Note to New Members ×

UPZ BOOT RIDERS POLL. HEAL LIFT OR NO HEAL LIFT?

snowburn

Curious to see if UPZ boot riders like 3 degree heal lift on rear foot with F2 bindings. I'm thinking it might be too much considering the high internal boot ramp angle. I've gone back and forth riding with and without and still haven't found what feels better. What are your experiences with rear foot? 

Binding angles 55 degrees both. Stance 19.75 inches (50cm). Front lift 3 degrees. 

Edited by snowburn

I have M30/31 and switched from Deeluxe to UPZ because of the lack of heel lift in my RC12. So no lift in the UPZ's, way too much lift in the T700s. Your mileage may vary. 

Oops. Thought this was about foot/heel lift within the boot, itself. My mistake.

Edited by MNSurfer
I'm dumb

I've seen everything between zero and 6 degrees (me!) among freecarvers, and some of the racers use huge stacks of shims for heel lift on the rear foot. 

If you can't feel the difference, use the one that best agrees with your mental theory so you believe in your choice all the more. 😉 The placebo effect is real and it works very well for arbitrary things like this. 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, MNSurfer said:

I have M30/31 and switched from Deeluxe to UPZ because of the lack of heel lift in my RC12. So no lift in the UPZ's, way too much lift in the T700s. Your mileage may vary. 

I'm leaning toward without bc it does feel more natural. With lift makes me feel like It makes me lean forward on the nose of the board and not centered. Especially on a Thirst

Edited by snowburn

I'm not sure bindings make much difference in what lift someone finds suitable. It's more convenient on bomber or catek though, for sure.

I use 3 or 6 on the rear, 6 on front, with UPZ "size 28" ( 312 shell). I think maybe I prefer 3 on the rear. That's how I've rolled lately.

The upz extreme ramp stuff seems to have reached myth status. Several years ago I measured the heel to toe drop in my UPZ and my old pair of Indys (M28) and they're about the same. Both too much, but nothing special about UPZ.

I would just let the myth flourish but my girlfriend and I were setting up her new UPZs the other day and I thought about the high-ramp belief. With smaller boots, it's got to be worse. I asked her if the heels seemed noticeably higher than her raichle. She said no, maybe lower in fact. So I'm on a mythbuster crusade now.

35 minutes ago, snowburn said:

why the bias between TD3 verses F2?

I run higher angles on the TD3 setup on a narrower board than the F2 setup on a wider board.

My setup method follows @Beckmann AG authoritative work. I focus on centering my front knee to the width of the board and go from there... staying within the box wine parameters of course. 

2 hours ago, snowburn said:

Curious to see if UPZ boot riders like 3 degree heal lift on rear foot with F2 bindings. I'm thinking it might be too much considering the high internal boot ramp angle. I've gone back and forth riding with and without and still haven't found what feels better. What are your experiences with rear foot? 

rear: max lean forward + heel lift

front: no lean; no lift

stance 49-50cm

PS

but I am mediocre rider so you don't listen to me ))

I forgot to mention that my binding angles are 55 degrees on both. Stance 19.5 inches No lean on both boots. Although without rear lift I set rear boot lean on click. 

15 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

I run higher angles on the TD3 setup on a narrower board than the F2 setup on a wider board.

My setup method follows @Beckmann AG authoritative work. I focus on centering my front knee to the width of the board and go from there... staying within the box wine parameters of course. 

Yeah I've got the front foot dialed in. Rear foot is where its slides in the grey area.

Edited by snowburn

1 hour ago, teach said:

So I'm on a mythbuster crusade now.

Awesome! We'd love to hear the results! 

I felt like the heels were higher on the switch to UPZs, but didn't have a way to measure. 

My ski boots (low-end Atomic, I think 😆) have a WAY lower heel. It feels like the toes are lifted after spending most of the day in UPZ boots. 

182 cm tall, 89.5cm leg inseam, 56cm (22 inch) stance, 60-65 front, 60 rear.

UPZ RC10, modded rear for better heel lift control, and to allow greater forward flex without buckle impingement.

Use 6-9 degrees lift front, and 9 degrees rear. No cant used on either foot. (Bomber TD3, 6 degree cant disc, 3 degree wedges under toe and heel blocks)

Front boot cuff positioned on 1st position, i.e. more vertical. Front springs set to medium compression to allow some give for bump absorption.

Rear boot position 3-4, i.e flexed forward. Rear springs set uncompressed to allow easy forward flex.

Long stance gives long base of support and allows me to drop my centre of mass and keep it centred over the board. To do this my rear lower leg must be able to bend forward a lot. Hence the various settings. Note that I ride a + stance, that is facing forward and arms extended sideways (see avatar).

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Karver said:

6 degrees lift on the front. 3 degrees lift on the back. 65f/63r with TD3 sidewinder.  19 3/4" stance width. It has been working for me with the new XC12 Upz boots.

I have the XC12's also. I usually use those with my powder boards. They are super flexy without turning up the spring tension. I like the firmness of the RC12's for carving hard.

This is great guys! I'm seeing a pattern forming. Others please chime in. Thanks

Edited by snowburn

6 hours ago, Aracan said:

inward canting (my rear binding angle is only around 40°, so canting makes more sense to me

On my powder boards with 40* angles I use inward canting as well. My stance distance is about the same as my carving boards. 19 3/4 inches ( 50 cm ) 

I will shift the pattern. 

Upz boots, stiff tongue, both cuffs straight up, occasionally 1  tick fw rear boot.  I prefer to ride toes down,  3* heel lift on both binders,  some added plantar flexion benefits dorsiflexion - a little inward cant on both binders when riding with the iso-plate , without the plate  I prefer no cant .