don't understand the lift choices. I get that there are staffing issues, but 13 as the lift choice to service all the Highlands. I know it is a triple, but it is painfully slow, and it makes skating needed if you want to use more than just 2 if the runs. 

There were some pretty spectacular looking mounds from the snow guns around.

Screenshot_20220111-153815.png

Edited by Scott.Creer
Cause I am dumb and can't spell
  • Like 1

Here is an update.

I skied on 1/10. Snow was great, most runs are open, about 1/3 the lifts need to access the terrain. It was cold so no one but the ski teams were there. The highlands are all open, but only 13 was running again, just incase you were not cold enough. I was glad I was skiing, I did a ton of skating.

1/17/22 - I miss reservations

I never thought I would say this, but I miss the reservation system. 

Limited lifts open and lines were forming before 10am. Michelle and I got a few runs in before it got sporty. 

13 & 16 were open in the Highlands

7&10 were open

1&3&4&5 looked like they were running too

For a holiday weekend, not ideal. 

Conditions were really good on snow though, with limited lifts open though people converging was pretty terrible. To get a clear run you needed to navigate between lifts. 

The ticket checker at 13 was saying "3 to a chair", to which I replied "even with omicron, you want to pack strangers together for a 10 minute lift ride?" His reply was "absolutely." We immediately left after that. 

13 is painfully slow. I understand it is a triple, but at it's speed it is hard to believe that the uphill capacity is any better than the others that would serve more terrain. I also don't know why 2 wasn't going instead of 1.

Getting bummed out fast this season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scott.Creer said:

1/17/22 - I miss reservations

The ticket checker at 13 was saying "3 to a chair", to which I replied "even with omicron, you want to pack strangers together for a 10 minute lift ride?" His reply was "absolutely." We immediately left after that. 

i wear a mask and will occasionally allow strangers to ride the chair. i try to be on the upwind side. unfortunately, my goggles always fog up so i pull my goggles off for the ride up. less than ideal.

wish i could just walk to the lift and start riding without going into the ticket office llike afton. you should've seen the buck's ticket office. 😡  when i was leaving it was crammed. i didn't see many people wearing masks. lots of kids. they have completely abandoned covid protocols. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bobble said:

wish i could just walk to the lift and start riding without going into the ticket office llike afton. you should've seen the buck's ticket office. 😡  when i was leaving it was crammed. i didn't see many people wearing masks. lots of kids. they have completely abandoned covid protocols. 

That is silly that buck does the seasons pass tickets like that. I can not think of another ski area that worked like that over 15 years ago. 

With the limited hours and limited lifts open when they are open, I don't think we will get our pass value this year. 

1 hour ago, Scott.Creer said:

That is silly that buck does the seasons pass tickets like that. I can not think of another ski area that worked like that over 15 years ago. 

they now have scanners. you wave your card and they hand you a ticket. its a lame compromise. they still touch the ticket. they also have a ticket window in the clock tower. i never knew it existed.

they're slow to change. they haven't repainted the lift in a couple decades.

• 2 weeks later...

1/28/2022 - firm and nice

We made some turns 10-12. There was a big race on 1, but from 5 over was pretty empty. Carving was nice, shower was really firm. The groomer hopped a bit when they were grooming, you could see the marks. 7 had a lot of inconsistency to it. It was also sticky with the base down, fast on edge. 

I impulsively ordered a kevlar OES this week. Excited for that, although I think my wife is judging me hard for getting another board. I will need to ditch either the SG or the Knapton. Not sure which, maybe both? We will see how the OES rides.

Polar vortex coming, need to get boot heaters going. 

4 hours ago, Scott.Creer said:

I impulsively ordered a kevlar OES this week. Excited for that, although I think my wife is judging me hard for getting another board. I will need to ditch either the SG or the Knapton. Not sure which, maybe both? We will see how the OES rides.

give her the knapton.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2/8

It was a day to take the afternoon off. It was really nice out. Conditions were pretty good in some spots. In other spots it was variable or there were holes. 

Had fun on the Knapton. 

Rode with Trent for a while and chatted. It was nice talking to another human being who doesn't live in my house. 

When I got home my new toy was waiting for me. Probably going back out tomorrow afternoon to play with that.

2/9/2022

I was out today with the new toy. First two runs I was thinking "oh crap, did I make a mistake getting this?" Then I went to the highlands and everything fell into place. The OES rails like my alpines used to. Really damp though, it take some leg work to control. However, the board never chattered once while I was there. Toe and heels don't drag when laying the beast over. 

I plan on being back out on Friday. 

Screenshot_20220209-174955.png

Screenshot_20220209-174926.png

Screenshot_20220209-174840.png

PXL_20220209_201521712.jpg

• Like 1

Michelle and I rode this morning for a few hours. It was hard and fast on 7, variable on other spots with the wind driven snow only sticking certain places. 

under 13 was the only enjoyable place to ride. 7 wasn't that bad, but it was fast.

The new OES held an edge great! I was super pumped, because a day like today would be miserable on the other softie set ups. 

2/25/2022

Top 10 day for sure today. It was amazing! I had 7 all to myself from 10am-10:40, and that is when Trent showed up at 7. We thrashed that till my better half got there at about 11:30. Stayed till about 1. 13 wasn't that great. Took some gopro footage that was utterly terrible. Totally unwatchable. 

PXL_20220225_160844628.jpg

• Like 2

Hello MN Carvers! I was referred to creating a post in this thread to inquire about gear. I'm wondering if anyone has some spare gear that they are willing to sell to help me get started in hard boot carving. I am looking for a decent board, bindings, and some quality boots size 28.5 or 29. Anything helps, thanks guys.