Note to New Members ×

Powder Board - i think i need an agile, darty board (i am tall, 200 lbs)

davekempmeister

i am not exactly sure what i am looking for but i will know it when i see it.

i am going to need a board that is better in tight spaces than any of my Tankers.

i already have an Osin 168 that will probably suit the need, but i want something different.

nothing so exotic that i will be devastated if it gets nicked up - because it will.  badly.

i was actually thinking about arneburner's $200 SG but i think that might be too stiff or just not Pow specific enough ? yes/no?

also, it probably isn't going to be cigar shaped, whatever it is.

anyone have a Pow board that fits the description, to sell ?

Thanks for the replies,  all 3.

1. I will look at images of the Rossi Judge - no need to post pics.  Get back to you.

2. I have owned/ridden Heritage & Swift, respectively.  Very nice boards but not what I am looking for.   Thank You for posting.  I do appreciate it.

3.  Osin swallow- how much, boardski?

DM if you prefer.  Thanks

Thanks All

3 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Are any of these boards agile? I should think he’d be looking for a modern volume shifted board well under 160 in length. 

yes - compared to any of my Tankers.  the Undertaker maybe not so much but I am still grateful that anyone with an Undertaker is willing to sell tome.

also, in my original post, I referenced an Osin 168 that I own as probably adequate, but i want something different.

your point is well taken though, Neil.  i have ridden the Rossi Sushi, Jones StormChaser, Capita Spring Break - all iin short lengths.

Dave

9 hours ago, BlueB said:

Why not look for an Osin/Dynastar 3800, 169 or 163? 

I should have bought Dan's wicked Dynastar, a while back.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

How did you like those boards?

Jones, Capita, Rossi - in order,  from best liked to least liked.  All three between 148 and 154.  They all performed better than I expected, after looking at them underfoot.  I would probably get the Jones for myself but I have access to a friend's.

I've ridden the Capita Spring Break, correct size, a year or two back when they had a few distinctive designs at different sizes. The current ones are pretty much that same shape. That board rode ok in powder, but it didn't motivate me much so I moved on to other things. I rode it for 7 days I think and from memory it's the flatness that I'm not nuts about, something other Capita Boards also featured. I loved the Spring Break design and graphics and wanted to like it, but the Charlie Slasher was a better ride for me. It's odd because I actually like a number of rocker boards better than these, so something is not working as I'd really expect.

For me I really have to ride them, and in the right length, to know which work for me.

I was riding the other day at my indoor snowdome and watching people ride powder boards there - it's indoor artificial snow, hardpack. I'd be uncomfortable with my own powder boards on that stuff, because they are wider than my stance, so getting them on edge on piste isn't fun. If your idea of powder involves some piste (mine doesn't, because I listened carefully at school), then you may want to bear that in mind. 

Jones stuff seems popular; I've just not had the opportunity but I'd take it if I could. I'm a fan of JG's Burton stuff, but they always have a range of wildly different boards (in terms of performance if not graphic design).

On 11/19/2021 at 8:57 AM, powdahbonz said:

How about a Winterstick Tom Burt 172?

I have so many cigar shaped boards, but thanks for the offer.  Appreciated

On 11/19/2021 at 9:06 AM, Neil Gendzwill said:

I have a Flagship that I’m happy with but i only have 2 days on it so far.  The quality seems excellent. 

I like the technical specs on the Flagship and the build quality (Jones) is very nice.  What length is yours ?

On 11/19/2021 at 5:41 PM, philw said:

If your idea of powder involves some piste (mine doesn't, because I listened carefully at school), then you may want to bear that in mind. 

cat trip

On 11/21/2021 at 11:14 AM, neanderthal said:

Prior Fissile 178

This is my powder tree sidecountry choice and it floats me at a bit over 200

the sidecut makes even tight tree days amazing in the pow

178 is longer than what I am looking for.

Thanks though 

On 11/21/2021 at 2:10 PM, TLN said:

I got NS Chairman 173 that I won is NS contest few years back. #00001 serial for that year.

Got a few days on it, borrowed to friednds few times, but mostly sitting unused, since I ride alpine most of the time.

NS Chairman is a great board.  I have access to nearly the entire NS lineup, thanks to a NS brand-loyal friend.  Also, I am looking for something other than a cigar shape.

Thanks

The title of this thread keeps catching my eye..Powder Board.  Powder Board was my first snowboard brand with my brother from 1979-1992.  Talk about powder (Park City, Utah), that's all we had back then for the first 7 years of riding until Park West opened to boarding in 1986.  We went powder boarding, not snowboarding.

Edited by BLOODTYPEZX10R
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, davekempmeister said:

178 is longer than what I am looking for.

Thanks though 

NS Chairman is a great board.  I have access to nearly the entire NS lineup, thanks to a NS brand-loyal friend.  Also, I am looking for something other than a cigar shape.

Thanks

By Cigar shape you mean traditional board with nose, smaller waist and tail? Well, then you'll need furberg snowboard, or something like venturi euphoria. Other then that... number of swallowtails: undertaker is more or less traditional. Winterstick is crazy and fun one. 

Prior makes the fissile in 172 (and a few other sizes) but with a 6.5m sidecut my experience has been great even in tight trees and the extra length comes in handy when its deep. It may not be what I would choose for a big line wide open bowl board if it is not soft or deep  but I havnt found better for deep and trees.

Furburg is a interesting ride. Might love or hate it but it is not like a regular board. Overall it has less float than the Prior and is a bitch to fight through trees or in a tight space.   This is a dream if you have a wide open bowl of powder and you want to rip straightlines but the dream turns to nightmare if you need to fight some tight turn like a few moguls or a clutch move.

I see a few guys on the Venture Euphoria  in the area. They all ride softboots and from what I understand it is a soft board but the shape is sweet and full rocker looks like the way to go in pow. Really want to demo this board and the Jones mindexpander this season. Im partial to stepin hardboots when its deep because its just so much easier to get out when you are buried.

Another good choice would be the the Jones Ultracraft.  I got the ultra as it is a bit stiffer and ride with hardboots. There really is something about the spoon nose in pow that  helps with turn initiation. You can carve it well enough but no way it compares to a real carving board.  Really wish I could get a 172 ultracraft with the spoon nose and a bit of a channel at the tail.  Hint  Hint Hint  -  Any board makers out there

Edited by neanderthal
  • Like 1