Note to New Members ×

Powder Board - i think i need an agile, darty board (i am tall, 200 lbs)

davekempmeister

7 minutes ago, neanderthal said:

Furburg is a interesting ride. Might love or hate it but it is not like a regular board. Overall it has less float than the Prior and is a bitch to fight through trees or in a tight space.   This is a dream if you have a wide open bowl of powder and you want to rip straightlines but the dream turns to nightmare if you need to fight some tight turn like a few moguls or a clutch move.

Im trying to think of any reason to take furberg over swallowtail in "wide open bowl".

If you want to straightline  and rip a run like the Freeride snowboard contests you might like the Furberg. It is stable at high speed and will do better if the snow is inconsistent. If you like to turn, turn, turn never slip - big powder 8s and there are trees involved I would pick something else.  Not sold on the swallowtail only in that it can get hooked up and there are some great designs with enough taper, width, setback  and short tails that also solve the same problem set.

Tried a few but all are more similar to the stormchaser. I have not ridden a winterstick or prior which is probably what your are asking.

I really want a winterstick especially as it has such a rich history and looks amazing but is probably hard to manage other than j a deep powder day.

There are a few reviews from heliski operations saying every time someone brings one they end up on a more regular shop board after a day.  Really not sure what to make of that and would love to hear from someone on this forum with experience.

I have two reverse sidecut boards ready to go next 3 foot dump. One from Corran and another by Fawcett but can't give a review of these yet. 

https://www.utahskigear.com/products/soul-waterman-snow-wave-powder-surf-snowboard-2020?variant=39518419714206&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAiAv_KMBhAzEiwAs-rX1A_8ar16RO01Np6l9P5Xq8oqp6G0jgBFNVV9ctUMslGM-Srbqyg94hoCeuYQAvD_BwE

by https://mountainculturegroup.com/snowboard-legend-mark-fawcett-launches-new-board-company/

The other board I really want to try and would love to hear about is the 420 powderhull.(https://www.yesnowboard.com/snowboards/321-22-420-ph.html#/4-size-154) It's s neat concept but all the reviews are from jibbers not carver

Edited by neanderthal

1 minute ago, LambertoMI said:

take a look at the SG 162 that is listed for sale.  Looks like its right what you are looking for

arneburner's ?

i was thinking about it but my concern is the stiffness - not too stiff ?

i am probably not going to be in hard boots.  stiff soft boots and NX2-GT bindings, but not hard boots.

Might be right Corey.  I may have misread the initial post.  Thought he was looking for a small spaces tight board not just a powder tool.  I have used small slalom boards in trees and powder with plates, but it is more challenging.  I would have used the SG for an all purpose tool that could carve and go in trees/etc.  But you are right, it is more challenging.

21 minutes ago, Corey said:

For powder? No way would a 162 slalom board be the optimal tool for that. 

ha ha !

when I saw the pic, i got a good laugh.  it's especially funny because I am getting a few powder boards together for a cat trip in January with a group of friends who always expect me to show up with a bag full of race boards.  the first time i ever hung out with this particular group was in Park City and I ended up hiking to the top of Jupiter peak in hard boots and an old race stock Burton FP 185 (RIP).

arneburner has an SG for sale that is actually a fairly good candidate for my needs.

i bought b0ardski's Osin 168.  the Osin is not short or darty, but it is shorter and dartier than my Tankers, for sure.

still looking for one other, shorter, more nimble board

Edited by davekempmeister

22 hours ago, BlueB said:

But it looks like a dart! 

I think you'll find it nimble. Will ride shorter than the length suggests. 

my thoughts exactly, BlueB.  not too worried because i know it's not a stiff board, i have the 3800 in the same length and am familiar with the feel (and i like it).  the nose on the 4807 looks like it has a little more float than the 3800 and the tail on the 4807 looks like what i want behind my back foot on steeps/in bottomless/at speed.  my hunch is that the 4807 looks like what i want when i want to frequently modulate speed in pow.  

i pretty much always ride Tankers in pow, 187 - 200.  comparatively, and given my size, the 4807 seems short and nimble looking enough for me.