Note to New Members ×

In Pursuit of Soul

Keenan

This is a great video!  I smiled ear to ear the whole way through it.  

It takes a whole community to keep these smaller areas alive and thriving.  The Montucky Clear CUT is the biggest fundraiser of the year for Turner Mountain(volunteer operated and managed for 60 years). Thank you so very much to the MCC sponsors,  contributors and participants for supporting Turner Mountain!

I love the little girl’s response to the question “ What is your favorite part of skiing?”  Her answer “Going down the hill.”

• Like 2

That was fun.

I grew up skiing in central NY state at mom & pop areas and loved them. Quirky, different, odd and fun. I didn't ride at a "resort" until I was older and the attraction of those areas was a mystery to me. I didn't get it. Slowly I spent more and more time at bigger areas and learned to embrace them but the small local hill still has my heart.

Twenty + years ago my wife and I moved from the east to Bozeman, MT in no small part because of the wonderful community ski area here Bridger Bowl. I was the supervisor in the snowboard school for a few years and my wife has been a top shelf ski instructor here for 20 seasons now. It's home. These people are family. The lifties know my name and on a slow day they step out to where they can see me carving turns and there's much yelling and screaming. Patrol sees me coming to the top of the lift and they walk out to hand me a pancake with Nutella on it just because. I don't get that when I go to Big Sky just an hour down the road.

I hope to travel back east next winter and do some carving under the lights at Woods Valley and Snow Ridge where I grew up....600' and 800' vertical and it's going to be awesome.

Thanks for posting the link and for reading my story.

See you on the hill.

dave

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

That was awesome, watched it on the big screen.  It hit on lots of the reasons I mainly ride at Loveland and have had a pass there for close to 20 seasons now, I think it's still family owned, and has the "little area that could" vibe to it. I am always amused the nfl chooses to do promotions featuring parker the snow dog and our lil' podunk resort (compared to the monsters further west) on Broncos game day

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing that video- great stuff in there!  I started teaching snowboarding at a local indy hill in 1989, the first snowboard instructor they ever had.  I gave so few lessons I had to learn to ski so I could teach ski lessons and make any money.  I taught there for 13 years and then moved away for other work.  I eventually came back and was a patroller for 17 years.  Vail eventually bought the place, and it literally lost it's soul.  The whole "epic" mantra, a series of corporate d-bag managers coming though on there way up the ladder, the new façade on everything without really making many substantive changes... yuck.  I haven't been back in 6 years and now spend our riding time at other indy areas, even though many are hours away.    

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...