Note to New Members ×

adaptive snowboarding?

bobble

It looks safer than some of the adaptive snowboard set ups I've seen. It looks like it has a good suspension system, which seems to be the biggest problem when adaptive riders go into the park and pipe.

The only other person I've seen ride a board sideways without use of their legs is Jesse Horn from Jackson Hole. He has no legs from the hip down and he uses his hands for outriggers. He can carve really well ... uses an ultra long board.

I taught snowboarding at NSCD all winter, and usually those without use of legs are talked into a mono ski set up.

But it's so COOL. I'm going to show it to the adaptive division at Nationals. How can they learn more?

Cindy Kleh

This is a little off topic but I want to say both a thank you and a "that's soooo cool" to Cindy and the other folks involved at the Winterpark adaptive program. Every year I go, I am always amazed at the disabled skiiers and riders that are accomodated at WP. I'm proud to call WP my "home" mountain-even if home is 1000+ miles away...

Just got back from the Nationals and the adaptive division BX finals were a rush! There were five competitors, including one woman from Holland, and they charged it. Wish I'd had a video camera. There are 8 in the adaptive class this year and they added a ramp to the podium. They are trying to get adaptive competition going so they can add snowboarding to the Paralympics.

There was one kid, Max, with cerebral palsy, who used a sit ski tethered to a skiing guide behind. He was sp pumped by the whole experience that he never stopped smiling all day.

There was also a blind skier from Nashville, David Hunter. The BX course was too sketch for him and his guide to get thru safely but he did halfpipe today.

Also a kid from New Zealand with spina bifida, partially paralyzed. He is a world class adaptive ski racer, but he put on a board this week. He uses outriggers and he can really lay out his carves. Can't wait to see him do gates.

Get to Copper this Thursday and Friday to see them do Slalom and GS.

Originally posted by Cindy Kleh

It looks safer than some of the adaptive snowboard set ups I've seen. It looks like it has a good suspension system, which seems to be the biggest problem when adaptive riders go into the park and pipe.

The only other person I've seen ride a board sideways without use of their legs is Jesse Horn from Jackson Hole. He has no legs from the hip down and he uses his hands for outriggers. He can carve really well ... uses an ultra long board.

I taught snowboarding at NSCD all winter, and usually those without use of legs are talked into a mono ski set up.

But it's so COOL. I'm going to show it to the adaptive division at Nationals. How can they learn more?

Cindy Kleh

Cindy, I sold a snowboard to a guy named Tom who wanted to try adaptive gear on a snowboard. Here is his website if you are interested to try and contact him. Maybe he has it dialed in by now. http://www.sitski.com/