Note to New Members ×

2006 EAST COAST EXPRESSION SESSION

Jack M

Yes, it's in Maine:

2mi3xy

The bald top of the mountain resulted from a fire many many years ago, however it has been very slow to grow back in, and will probably never grow completely back in due to the elevation (4237 ft - 2nd highest in Maine) and weather. It takes a LOT of snow to be able to ski up there.

Riding the backside snowfields is a unique experience in New England, since it is totally natural and there is no ski resort in front of you, so it looks like you are skiing off into the wilderness. There is a pitch on the backside that is <i>very</i> steep - jump turns required.

The frontside can also be exciting, however they have created a "trail" up there with snowmaking and grooming, called White Nitro (oooh aaaah). When you're riding that trail, you don't get the same effect of skiing a wide open treeless area. However the rest of the frontside does give you that, but it is rare that it has enough coverage to be opened. The picture in the top post (<a href="http://www.sugarloaf.com/images/cams/wallpaper/large/1098372394night.jpg" target="top">here</a> is a bigger version) was taken a number of years ago, during a very good snow year. The frontside was open then, and you can barely see White Nitro. In a low snow year, White Nitro stands out as a stripe of snow coming down the front. The backside seems to trap more snow, and is skiable more often. Chances are decent that it will be open during the ECES.

Originally posted by Derf

If you look at the directions page, it doesn't look that far.

Any Canadians have more info on passport issues? I read in the paper that next year, a passport will be obligatory to go to the US, whatever the reason.

Yeah, and by 2008, any Americans returning from Canada or Mexico will be also required to have a valid passport. This really is outa control. It will cost us all bigtime. I guess this is homeland securities way of making more money.

Look at how much it will cost to get a passport for US cictizens and maintain one

Here are the deadlines for the new passport enforcements

Originally posted by Derf

I'll try to go. Sugarloaf is not that far from Montréal and I have a stable enough job to prepare my vacations in consequence. Maybe I can try to convince others from Montréal to come with me.

I'll come even if i'll have to bite the dust all year long.... :D

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by tex1230

Talked to Sugarloaf central reservations today (slow day @ work) - got the lodging menu - anyone have an opinion as to grand summit hotel vs the condos on the mountain? pretty close in price.

A bit early for reservations - they usually have some good deals announced in the fall if you book before Nov/Dec 1st (can't remember which) Not sure what kind of deals Jack and Todd will come up with...

The hotel is right at the base, a short walk from the action - getting there from the condos can be a bit of a hassle (bus, car, or possibly slow lift) but have the advantage of kitchen and fridge and are usually cheaper.

So, is it winter yet?

too early for reservations - especially with 50% down

but just for info - early prices were:

1 br condo ~ $262/night lodging only

$305/night including 2 adult lift tix

2br condo ~ $356/night lodging only

$406/night including 2 adult lift tix

1 br suite in Grand summit ~ $286/ night

$352/ night incl 2 adult lift tix

I'm sure prices will change but was just figuring relative prices.

all prices were for 7 night package.

It is really too early to be talking about this, because we are going to be getting a <b>group discount</b>. What you hear from Sugarloaf is not what our deal will be. And judging from those numbers, our deal will be <b>much</b> more affordable.

I actually have some pricing now, but we haven't signed the contract yet, so it would be premature to announce them.

As for condos vs. Grand Summit hotel, our condo prices are based on maximum occupancy. That is, 8 people in a 3 bedroom condo. Right, 2 people on the pull out couch. The condos are cheaper than the hotel. The difference is not insignificant. The hotel prices are based on double occupany - 2 people in a hotel room.

You pay for what you get. The hotel is right in the village, and you can roll out of bed and walk a few steps to the Superquad. They offer more space and more privacy, but you'll have fewer pals. Things can get fun in a condo with 7 other carvers. The condos are more spread out, and they will involve possibly longer walks to the lift or a shuttle ride. But either way you'll be able to park your car and forget it. The shuttle service starts early and runs pretty late.

I have requested to Sugarloaf that we not be in the Snowbrook condos again. There were some complaints about the size, location, and ladder access to the second floor.

Thanks Jack - I realize you told me before about group discounts - I was just posting what I was told as a comparative rate scale (trying to figure out the cost differences, not the actual costs..)

Anyone have any experience with the sugarloaf snowboard school? My 4 year old (will be 5 when we're there) is an amazing skiier and skateboarder - think this week will be a good time to start him on a board...

anybody got some size 1 Indys and a Coiler 110?

(that's him in the avatar - with his first skateboard!)