Note to New Members ×

New Rider?

Aquarifaeri

Hey everyone! 

I've been interested in alpine snowboarding for some years now, I have been on a regular board for over twenty years. My equipment is starting to go and I feel like now is a good time to start considering making the switch. I'm located in Boston and have no idea what to do in regards to equipment/brands/what to looks for/what to avoid. Any guidance is much appreciated!

****EDIT**** I'm 5'3" (160.02 cm) and 130 lbs (58.967kg) and shoe size 6 (37 EU). 

Best,

Brianna

Edited by Aquarifaeri
Add stats
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum B!

Boots are a great 1st step and the choices are really down to two brands - Deluxe Track and UPZ boots. They both have their followers.  Just remember you want a Snug (some would say ski racer) fit with no heel lift.  Most people downsize at least a half size or more from their street shoe. By example I'm a 10.5-11 but I ride a size 10/mondo 28

There was a  ski shop at the entrance to Okemo ski resort that used to sell and rent? demo Alpine setups.     I can't remember their name but somebody here will chime in I'm sure......I'm not sure they are still in the Alpine game  though?

Again Welcome :biggthump

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forum!

Yes!  Boots first.  

Check on the For Sale part of this forum, or on Alpine Snowboard Trader page on Facebook for used stuff.  Lots of great trustworthy folks at both places.  

This board might work also.

Or make a post in the Wanted to Buy section.  Lots of really helpful people on the forum!

At your size and weight, you may have a hard time finding a good board.

www.donek.com has a great “get started carving” package. Give them a call and they will help get you on the right stuff!    Talon Board, boots and bindings for right at $1lk.  Then you will have a setup ready to go!

www.YYZCanuck.com has boots and bindings as does www.upzboots.com

Read the documents section in the forum main entry page, watch all of the videos you can. Then find someone to spend some time riding with you to help you get going.

Good Luck!  Feel free to PM me if I can be any help.

Welcome!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So it seems like I am going to have to order online. As I am starting out, will I want to get boots that are more stiff or have more flex? I'm not sure if those two are interchangeable, but I have been seeing both of those words. I have looked at both Deluxe and UPZ, not exactly sure which one to choose - other than going on price? 

Thanks everyone for your input so far! 

Many people report heel lift inside Deeluxe boots.  UPZ and Mountain Slope boots are known for good heel hold-down, which is key.  UPZ are less expensive for starters, and they have softer options than MS.  UPZ also offer walk mode, which some people ride in for extra flex.  Your mondopoint size is the length of your foot in centimeters.  You can easily measure this yourself by standing on a piece of paper with your heel against a wall and marking the end of your longest toe.

Some good board brands are Coiler, Donek, F2, Prior, Kessler, SG, Oxess.  A board at least as tall as your nose is a good start.  Measuring on my 5'3" daughter that is 150cm.  I wouldn't go shorter than that.  160 would be fine too.

Bindings, accept nothing less than F2 Race Titanium.  They come with one lift wedge.  Spend the $20 for an extra one.  You want a lift under your front foot toe and one under your rear foot heel.  Bomber bindings are awesome and last forever but are stiffer.

Welcome and good luck!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Alpine snowboard boots are most accurately sized via the mondo system. This is based on the length of your foot in centimetres. Measure the length of both of your feet. If the longest foot is between 24.0 & 24.9cm then you should fit a mondo 24 boot.

UPZ boots have a narrower shell heel than the Deeluxe boots, and many riders find they get better heel hold down in UPZs. UPZs come with a spring adjustment mechanism that allows adjustment of the forward and backward flex to soften or stiffen the flex. Deeluxe boots can be fitted with a spring system but it's an aftermarket add on. There are aftermarket spring systems for both, but a lot of UPZ users find the inbuilt spring system perfectly adequate. (I have used Deeluxe, and now use UPZ)

Both brands accept Intec heels for stepin bindings.

Both brand boots are improved by replacing the stock liners with aftermarket heat moldable liners.

Just seen I'm echoing Jack Michaud in the post above.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

howdy Aquarifaeri,

welcome to alpine snowboarding... I have been drooling over this board since this board was posted,

I don't know if it is still available, but it would be a great starter introduction to alpine snowboarding.

it is an older design, but any coiler is a really good board. this would be a great starter board for you.

165cm Coiler RCC Titanal , I was thinking 250 plus shipping would be a fair price. seller is asking 400.

coilers are the best easy riding boards... click on the link and ask D.T. for more information. if you dont

like it I could be interested...

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the community, B! I'll bet you are going to get the firehouse treatment so just sit tight and eventually all of this stuff will start making sense.  The season is winding down so I wouldn't stress about getting beat right away.  Spend some time on the forums and get used to the lingo.  

