Note to New Members ×

Is there a "one hard boot" solution out there for both splitboard and ski touring

mryakker

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a pair of Atomic Hawx 130 AT boots for my splitboard setup. I added the Phoenix lever link spring system to them. I also ski and I think the Hawx will be a good boot for skiing. Not hard charging alpine boots, but much more downhill capable than some of the very light weight AT boots out there. If I use them for skiing I will likely want to re-install the original Atomic levers on them. I'd enjoy renting/demoing a pair of AT skis to give the boots a try for skiing.

For snowboarding at the resort (not riding my split) I use Deluxee 700s with BTS blue springs. On days when I ride narrower boards I run steeper angles, so the longer length sole length of the Atomix Hawx would not work for me on those types of snowboards. The AT ski boots will be fine for when I'm riding wider all-mountain or powder boards, but I will likely continue to use my 700s for riding powder, as I really like them for that. And I don't see myself changing my binding sizing around to accommodate the Hawx. Hawx are nice and light and all, but I'm very satisfied with 700s for lift-accessed and such riding.

I'm a size 10 foot and wear size 27 boots. My Deluxee 700 soles are 289 millimeters long. My Atomic Hawx soles are 312 mm long.

I use scarpa's on the split. Super light but they're a bit stiff and clunky on a softer board, but they are great skiboots! I thought about doing some mods to soften them up but that would detract from their ski performance.

There is some compromise if I don't wanna change shoes, so unless I'm gonna ski and board on the same day I stick to my deeluxes w/stepins most of the time.

spacer.png

The same here. Scarpa Maestrale or Dynafit Radical will work. I was using Dynafit ZZero4 for years till destruction.  They were so light. Radicals are much heavier. And it is much easier  and safer to walk or climb up in AT boots than classic  HB soles boots.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the ski width, terrain and whether you're a hard charger or a mellow skier.  Aside from the usual hard charging AT boots like the Scarpa Maestrale and Dynafit Radicals, maybe look towards the 1100-1200 gram category like the La Sportiva Solar, Scarpa F1, Roxa RX Tour, Fischer Travsers, Dynafit TLT Speed. Ideally those boots pair up well with 85-100ish mm underfoot skis but still soft enough for splitboarding. I think that's the sweet spot for a one boot quiver.

I ski in the Roxa R3 130 flex resort/backcountry boot and kinda wanting to use it on an alpine board. My old Burton Wind were super painful and heavy. I had no issues alpine carving in a pair of stiff Dalbello. Does anybody else here ride in ski boots on an alpine set up?

On 1/15/2022 at 9:51 AM, PBnJ said:

I had no issues alpine carving in a pair of stiff Dalbello. Does anybody else here ride in ski boots on an alpine set up?

Yes, I actually prefer Dalbello CarveX for carving. For all-mountain, now I use a much softer hard boot, but did it on BTSed CarveX for years... 

• 10 months later...

I have Nordica TR-9 a stiffer version like the Rachel SB 121.  Way to heavy. 

Some touring boots either seem to be MUSH without progressive flex like The older Dynafit tour Lite Extreme, or abruptly stopping in flex like a brick wall.

I'd like a boot where the flex could be adjusted for skiing and snowboarding .

In 1985 with Wade Shimoda (I taught him to ride in 1984) I help advise him to design a Simultaneous releasable snowboard binding. Back then boards were getting longer and longer and we thought back then that people would get injured with boards over 175 cm. 

Now even though I like the flex pattern a Union Split binding would give - I get nervous about it not being able to release in an emergency. For riding  I prefer no release but want that option to release manually in an avalanche .

Id like to be able to pull a single ripcord and inflate the AVI bag and release the board.... with a. tether and detachable so it wouldn't drag you but you could find it and it wouldn't end up as a runaway snowboard  2000 vertical feet away from you, or flying off a cliff.

And having the right boot is something we need. Does anyone know of any good suggestions for a boot that has a convertible flex pattern for snowboarding ... hot knifing works but you can't go back easily

On 1/15/2022 at 9:51 AM, PBnJ said:

It depends on the ski width, terrain and whether you're a hard charger or a mellow skier.  Aside from the usual hard charging AT boots like the Scarpa Maestrale and Dynafit Radicals, maybe look towards the 1100-1200 gram category like the La Sportiva Solar, Scarpa F1, Roxa RX Tour, Fischer Travsers, Dynafit TLT Speed. Ideally those boots pair up well with 85-100ish mm underfoot skis but still soft enough for splitboarding. I think that's the sweet spot for a one boot quiver.

I ski in the Roxa R3 130 flex resort/backcountry boot and kinda wanting to use it on an alpine board. My old Burton Wind were super painful and heavy. I had no issues alpine carving in a pair of stiff Dalbello. Does anybody else here ride in ski boots on an alpine set up?

For a EE width 27.0 mondo which favor snowboarding more than Skiing ? Some of the boots are painfully too narrow and don't have enough cuff padding and hence cut aggressively into my leg when I load up the boot. Thank you for your valuable input there .