Note to New Members ×

My long delayed project

lowrider

If your like me (serious denial and old age around the corner) you have a pet project you have been planning to get to some day . Well the day isn't here yet and you still have it squirreled away somewhere. What is it and why haven't you tackled it yet ? Mine is a bugeye sprite, motor was rebuilt 20 years ago  oiled and shelved multiple  boxes of parts body panels and  crates of extra parts. The pandemic should have been the impetus to get this done but there is sits. what's your story. I promise I won't contact your significant other and shame you !  ( It's been 42 years !)

Put a new roof on my house.  I know every step and have done this type of work before.  I also know, being an extremely particular individual, that I will do a better, more thorough job than if I hire a contractor.  I will be able to install a higher quality shingle and pay less for the project if I do it myself.

I just can't bring myself to commit to doing the job because roofing sucks!

• Like 2

Just the opposite here. We moved to our current house nearly 3 years ago. We’d been in the old house 20 years and had several things that needed doing, biggest of which was a kitchen reno. Instead of doing that we bought a different house and did all kinds of work on it. Two major renovations (master bedroom and kitchen), new fence, new shed, greenhouse, RV parking pad, replaced the garage opener, new furnace, added A/C… it just keeps going but we’re nearly done. 

15 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Two major renovations (master bedroom and kitchen), new fence, new shed, greenhouse, RV parking pad, replaced the garage opener, new furnace, added A/C… it just keeps going but we’re nearly done. 

I wouldn't want your wife to hear you say that. Unless your looking to get into trouble.

On 6/5/2021 at 6:53 AM, workshop7 said:

Put a new roof on my house.  I know every step and have done this type of work before.  I also know, being an extremely particular individual, that I will do a better, more thorough job than if I hire a contractor.  I will be able to install a higher quality shingle and pay less for the project if I do it myself.

I just can't bring myself to commit to doing the job because roofing sucks!

It takes more time anguishing about it, than doing it.  I'm a perfect example of that.  I need to reroof my rental, and am in the same boat, and it's literally in my back yard.

I also need to build a 3 stall garage, but not till lumber/plywood prices have come back down to reasonable.

On 6/5/2021 at 5:25 PM, Wolf said:

I'll be refinishing the paint and varnish on a kayak on the crappy days.  I'll be using another kayak on the nice days.

Imgp0042b.jpg.877fe0d30d7caa9188854106abe01921.jpg

Maine coast Wolf? 

Among many projects, I've been catching up on some long neglected varnish work on my 32' double-ended cutter. Last spring I tackled a daunting project (for me) and replaced the 45 yr old diesel myself. The list of projects on a cruising sailboat are neverending, but I'm catching up with them in my retirement. It's amazing how much gets done when you don't have a job to get in the way 😉

The north shore of Lake Superior reminds me of the coast of Maine, but it's off limits til the border opens up, so I"ll just keep ticking projects off the list til I can't stand the heat anymore.

vlcsnap2012-07-25-19h39m56s134.png.5997d5ae01ecb1f6d4782cd73d4d4ddd.png

I built a tiny house to live in after retiring a couple of years ago. Moved it into the marina, which just happens to be a stone's throw from the base of Spirit Mt. I put a steel roof on it and don't expect I'll have to do another roof, ever.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Maine coast Wolf? 

Yes.  It's Loud's Island (on Wikipedia).  You have a thousand times more maintenance to keep up with on your cutter but it sure looks nice in that photo.  I'm only a summer resident in Maine in an old family house that I now have.  Lot's of maintenance to do there too on a 1905 house.

• Like 1

Finish the fit out of the Transit Connect for camping. Looking good so far - I had someone build out the main part last summer because I knew I didn't have the time and skills to do it myself. Got the first trip in last year, and I learned a lot. Like I needed better privacy options and somewhere better for the cat's food and water bowls, if I didn't want a wet bed ...

I just hope that this summer will be better than last for camping, You can't get a campsite booking anywhere around here for love or money right now. Hopefully travel will start to open up again soon and the ravening hordes will find other things to do.

I'm rebuilding a 10ft speed boat with my son. Late 70's Peterborough Jetstar. Floor and transom is rotten, rebuilding to support a 50hp motor. Lol.  Currently has a 30hp and does 35mph.

Hoping to get it back in the water by August 

20210523_181106.jpg

On 6/10/2021 at 7:30 AM, lowrider said:

What motor  and transmission did you go with ?

This is still on my to do list but high level details:

• factory five mark 4 roadster
  • Tremec 600 transmission
  • 347 stroker crate engine 
On 6/10/2021 at 2:36 PM, Neil Gendzwill said:

Love those! Factory Five kit?

Yes

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
33 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

the motors reasonable but its only a very small part of the required package as youll probably be looking at another 10000 for the battery and probably another 5000 minimum for control systems/ cooling  ect to make it all work

Agreed: also the redesign of the chassis to accommodate the battery etc.  I have seen quite a few conversions using Tesla components from wrecks, wondering how the mix and match of brands is going to work?

ICE crate +trannie is the opportunity cost of this, which then makes the difference not soooo big.

Some parts might be interchangeable with some modification but a lot of it is going to need a very very competent electrical engineer to get parts to integrate.

The company i work for deals a lot with the final teardown of EV batteries, the individual battery modules and cells are simple enough the problem will be dealing with there related control units and there required input and out signals they will require. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eboot said:

Recently saw this - it starts opening up some interesting thought options, have been concerned about adding another ICE V8 to the environment at this point.

Surprised at the price!

https://electrek.co/2021/11/03/ford-is-selling-mach-e-crate-motors-to-promote-custom-ev-conversions-like-this-f-100-concept/

If you like dry/sarcastic humour, smart people, and weird combinations; this guy is hacking Tesla running gear into an old Jaguar: 

Good rule when working with high voltages: Only use one hand when working on things. If you get zapped, it'll only blow off your hand instead of stopping your heart. 

Still yikes, but alive with one hand is better than being dead. 

• Like 2

I work with a electrical safety testing machine that will produce up 3000V AC when testing insulation the number one rule is always assume it is LIVE to the extent even if i know something is off i'm still wearing doubled up nitrile gloves and if something is live its rubber insulation gloves on top of that again. A healthy dose of respect and paranoia is recommended if you want to stay shock free working with high voltages😅.

download-6.jpg

• Haha 2