Note to New Members ×

Hardboots for Wide Feet? Also- Anyone use AT/Backcountry Boots?

TJR

If the width is in the forefoot the UPZs are the widest hardboot. I'll report in a couple of weeks how the S5 compare.

As far as AT boots go Phantom now sells a completely tweeked out Atomic Backlands, the Phantom slipper. As I understand, and you should do the homework to confirm, the entire boot (shell and liner) can be fitted.  Yes the shell can be tossed in an oven (242f if I remember correctly) and fitted.

https://www.phantomsnow.com/collections/boots/products/phantom-slipper

I'd also be supprised is Backalnds were an easy fit with wide feet. I have very narrow feet and was supprised at how they seemed pretty decent on me. That class of lighter touring boot is good for all mountain riding, but not beefy enough for my tasted on a race style snowboard. 

Most of the 4 buckle AT boots with DIN style ledges (so not Tech/ Dynafit only) will work with most bail bindings. I'd tend to go for something in the 120 or less flex number range as they are typically already pretty laterally stiff compaired to alpine SB boots. On the plus side, there are quite a few different fits from the major players.

Edited by Mr.E

Find a good bootfitter and let them fix the width. It's true that UPZ start out with a wider forefoot than Deeluxe, but it's NOT true that unmodified UPZ will work out of the box for truly wide feet, so you're going to need a fitter anyway. Pick the boot whose features and flex suit your style of riding and let the fitter do their job. My feet are 11.5EEEE (my right foot is even wider) and I bought Deeluxe 425Pros because the stiffness suits my style and weight, they work well with my preferred Intuition Dreamliners, the ankle pocket is about right, and they accept Fintec heels. The size 27 start at 98mm width but the fitter blew/ground them out to107/ 108, which is wide enough for anybody. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll second the recommendation for finding a really good boot fitter and getting your boots adjusted to fit. I have wide size 10s, and was able to get my Deeluxes adjusted to a great fit.  New intuition liners were part of the package, along with high quality cork foot beds. I never knew I could have comfort and control. Note that it may take more than one adjustment to the shell to get it just right, find someone with a good rep willing to work with you.

I use Scarpa Spirit3 boots at this time, just switched from Dynafit TLT4 boots. One key to flex modification is the liner style you use. A tongue style liner will flex softer front to back as compared to a wrap style liner, and it can be quite different. I  just swapped out mine and it suprised me. With wide feet you need to find a good boot fitter. Heat molded liners, top quality foot beds all factor into this. If boot weight is not a factor, I would tend towards a Snowboard specific hardboot, because tuning forward flex is more predictable. My $.02 FOR WHAT ITS WORTH...

• Like 1

Since my reply to this topic I've written a review of the S5s linked below.  They are by far the widest snowboard specific hardboot I've ever come across out of the box.  With the tongue and spring choices they can be as soft as you can imagine. The largest shell is 28.5

I've also done the home Memory Fit bootfitting of my Backlands.  Super easy (242F in oven for ~5-7 min, search YouTube for videos) and it turned out great.  I have very wide feet and the Backlands now fit nicely... with the Phantom link levers they do feel like a hybrid softboot/hardboot.  I wish the Backlands tongue was firmer and the front cuff was higher but I'm not a softer flex fan.  This is a boot that I would use in western snow... not so much in the hard snow of the east.

All the previous commenters are spot-on with their bootfitter recommendations.  I DIY because there are no bootfitters anywhere around me... if there was I'd make an appointment.