Note to New Members ×

Soft board stiffness

Neil Gendzwill

So in an effort to avoid work today I made a little video comparing the stiffness of my 3 active boards. I knew the Flagship (2020, 162w) was softer but it really felt soft compared to my 2 Coilers. My 180 Nirvana is also way stiffer than my 167 AMT although it doesn’t feel that much stiffer on snow, I mostly feel the bigger turning radius. 

If you can’t tell from the video, I was honking on them as hard as I could. 

The Flagship is supposedly a relatively stiff board as these things go. Are any commercial softie boards much stiffer?

https://imgur.com/a/IYG3XHM

Just some observations: 

Flagship bends in quite an uniform arc, but has a dead spot under the front binding. 

AMT bends a bit more in the middle. 

Nirvana bends almost only in the middle, where you pressed it. Also, it has pigeon-toed stance... probably just provisionally mounted? 

I have an old metaltop Elan Vertigo, that's quite a plank. It rides like an alpine board. Funniest part is that it's really thin. I guess, they used very think titanal, so the core had to be thin. 

Edited by BlueB

@Neil Gendzwill Although the experiment shows a significant result using the intra-ocular traumatic test of statistical significance, the engineers and scientists amongst the watchers will cringe at the uncontrolled variables on your test bench (floor). 😉

Some learned comments from another thread to inform your test results.

Edited by SunSurfer
add thread link

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

It wasn’t meant to be any sort of repeatable test, more of a “holy shit, even supposedly stiff sb boards are pretty soft” thing. 

Yegads, man, this isn't Reddit or Snowboarding Forum; this is the Royal Academy. Bring some rigor and repeatability to the show next time.

On 10/16/2021 at 9:42 AM, Jack M said:

I would hazard a guess that the Ride Commissioner (formerly Timeless) might be stiffer.

Dug up a review from Angry Snowboarder and he described the flex on it as a bit stiffer than a medium free ride flex, similar to how he described the Flagship. Apparently it has been softened up from the Timeless quite a bit.  I was a bit surprised to find that if you get the 165 it's a 12m sidecut, which is super long for a commonly available soft boot board.

My 3 boards? About what you’d expect. The Nirvana needs more room than the AMT, doesn’t turn as tight and needs more input from me to turn but has stronger edge hold and is more stable at speed. The Flagship I only got a couple days on but it is a lot of fun, first soft boot board I’ve had since the 80s. Still working out the kinks for carving, with the tighter radius and softer flex I have to be careful or it washes out. It’s good at speed and fun in bumps and the soft stuff. Riding in white out conditions I find it way easier to stay right side up in soft boots as it’s easier to adjust to unexpected inputs.