Note to New Members ×

help from all mountain riders and design pros!

jtdds

Look at the Atomic Dreamraider and Firestarter, serious all-mountain carve/bump/pow/crud machines...esp. the Dreamraider! I ride it in softies (Salomon Spx4's with Synapse boots 36F / 18R) and with plates (Burton Race Plates with Burton Boiler [like Earth] 3-buckle free-ride boots 39F / 21R). It riiiiiiiipppppsssss!

BTW - I ride these angles switch on this board with both hard and soft setups (with 25mm setback) no problem in the pipe and on the slope...toeside to toeside cab carves or switch alley-oops...I guess if you've been doing it one way for a long time, then it seems natural. I've NEVER ridden duck...hate it!

"I acutally feel more at home on an alpine set up in crud and bumps but NEVER on light powder."

a) I hate soft boots. Hate 'em. Hate hate hate.

b) Light powder is really rare where I ride.

So, if I'm snowboarding, I'm in hard boots.

What did you mean by "vertigo challenged?" Should I be offended? :)

Guest sierra

My two cents regarding powder/freeride - I tried a new Burton Malolo at a Burton Demo day at Waterville Valley here in NH and loved the thing so much I bought one on E-bay. I'm not a Burton guy (3 holes - arghhh!) so this was a revelation. I would describe the Malolo as a marriage of a Custom and a Fish - it has a wide powder nose (20mm taper), is super turny and excels in bumps and powder. I got it for the tight tree lines here in the Northeast and also use it for noodling around the mountain with my kids, doing lame freestyle stuff and for teaching. I took it through the spring conditions in the park today at Loon and it was great there as well. I can't emphasize enough how fun this board is and yet it still has enough grip to hold on the groomers (unlike the Fish). I think that my quiver going forward is going to be just two boards - the Malolo and some kind of alpine all mountain deck (Madd BX, Coiler AM, etc.). Disclaimer - I am not worthy! I have not ridden plates yet but have purchased hard boots (Head Stratos) and will be getting plates to begin riding my all mountain/freeride Nitro in anticipation of attending a hardbooter summit (Sugarloaf??) next season for demos. Many thanks for the good info on this board - hope to meet some of you lunatics on the hill sometime! :D

I WAS WRONG!!! Rode yesterday with the PSIA instructor(who does ride alpine half the time) who railed on me for misrepresenting him. He teaches squaring feet, hips and shoulders, not squaring to the board edge. He agrees with Neil that duck stance is for those wanting to ride and land backward. (Nate, he thinks that I'm making you up-- so I am having him log on today... Oh, I meant vertigo 'gifted'--anyone who can ride bumps and pipe on an alpine board has my admiration. But to be able to do jump 180's in the bumps with steep angles? Very Jordan like.)

More that a decade ago, I saw my first hardbooter on a PJ at A-Basin and my jaw dropped. Next day I had PJ and over the next 10 years I was a catalyst for alpining in my area. Oh, I took a wide board with mounted plates west in the event we had powder-- but rarely rode it. Four years ago, at Jackson, I experienced the same jaw drop, two guys on soft boots owning the hill-- smooth, deep edging (you bet they could carve), blasting off the groom and floating these super graceful jump 180s anytime they pleased. We stayed with these guys for a few runs and when we left I had to ASK them what their natural stance was- regular or goofy. Bastards smiled slyly and shrugged.

Four years later, I am closer to my goal of being able to ride ambidextrous. One frustration is finding a good carving sled that my 11 size foot can ride zero angles without drag (yes, I do use risers, made by Palmer) All of my carving friends love boardercross boards as their all-mountain sticks but they are just a little narrow for my club feet.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, lots of boards I never heard of-- continued thoughts appreciated.

Originally posted by jtdds

I WAS WRONG!!! Rode yesterday with the PSIA instructor(who does ride alpine half the time) who railed on me for misrepresenting him. He teaches squaring feet, hips and shoulders, not squaring to the board edge.

Hah! I called it

Originally posted by lonerider I think squaring the feet/hips/shoulder to each OTHER gives you more power transfer... but it doesn't necessary give you the most...