Note to New Members ×

Anybody Canting their Cuff on Their Deluxe 700/425/325's??

barryj

I was under the impression canting was more of an early 90's thing when people didn't know any better? :confused:  Everybody is different obviously and do what you wanna do, however to me it makes more sense to keep you feet as flat to the board as possible for efficiency.  Rotating you back foot to a steeper angle, but still pushing straight down on the board just make more sense to me as canting will deflect your energy a lot less efficiently towards the tail.  I could be completely wrong so feel free to correct me... 👍

Yes I have on all of my Deeluxe boots and old Raichle’s.  

I believe the way to correctly determine if you need to, is to remove liner, stand in boots (just socks) in bindings on the board and adjust cuff cant to make distance equal around all sides of the cuff.

Carpet carving and tinkering with what is comfortable, makes for happier days at the hill.

• Like 4

Canting the cuff is different from canting the binding... Cuff canting affects the angle between the sole and lower leg, binding canting affects the angle between the sole and board.

9 minutes ago, Kneel said:

I was under the impression canting was more of an early 90's thing when people didn't know any better? :confused:  Everybody is different obviously and do what you wanna do, however to me it makes more sense to keep you feet as flat to the board as possible for efficiency.  Rotating you back foot to a steeper angle, but still pushing straight down on the board just make more sense to me as canting will deflect your energy a lot less efficiently towards the tail.  I could be completely wrong so feel free to correct me... 👍

Inward binding cant was common in the olden times. A skateboard kicktail is a form of inward cant of this type, as is the pad you see on the tail of a lot of short surfboards. It probably has its place. But in both of those cases you can move your feet around.

No, I understand the difference of cuff and binding cant, I'm just trying to understand WHY you would want to. Perhaps I just have freakishly straight legs? But I've been enlightened to having a rear foot at a slightly higher angle than the front and with that I feel a real connection from my center axis straight through to the center of the board.  Follow? When I look at an "athletic" stance of any other sport from golf to baseball, I just don't see any other athlete canting their shoe cuff...

Skiers pretty commonly cant their bindings (either with a cant strip under the binding or boot sole, or by shaving the boot sole itself). It's harder to fake it on skis, so more attention is paid to this, it seems. I suppose most doing this would then also cant their cuffs to accommodate. 

I cant my bindings outward a little, and boot cuffs correspondingly inward. As I get foot support dialed in, I find I need less outward  binding cant. 

2 hours ago, billyt. said:

My boots are so old they automatically cant after the first turn!

the cant locks stripped out on my original 124 raichle's, this turned them into the best powsurfing hardboots ever, with stepins that way out performed the Clicker skylords!

I wished I could replace the cant mech with elastomer bushings to tune in the lateral flex

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

I also found that by pushing both cant adjusters all the way down, the upper cuff to lower shell flex stiffens dramatically,

pull them all the way up for more flex for powder riding; I've even set the front down stiff and kept the back cuff up for more flex on the back foot w/out boot mods.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dredman said:

I believe the way to correctly determine if you need to, is to remove liner, stand in boots (just socks) in bindings on the board and adjust cuff cant to make distance equal around all sides of the cuff.

Hey Dred,

This would assume you only have one board or all your board/binding setups are the same?

My Thirst (and Moss)  is running TD3's with a 3'  disk for rerar foot heel lift.............my Swoard and Kessler  boards are setup with a TD3 6' disk.

I would think if I fine tuned the "Cuff Adjustment" for the Thirst it would not benefit the ride on the Kessler and Swoard??  

Hmm .......makes me think trying 3/3 disks on the Kessler and Swoard.........but that's another project........for down the road.

7 hours ago, b0ardski said:

I also found that by pushing both cant adjusters all the way down, the upper cuff to lower shell flex stiffens dramatically,

pull them all the way up for more flex for powder riding; I've even set the front down stiff and kept the back cuff up for more flex on the back foot w/out boot mods.

I bought replacement screws adjusters from yyz just Incase they blow apart.  I tighten them every morning , who knows where they wind up at the end of the day.  I did get new liners, 141 which are really lite and stiff, don’t even lock out the boots now which helps when down weighting.

6 hours ago, barryj said:

Hey Dred,

This would assume you only have one board or all your board/binding setups are the same?

My Thirst (and Moss)  is running TD3's with a 3'  disk for rerar foot heel lift.............my Swoard and Kessler  boards are setup with a TD3 6' disk.

I would think if I fine tuned the "Cuff Adjustment" for the Thirst it would not benefit the ride on the Kessler and Swoard??  

Hmm .......makes me think trying 3/3 disks on the Kessler and Swoard.........but that's another project........for down the road.

Start with setting the binding's cant/lift so you can stand and flex and move naturally and fluidly. After that, if you feel more pressure on the sides of the boot cuffs in a neutral stance, try canting the boot cuffs as described. I used canting on my UPZ cuffs, but no cant with MS.951's. Before that, I didn't know enough to get myself confused, I just rode. Though, i think I ride better now.

My binding lift/cant differs slightly on different width boards, boot cuff remains the same.

This is what happens when you get lots of different boards. You'll sort it out. May the force be with you.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

After that, if you feel more pressure on the sides of the boot cuffs in a neutral stance, try canting the boot cuffs as described.

I really haven't noticed any boot cuff pressure...yet.  But I do feel I'm using my rear... knee/leg by throwing it into the turn with my rotation.   Maybe cuff canting could take up this slop and make the turns more responsive??

59 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

My binding lift/cant differs slightly on different width boards, boot cuff remains the same.

So you got 1 ?? set of boots with cuff canting you ride with multiple boards that have different binding/cant variations.

1 hour ago, bigwavedave said:

try canting the boot cuffs as described

Has anybody seen or got a video on this???  

You really should be able to get it done with your bindings. Like Sean says in the video, the boot cant is more of a fine tuning thing. I only did it once in UPZ's. I think I had slight outward cant on my bindings with the UPZ's and then had to cant the cuffs inward. I think Beckman once mentioned that UPZ's are canted, which might explain that.

I was able to get even cuff pressure with MS.951's simply by adjusting the bindings, cuff cants are neutral.

On my wider boards (23cm) I use shallower angles with a slight inward cant, all done with the bindings. Without the inward cant on the bindings, my boot cuffs were pushing my legs outward. 

Think about binding cant as if you had no boot cuffs. What angle do your feet need be supported at on the board to be relaxed, not blocked from some part of your range of motion? That can take a lot of things into account, like a messed-up boot board.The

Now that that's settled, adjust the cuffs so theyre not in the way. Done.

Yes, cuff canting isn't usually a game-changer, just fine -tuning, and worthless if the binding canting is wrong. I think that's partly because my UPZs aren't that stiff laterally. A WC ski boot would probably be a bigger deal.

• Like 1

I do if the boots have this option. It compensates for “X”or “O” legs. There was boot fitter at San Francisco about 25 years back and he actually measured you legs. Since those days I know, I have about 3 degree bow on my left leg. It helped in old style of liner to release pressure away from ankle. In new thermoliners it is different story. You can also compensate  by footbed to certain degree. To set up my boots as comfortable as possible was probably my number one priority. Sometimes I even rode two different boots. It brought usually a lot of questions on the chairlifts. My answer was I am poor and I can afford only one boot for season.

• Haha 1