Note to New Members ×

New Metrics for Measuring your Season

lowrider

After closing the third week of December it's on again Feb 16th. We're allowed 4 hr. time block if you get a slot in the que. The real heart pounder is were expecting a fresh dump of snow Monday night !!!! The new metric for measuring this season is in hours not days or vertical. Expecting third wave with new variant to shut us down very soon as the decision to open seems to be against the experts advice. Doctors and nurses are spent and were hoping for a break in between second wave and whatever is coming next. Season record so far 20 hrs. and counting.......................  

Forget the hours on the field, the number of vertical metres ridden, the number of days ridden.

Remember the runs that brought a mile wide smile to your face, the hoots from the chairlift above, and if you're fortunate enough, times spent with like minded crazies carving beautiful lines in the snow.

Those are the things I endlessly replay in my head on summer evenings as I sip a cold Garage Project product.

https://garageproject.co.nz/

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

The only metric I count is that I must board longer than the time it takes me to get to the hill which is an hour each way, so I must ride 2+ hours.  I've never found it hard to meet my self-imposed SLA.

I don't like this metric at all! 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, lonbordin said:

The only metric I count is that I must board longer than the time it takes me to get to the hill which is an hour each way, so I must ride 2+ hours.  I've never found it hard to meet my self-imposed SLA.

This was my self imposed rule for years. 2½ hrs driving (each way) for a day trip from the twin cities to Duluth. Worth it for the decadence of having several hours of unfettered carving on empty midweek slopes at Spirit Mt. Tough on the legs though.

Now I'm just minutes from the hill :1luvu: I need new rules.

I suppose my new metric is to hike up and earn my turns on days when the hill is closed and there's fresh snow, or for some post-season slush slarving. 

P.S.  Living in the center of the polar vortex has supplanted the pandemic. We haven't seen temps get above zero °F for about 12 days with 20-30 below each night. Hills are empty, great for carving as long as you can tolerate the cold. Every day is sunny, but no new snow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, b0ardski said:

if you made the effort to drive up and get on the snow it counts as a day you went riding.

as the decrepification of my knees progress, a couple hours in the morning can be enough:smashfrea

"decrepification" Love it! A new word to use with my patients! 🤣🤣

19 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

@b0ardskiI'm also witnessing the decrepification of my body. I turn 62 soon, and finding my previously very able body is starting to betray me. Laughter is good medicine, certainly for me.

this place helps me exercise my wit :eplus2:

At 59 after 3+ decades of ski bumming and construction work my joints aint what they used to be, definitely on the downhill side of peak performance even though the skill set is at it's best:cool:

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 2

Last Wednesday at Loveland was probably my best day ever on the slopes (in about 50 years). It had snowed several inches each day in the days preceding, was groomed the evening prior and about 2" of new dense snow on top. 10 degrees F to start with broken sunshine and very few others on the slope. The 3 of us were on soft boots and wide boards. A great mix of powder and wonderful soft carving. 

I had strained my back days before and each run I had to really clench my abs to support my back. Each time I got off the lift I could feel my back but my brain just kept craving more. Gregory was leaving 6" trenches at the apex of his turns. We would alternate powder runs and soft groomers. Arne opined that it was a bit on the soft side but he said it with a huge grin on his face. We could take the whole run because we knew there was nobody else above us. 

I'll be replaying that day in my head when I am too old to ride.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JohnE said:

Last Wednesday at Loveland was probably my best day ever on the slopes (in about 50 years).

... because we knew there was nobody else above us. 

mid week sleepers on empty slopes are special, :eplus2: 

those are the days that reignite the passion, the rest just sort of blur together:biggthump

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 1:06 PM, JohnE said:

Last Wednesday at Loveland was probably my best day ever on the slopes (in about 50 years). It had snowed several inches each day in the days preceding, was groomed the evening prior and about 2" of new dense snow on top. 10 degrees F to start with broken sunshine and very few others on the slope. The 3 of us were on soft boots and wide boards. A great mix of powder and wonderful soft carving. 

I had strained my back days before and each run I had to really clench my abs to support my back. Each time I got off the lift I could feel my back but my brain just kept craving more. Gregory was leaving 6" trenches at the apex of his turns. We would alternate powder runs and soft groomers. Arne opined that it was a bit on the soft side but he said it with a huge grin on his face. We could take the whole run because we knew there was nobody else above us. 

Hubby used to get some pretty bad back pain which was always relieved after he went snowboarding! Probably better than any chiropractor could do!

All true.  It starts way before the first turns.  Planting the seed, looks like it’s going to be good on Monday, shopping for food, making the chili, picking up everyone, driving fast, rocking out to tunes and finally getting to the mountain.  Riding is only part of it, who really cares.  Tailgating with bloody Mary’s at 11am and that sweet pain of still being able to do what you love with friends as we mature!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Puhutes said:

Hubby used to get some pretty bad back pain which was always relieved after he went snowboarding! Probably better than any chiropractor could do!

I can relate to this, barely being able to walk, yet once on the stick, felt like a Miracle 😀 though if I hit a bump, Ouch !! you know that Pain, where you are laughing in Pain? working Construction for years actually kept me in pretty good boarding shape...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Puhutes said:

I had a pretty good twinge in my neck before Montucky, that afternoon I did what I call the "chiropractor roll" in the sunny mashed potatoes, the neck pain was gone and I looked good doing it⚕️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1