Note to New Members ×

Season Passes? - What's Everybody Thinking Post 2021's Covid Mtn. Shutdowns/Restrictions?

barryj

Can't really say "post Covid"as it's still here!  ....but you know what I mean.

A lot of people were on the fence of buying a pass or totally took the season off this time last year.

Last year I got a midweek pass to my local mtn, Loon Mtn. and probably still got in 50+ days.

This year I'm back in Tahoe and work covers my Squaw/Palisades pass.  I also got the locals Epic pass to Northstar, Heavenly and  Kirkwood.  ...and I got the super cheap ($159) old farts pass to Boreal  mostly for night riding.

Let's hope the snow dumps I get to wear  these passes Out! 

About to buy my season pass for the 2022 Southern Hemisphere winter. Unclear what the future holds here as Delta Covid is about to become widespread here in NZ, after high level lockdown and human frailty failed to eradicate it. I'm willing to take the chance and think that I will be able to travel within NZ next winter.

I have to make up my mind by Friday if I'm going to buy a season pass here, but I'm leaning toward no. Quite honestly, I can't see this season being much different to the last - even with a high percentage of people being vaccinated, they're still going to enforce mask mandates, bubbles only on the lifts, no sitting around in the lodge, hill reservations, blah blah blah. Last year it was such a pain in the a** that I really don't think I can be bothered. I might be getting a bunch of use out of my snowshoes and my friends this year, or buying discount cards and using them midweek instead.

I see the US border's going to be open next month, but again, the PITA factor of crossing the border to ride will likely keep me at home this season.

got my lovey pass back in may.  Not sure about hanging out in the lodge or The Rat(skeller), might just have to bring my breakfast again and do the post ride cahr bahr again this season.  Should be riding in another week or so...

• Like 2

Last season I got the most days I ever have by far...likely due to covid since not a lot of other things to do and the kids were at online school so we could go mid week!  

I bought another IKON base pass for this year for the local hills (Summit, Mammoth June) and a couple of EPIC day passes for a Tahoe trip (Northstar, Heavenly, Kirkwood).

In retrospect I felt boarding last year, albeit associated with a few bearable hassles, was covid safe - we didn't do any of the ancillary things - we just boarded hard and it was glorious to get out.  

Yes.  I plan on resuming mountain life as close to 100% normal as possible.  After seeing packed sports arenas at professional and college levels, it just doesn't hold water to suggest that chairlifts shouldn't be loaded to full capacity.  Fortunately my resort has stated they plan to, "but" will be flexible if the state changes its guidelines.  🙄

hoping monday's and friday's aren't like extended weekends this year with school back in session and most folks back to work. thought i saw that masking up inside only being a requirement (sunapee, epic mountains, etc.) which i'll intend on doing accordingly. two passes on lock and may even check out stowe this year since the VT gates have opened back up. will be riding more than last year. game on.

My "local" mountain is Stratton so Ikon for me.  Honestly, I enjoyed VT's draconian lockdown as I had the place to myself Monday through Friday. With a kid now in Pb'ville, Copper will be my new home away from home. I get good value for the Ikon.  Also bought the Mountain Creek value pass for when you just gotta do what you gotta do while slumming it in the Dirty Jerz...

Local Pass negative. It barely balanced out every season and last year got burnt with the border lockdown since the pass was good US/CA but couldn't get to Searchmont.

Aspen cancelled the Classic Pass which forced a purchase of an IKON. Hoping to make good use of it at Aspen and Schweitzer [without the ice] and locally at Boyne.

Just thinking about it makes me Thirsty.

1 hour ago, Chouinard said:

Local Pass negative. It barely balanced out every season and last year got burnt with the border lockdown since the pass was good US/CA but couldn't get to Searchmont.

Aspen cancelled the Classic Pass which forced a purchase of an IKON. Hoping to make good use of it at Aspen and Schweitzer [without the ice] and locally at Boyne.

Just thinking about it makes me Thirsty.

Oh that's right! I may opt for local delivery at the Schweitz for something in the queue to quench that "metallic" thirst. 👍

howdy

with record season pass sales ( 16,000+ ) and the opening of the Canadian border and all the paper tickets, it is going to be a shit show. at least a season pass can afford a few good runs and call it a day. I don't feel safe anymore making turns. too many new people who don't know the hill and don't know skier etiquette. I hope to carve hard and make it short and sweet and concentrate on technique and try to blow my own mind.

29 minutes ago, west carven said:

howdy

with record season pass sales ( 16,000+ ) and the opening of the Canadian border and all the paper tickets, it is going to be a shit show. at least a season pass can afford a few good runs and call it a day. I don't feel safe anymore making turns. too many new people who don't know the hill and don't know skier etiquette. I hope to carve hard and make it short and sweet and concentrate on technique and try to blow my own mind.

Whitefish is THAT bad? 

No place to hide.

I got Abasin, Ikon, and Epic.

This season is going to be "epic".

Edited by Odd Job

I did get a Sunday through Friday pass at Big Sky.  I'm fully vaccinated and careful, so I'm not going to worry about it as much as I could.  Still plan on staying away on the chair with the bubble up and some sort of mask on, maybe under a gator.  

I did not board at all last year.  Don't regret the choice, but for some strange reason, I don't think that I improved during the layover.

I am not sure what I am doing this season. No passes for me tho. I have a week booked at kirkwood in february, thinkin' on MCC and possibly an aspen trip. New car not as good in snow with significantly less clearance, so MCC may be a no-go for me. Of the past several years I have been more of a "lets go here for a week" person than a "lets go on the weekends" person, so passes are less attractive, but where I can get deals on a week I will go for it (which sometimes means getting a pass). Last year I spent a week at montucky, a week in tahoe, and a week in oregon. This year lets see.

23 hours ago, GeoffV said:

Ice is that blue stuff where you can barely set an edge.

Before everyone scores a trophy let me clarify because I don’t want to get in the middle of what must be a point of contention. I don’t mind ice as long as it is the consistently smooth scraped surface prepared by the skidders and skiers when they dress out the undulations as they scrape their way down the hill. By undulations I mean the frozen corduroy that freezes on the pitch when a cold front moves in and flash freezes the heavy wet snow the groomers previously prepared when the temperatures were above freezing. I’m not partial to NVH characteristics of trying to ride across a frozen washboard surface let alone the stress on the sphincter control circuit. What I meant to say is “Schweitzer without the un-groomed frozen tracked out edges defy covered with a layer of snow looking like powder (anything deeper than a quarter inch qualifies) hiding ruts and mush piles frozen in place” that I experienced last March. I can get that at home…I don’t need to fly 1966 miles west only to find the same conditions I left in Michigan, “The Winter Wonderland”!:biggthump