Note to New Members ×

Anybody Using a Rear Facing Safety Camera their Moto or Bicycle?

barryj

I do a lot of road biking and have had zero incidents or accidents over many decades of biking but recently I've had more than one car buzz me, for what seems on purpose!  Which has prompted me to consider a rear facing safety cam (and blinking light) that records everything.  I'm already using reflective gear and a rear red flashing light.  So unless their doing some serious texting there is no way they could not have seen me!! 

I've read where cyclists had turned in footage of incidents of road rage or drive by buzzing and the police have followed up and given citations!

Here in NH we not only have the "Give Cyclists 3ft. space when passing , but an additional  1 ft. of space for every 10mph increase in posted road speed.   So 4ft space on a posted 40mph road,  5ft on a 50mph posted road.    

This Cycliq  Fly 6 is the one I'm looking at...pricey at $300 but seems to do it all -  lasts 5 hours on a charge 

https://cycliq.com/bike-cameras/fly6ce/

https://cycliq.com/bike-cameras/fly6ce/#true

Edited by barryj

3 hours ago, lowrider said:

Perhaps a  rifle scabbard would deter aggressive people.

Na....they'd never see it from behind.  Need something that says Don't F_ _ _ with me....from a distance!

Thought about buying one of these jerseys..... but worry it would just make me a bigger target for those that buzz on purpose!

2.jpg

1.jpg

Man, I pretty much stopped riding on roads with traffic years ago. Too many close calls with distracted or just plain rude drivers took all the pleasure out of it for me. For awhile I just rode early mornings on back roads and now I mostly ride trails.

I did some long distance treks with camping gear back in the '70's, and looking at your location @barryj , it reminded me of a very memorable ride I had in your neighborhood flying down the Kancamagus highway with fully loaded panniers and passing cars on the switchbacks. :eek: (trying not to overheat my rims and have a blowout)

The flashing light on that camera looks like a good idea. The camera seems of limited value.

On 5/9/2021 at 2:22 PM, barryj said:

Here in NH we not only have the "Give Cyclists 3ft. space when passing , but an additional  1 ft. of space for every 10mph increase in posted road speed.   So 4ft space on a posted 40mph road,  5ft on a 50mph posted road.   

"Live free or die," indeed...

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

howdy

just googled Bicyclist hit by car 2021 and was shocked to see page after page of incidents. I am a daily bike rider and the traffic is getting really bad. every time I cross the street it takes awhile for people to stop. the old locals always stop, but the new people just fly by... a gun is no good when your flying 20 feet in the air... stay off the road when possible...