Note to New Members ×

carving boards in Tokyo (Gray, BC Stream, Moss, Ogasaka, Yonex, etc.)

gkanai

There's a district in Tokyo that has a lot (probably 20+ stores, I'm not kidding)  of sports gear stores (Kanda/Ogawacho area) and this was just two stores. I was on the hunt for some bib pants for the kid and didn't have time to shop carving gear but I plan to go back so will visit more stores and take better photos.

Edited by gkanai
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, philw said:

Dumb question.. so why is it that Japan / Korea are more carve oriented? 

I don't know for sure- I think it has to do with a few things. Japan was fairly early to jump onto snowboarding, only a few years after the sport launched, since Japan is a big winter sports country. 

Back in the early years of snowboarding, carving was much more prominent (if you remember the old Burton PJ boards, F2 had their Speedster race boards, Raichle had their hard boots (which are now the Deeluxe) etc. And so I think carving never went out of style in Japan. There's a lot of groomed runs in Japan and while Japan/Hokkaido is now famous for powder and off piste, I think snowboard racing and carving has always had it's place. When you see how many Japanese manufacturers make carving boards (Moss, Ogasaka, BC Stream, Gray, Yonex, etc.) it's clear that the carve/race market is vibrant even with 1/3 the population of the US.

12 hours ago, west carven said:

so gkanai how many more pics is there in the imgur link? 

I ended up posting all of the pics to this thread, so no need to go to Imgur.

On 12/7/2021 at 8:27 AM, philw said:

I can only think of resorts. No big mountains, lots of local resorts, with green-blue runs. Plus they somehow carving popular.

On 12/7/2021 at 7:27 AM, philw said:

The riders there have more soul and style and are not driven by image, marketing and advertising hype

but that’s just my cynical, jaded opinion

mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 6:27 AM, philw said:

In general, Japanese culture values technique, discipline, precision and "form" .... like in carving.

You see this in the choreographed martial arts "kata" routines (now an Olympic sport!).  

11 hours ago, gkanai said:

Japan was fairly early to jump onto snowboarding, only a few years after the sport launched, since Japan is a big winter sports country. 

I didn't know about that until i saw "dear rider" on HBO Max (Jack Burton).

Fun fact:  hello kitty have no mouth; the emotion you see are reflect of your own.

Is there a reverse phenomenal in Japan?  where free style is taking a back seat?  or both style progressive in relative harmony?

1 hour ago, pow4ever said:

Is there a reverse phenomenal in Japan?  where free style is taking a back seat?  or both style progressive in relative harmony?

Freestyle/park riding is also quite popular in Japan. Japan has a number of top freestyle/pipe boarders at the international level too including Ayumu Hirano who has won two silver medals at two Olympics in the halfpipe.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 8:37 PM, gkanai said:

There's a district in Tokyo that has a lot (probably 20+ stores, I'm not kidding)  of sports gear stores (Kanda/Ogawacho area) and this was just two stores. I was on the hunt for some bib pants for the kid and didn't have time to shop carving gear but I plan to go back so will visit more stores and take better photos.

I just wish someone would organize a carving trip with shopping.  Always wanted to ride there but would like to have a local in the know...  so we go to the least crowded best carving place.....

Who's in....ME...