Like everyone else said boots first, picking a size based on mondo.  I started with YOU boot (just dived in and bought over mailorder) and they have been great for me.  Stiffness on UPZ can be adjusted by changing out the tongues.  The black ones work great for me (at 85kg) but you might want to go down to a softer tongue if you are.much lighter.  There are lots of spacers, dials and other adjustments in the boots.  Unless you know what you are doing or have specific anatomical issues, just leave those alone, except for the forward lean adjusters.  Those you can adjust so you have a comfortable and stable basic stance.

Bindings are a matter of taste.  I use regular F2 race-ti since they are simple and just work.  They require a little maintenance and should be inspected at the start of every season (see any thread about cracked t-nuts).  That's also a pro tip of you pick up a used pair.

A beginner board can be a used board from any of the known carving oriented producers.  Coiler, Donek, Prior, Kessler, F2,... Certain boards, however will function as very good beginner boards and also be awesome when you are more experienced.  Here I have seen first hand that the softer Kessler Alpines have really given confidence to folks still on the steep part of the learning curve, and they are an absolute blast when you know what you are getting all aggro.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cthulhufish said:

I'm a similar height and weight and looking for a first alpine setup. Why the Race Titanium versus the Carve RS?

If you are beefy and/or charge hard then the plastic baseplate of the carve RS might break and  send you into low earth orbit.  People love them for all mountain riding though. The race titaniums have metal baseplates and are pretty darn strong.

• Like 1

Counter-opinion here;  Have you thought about trying a directional freecarve board with soft boots and stiffer bindings?  I have been so impressed with my Nidecker Concept, Nitro Pantera and Coiler BX boards with Flow NX2 bindings that I haven't reached for my race board yet this season.  My wife is in the mind set as me.  I give up about 10-20% carving performance, but gain a ton of versality and comfort.  Something to consider as a transition at least.  

Edited by Deuxdiesel
  • Like 3

Hi Briana,

this forum has too much info, and as much as everyone wants to give good advice, your head will be spinning in no time.  There are some articles here that are worth a read that might help as well as some really good info on an old web site Carvers Almanac.  Welcome

• Like 1

Welcome Brianna!  I have some used Deeluxe Track 225 boots that might fit you.  The Mondo 22 shells are intended to cover mondo sizes of 22 - 22.5 with the moldable liner.  You'll want to put your bare foot heel up against a vertical surface and then measure the length to the end of your toes to get your mondo size.  These are just one possible option once you sort out where to get started.  Once again, welcome to the forum and the alpine world!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cthulhufish said:

I'm a similar height and weight and looking for a first alpine setup. Why the Race Titanium versus the Carve RS?

The race titanium’s are flexy enough. I don’t trust the plastic Carve RS. I’ve started several high school students on the titanium’s, no problem. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jack M said:

A board at least as tall as your nose is a good start. 

What does the height of her nose have to do with anything? Boards don’t flex based on height, it’s weight and the strength/skill of the rider. She should look for something where she is in the middle of the recommended weight range. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Deuxdiesel said:

Counter-opinion here;  Have you thought about trying a directional freecarve board with soft boots and stiffer bindings?  I have been so impressed with my Nidecker Concept, Nitro Pantera and Coiler BX boards with Flow NX2 bindings that I haven't reached for my race board yet this season.  

Honestly, this is a great idea. At 130lb you're going to be very lucky to find an alpine board that doesn't feel as stiff as a plank. You're going to have your hands full as it is. Carving boards are expensive and can be ornery, and nothing is going to be less fun than getting hauled down the hill because you can't weight a board enough to make it turn. (I speak from experience. It's all right for these 200lb dudes with trees for legs, it's a bit different for lightweight women).

If you can find some boots that fit, which is the hardest part, then I'd second the Race Titanium bindings, and despite the comments above you could use the Carve RS's too. I have 30lbs on you, and I love my Carve RS bindings for all mountain riding. Mount those suckers to a longer, cambered freeride board, and have at it. That way you'll get a taste of things, without selling your first born to find out you don't like it. 

If you want to spend the $$$ on a new softboot board, there are a ton of carving-leaning options out there right now. There's no rule that says you can't ride them with plates and hard boots. And they'll be a lot easier to find than their hardboot equivalents.

Where do you ride? You could post up on the ride boards, and see if someone had a suitable board they could let you trial for the day too.

And welcome aboard! I hope you can find something that woks for you 🙂

Edited by Allee
  • Like 3

I strongly disagree with the (well intended) softboot comments. If someone wants to try hardboots, they should. Here is an athlete I am coaching. She is 16, about 120, 5’1”, riding UPZ RC11s, F2 Race Titanium’s, and a Kessler 150. (She uses an F2 WC 169 for GS) This is her 2nd season in hardboots. At the time this was taken, conditions were pretty mediocre.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKY426SD2Qi/?igshid=1475o7eaaeop9

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2