Note to New Members ×

Best place to live and ride?

garrett

12 hours ago, slopetool said:

I live in Missoula.  That's all I'm need to say...haha

Missoula has it all.  Cool town, sweet river running through it (white water, fly fishing, etc), Montana Snowbowl 15 miles down the road (300"/yr, would be a major resort if it were in the east), 136 miles to Whitefish, 4 other ski areas closer than that, the university... jealous.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 8:33 PM, johnasmo said:

Vacationed in Norway in 2019.  Trondheim to the Lofoten Islands.  It's like someone cut off the peaks of Glacier Park and dropped them seaside.  Spectacular.

But skiing near  the Arctic Circle sounds dark.  Don't write off Whitefish too fast.  2M can still do it here.  Come try it on your way to the MCC.

How's the chokepoint on 93/Bakers avenue? The one day I rode there; traffic was hell before that spot. I'd probably want slope-side or something north of that?

On 8/6/2021 at 11:27 AM, Jack M said:

Missoula has it all.  Cool town, sweet river running through it (white water, fly fishing, etc), Montana Snowbowl 15 miles down the road (300"/yr, would be a major resort if it were in the east), 136 miles to Whitefish, 4 other ski areas closer than that, the university... jealous.

My Buddy is a denture guy there. Its pretty sweet

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 11:27 AM, Jack M said:

I personally think Snowbowl is the worst ski area in the state.  Old outdated lifts, facilities are very outdated, and minimal grooming for carving.  

31 minutes ago, dredman said:

I personally think Snowbowl is the worst ski area in the state.  Old outdated lifts, facilities are very outdated, and minimal grooming for carving.  

Same for Loveland. And it’s cold and windy. And the food portions are small. And the coyotes are brazen and aggressive. Spread the word.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, dredman said:

I am not knowing.  I was there in the summer for a friend's wedding, and I was just impressed with the sheer size of the mountain right next to town.

On 8/11/2021 at 3:21 AM, Odd Job said:

How's the chokepoint on 93/Bakers avenue? The one day I rode there; traffic was hell before that spot. I'd probably want slope-side or something north of that?

16 hours ago, dredman said:

I haven't hit all in the state, but Snowbowl is low on my list from the few times I've been there.  It's had to find good carving at Snowbowl.  A lot of the runs have wonky fall lines; narrow or off camber.  Like they wanted to save the best fall lines for off-piste terrain.  Maybe the locals know the secrets to carving there, but I find Whitefish far superior for carving -- wide runs, consistent fall-line pitches, tons of grooming every night.

And Snowbowl is the only place that refused me a refund after shutting down everything but their beginner tow rope right after I bought a ticket and hadn't even had time for one run.  That's not right.

with that much of extra cash, I will get a house in lake tahoe, with a view and close to the lake, snow in winter, kayak hiking in summer, if condition are good spring time you can ski /snowboard and wave boarding in the same day.  enjoy the life of retire.

Lake Tahoe, Truckee, incline village, spring valley, or Reno this is my list in order

Edited by dragonrider

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Odd Job said:

Have idiots with a total lack of coordination on e-bikes arrived yet? That's when you know you're in a colony of Californians.

Yes they have arrived.  

This new condo will eat up the best parking spots at the hill.  These are the ones that make board changes so easy at Whitefish.  In downtown Whitefish this morning all the parking spots were full.  

howdy

just talked to an employee from the big and I asked how much season passes were sold and he said as of now about 35 percent more, but it might end up being about 15 percent more than last years record sales. hopefully the big will report on the season pass sales... yes, whitefish has become a shit show...

Edited by west carven

• 3 weeks later...