Note to New Members ×

Anyone know the source of this boot part?

daveo

On the 951, does anyone know whether the bolt thing that the springs sit around is a custom part or off the shelf?

I'd like to try one with 1cm longer springs for more forward travel just for the sake of experimenting.

Usually my experiments fail.

S9cVnSW.jpg

Edited by daveo

Hmm. @pokkis you're right, I haven't thought this through. Perhaps this is a poor idea.

The only thing I considered is that perhaps the boot is just not designed to flex that much anyway, and it may not function correctly. 

But I have a feeling like I remember someone using this boot with no spring at all. It might be @hknz but I'm not sure.

Honestly my entire train of thought went like this:

1. Dgss has lots of travel

2. Maybe I can make lots of travel on the 951

3. That part looks complex, I'll ask for help

4. I feel like pizza, but my teeth hurt because of my braces.

Edited by daveo

Boot will flex more than your ankle, dont worry about that. But that is not what you should worry, as said measure first how much your ankle will flex, then how much boot will flex with current setup, and then look if you really need more flex.  Most people dont need more.

4 hours ago, snowburn said:

Dave, Have you considered UPZ XC12's? Plenty of flex for powder and all mountain riding. I love mine. Good deals this summer on last years stock

Since I tried the 951, I dislike the fit of UPZ on my foot. I actually just sold a pair of RC10 to make way for the ST 951. Had to decide between getting zipfit fitted to the RC10 and hoping to get better comfort or getting softer shells and using the same zipfit between 2 boots. Easy decision in the end.

Just from feel, I would say the ST 951 with blue springs flexes very similarly to the RC10 I sold, which I think were quite soft.

After playing with the boot, as @pokkis suggested, I think the boot may already flex a similar amount to my ankle.

Edited by daveo
  • Haha 1

Yes, I use it without spring (61kg) BUT I have the nut to limit the max flex which is always smaller than the flex of my ankle.

You can use softer spring to allow more flex. I suggest SAME length of spring but softer (i.e. smaller diameter of coil).

I remember the spring of 951 is 35mm, Any longer is no need IMO. The softest spring has about 50% compression which is 17.5mm, which is fairly enough for 15-25 degree flex (I had the exact data, CAD format,  somewhere in one of my pc but unable to find it now). pokkis is right, DGSS or similar spring has not been engineering designed and may hurt your ankle. I suggest

1. take away the spring and try only the flex of the tongue
  2. try to flex the boot with only the spring
  3. try to flex the boot only with liner (without spring and tongue)

Then you will realize what kind of spring you need and in my case I realize the tongue is the critical part of limiting the boot flex ---- > spring no longer need.

What is your weight?

Edited by hknz

30 minutes ago, hknz said:

Yes, I use it without spring (61kg) BUT I have the nut to limit the max flex which is always smaller than the flex of my ankle.

You can use softer spring to allow more flex. I suggest SAME length of spring but softer (i.e. smaller diameter of coil).

I remember the spring of 951 is 35mm, Any longer is no need IMO. The softest spring has about 50% compression which is 17.5mm, which is fairly enough for 15-25 degree flex (I had the exact data, CAD format,  somewhere in one of my pc but unable to find it now). pokkis is right, DGSS or similar spring has not been engineering designed and may hurt your ankle. I suggest

1. take away the spring and try only the flex of the tongue
  2. try to flex the boot with only the spring
  3. try to flex the boot only with liner (without spring and tongue)

Then you will realize what kind of spring you need and in my case I realize the tongue is the critical part of limiting the boot flex ---- > spring no longer need.

Perfect thanks!

30 minutes ago, hknz said:

What is your weight?

I'm 80-85kg depending on how much gym work I've put in.

You are much heavier. I guess you can either ride without spring (but with nuts, be careful to loctite or secure them) or the softest spring (green?) if you want more lean/flex. I feel that the tongue itself is already quite stiff.

Flex is a matter of taste afterall.

Edited by hknz

5 hours ago, hknz said:

Flex is a matter of taste afterall.

True words here. Will not be getting an increased rod length.

I have a slew of springs on their way, so I'm going to have a test with everything once they arrive.

Thanks all.