Note to New Members ×

What's wrong with this picture?

Dave Winters

14 hours ago, Odd Job said:

I did that my first night race at Eldora; I was wondering why the course was so straight.

I totally remember that and laughed hard 

4 hours ago, Dave Winters said:

Bet you had the leading time , though!!

You would think that Dave, however even KarverKai beat his time on that run 🤣

• Haha 1

Ha!

So many things wrong with that pic!

-The two courses are the same color.

-The gates are set up the same way...unless it's a delay gate, which I doubt.

-Looks like there's course dye, and it goes around the long poles in both courses.

- And of course, the rider is going around the long poles.

• Like 1

It's interesting how artists can see something and yet clearly fail to understand what's going on. It's fairly common with "technical" things... they see something which looks kind of similar but which clearly is wrong, yet none of them see it.

I'm not being rude or slagging anyone off, I'm just interested that not knowing how a snowboard works can lead to failing to see how it obviously works.

17 hours ago, philw said:

It's interesting how artists can see something and yet clearly fail to understand what's going on.

I'll always remember that in my Cad/technical drawing and graphic design class the teacher when asked about the difference between what he was teaching and an Art class he replied.

"An Artist will draw and paint the world how they see it but ill teach you how to draw how the world actually is." 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After reading a long piece about the Chinese alpine skiing team the other week, I am not surprised. The reporter wanted to meet the team, meet their best racer etc. At first she was welcomed, of course she could talk to everybody, was even invited to the team's hotel. But every time a meeting was due, some official had failed to okay something. After weeks of this she had only managed to meet their head coach (an Austrian, naturally). She never found out their best racer's name nor even which discipline she would race in. The head of their coaching staff, a Chinese, tells everyone that he CAN ski, but no one has ever actually seen him skiing. Reportedly, the head coach stated that the goal for the games was for everyone to get to the bottom unhurt.

And it seems that the girl in the picture is either going backwards or riding uphill.

It seems that although the central committee of the CCP wants to see medals in classical winter sports, it takes more than three or four years to turn a swimmer or track-and-fielder into a world-class skier 😉

Edited by Aracan