Note to New Members ×

Ride A-10 Bindings?

A little of it was money ($100.00 USD less), then I wanted the "moss" color (vanity), and I wanted the stiffer nylon high backs (performance), and I was able to get them from a smaller shop (shop small) in OH with free shipping, to arrive this coming week...  Something like that...

• 11 months later...

Almost a year later, I would like to do an update on the Ride A Series bindings.  I finally purchased a pair of A9's in November, which were $80 less than the A10's.  After spending quite a few hours on them, I would say that they are the most "invisible" two strap bindings I have ever owned.  I still have two pairs of Flow bindings, but these are pretty special right out of the box.  They easily secure your boot in the binding as firmly as the Flow's do, but I literally don't feel them when riding groomers, whereas the Flow's almost have a "boot bang" feel to them.  Today I rode a Nitro Pantera 163W with 35/20 angles and it was a seamless feel.  I have tried several other bindings on this board, and these were hands down the best feel overall.  

• 2 weeks later...

after going through almost three sets of odrives in the past couple weeks my newest warranty claim is to try the A-10. the transaction happened so quick with this last claim so had to pick something fast while on the phone. good to know the A-9's are an alternative in case the highback on the A-10's crack or shatter on me, being carbon. the carbon is just too sexy to pass up. i prefer lightning fast response and i have a good feeling about them regarding the "invisible" feel explanation. i prefer the ankle strap to sit high and lock extra tight. the ankle straps on the A-9 vs the A-10 look a little different, but probably just aesthetic design. sharp metal teeth on the ankle buckles i hope. mechanical forward lean mechanism is a little different between the two. gonna be positive and have some hope for these things. we'll see.

Edited by dhamann

I recently got to try my Ride A-10's out on my new Stranda Cheater 170w, with my Ride "Insano" boots. After riding "El Hefe's" for about 4 seasons (I have 2 pairs that still work great on 2 pow decks), the A-10's  were expected to be even stiffer than the El Hefes, and to my elation they are, but much more fluid for carving. The center disc has been re-engineered to flex and is slightly thicker so it's the first contact point of the binding to the board, rather than the base of the binding. So it allows the base to flex / pivot slightly making it not only a bit more forgiving, but with less fatigue. Don't mis-read what I'm sayin', they're still "super stout" binders, but super refined. "Like second nature power steering", it just takes the thought of initiation and you're railing ! The straps and ratchets are equally stiff, but as mentioned before are super comfortable and seem invisible. So far I'm totally stoked with the whole package !  

• Like 1

i got a couple hours on the A10 this morning so these are just some initial thoughts (attached to an SG soul 64w w/ gecko cross plates): it's a freestyle binding with stronger components. same design, just stiffer. it is a strong binding, yes. weight comparison to odrive is 2.07lbs vs 2.58 for A10 per large binding according to my wifes ounce counter kitchen scale. light, not so much. the highback and the ankle straps are not for freecarving and could use some help. nevermind the canted footbeds, riveted toe strap and ladder. tough crowd, i know.

highback: it appears to be asym/turned slightly to the outside of the binding. i'm talking barely less than the eye can see. eagle eyes. it's pretty much centered on the heel cuff from bottom to top of highback. however, the stronger, larger part of the highback hole connection to the base plate is on the inside of the binding. with steeper binding angles than a typical freestyle type stance (ie. 20+ or less?), a lot more torque is put on this part of the binding while carving heel side. i swapped them because i've had bindings fail at this location before. the asym/turned top part of the highback is now slightly more towards the inside of the binding. i am running 36+ for my front angle. once i got home i wanted to see what angle the binding would max out at for this stiff little highback to have any effect at all. my eyeballs tell me it looks like a 24+ maximum angle. the little bit of asym/turn in the highback doesn't make up for the 12 degrees and i can definitely feel it in the ride. this highback appears that it can not be rotated. kind of narrow and rather short for a carving highback IMO. in comparison, the odrive highback is taller, wider and wraps the cuff of the boot slightly, but also can not be rotated. i never noticed much of a difference when i went from other rotated highback bindings to the odrive as much as i notice the miniature A10 highback in comparison.

ankle strap: it is skinny and holds the foot down, not the ankle back. it sits lower ontop of the boot than i like. big difference when carving vs freeride or freestylin. comfortable, sure. flexy, sure. these aren't necessarily the characteristics i'm personally looking for in a carve specific binding. i want hard and locked without having to go to hardboots. the ratchets release nice and smooth, but i can't seem to get them tight enough. it's snug, sure. but i don't feel locked with this strap. perhaps i need to ride it a bit more to get used to it, but i see myself trading these out for better ankle strap. this is a good strap for tree's, nimble riding and light carving though. i just don't get the lightning fast response from them as i expect from such a stiff, strong binding. mismatched strap IMO.

edit: ankle strap attaches approximately 1 full cm lower to chassis than Odrive… hence that lesser hold for aggressive carving support. It’s not just the strap. Easier carving is fine. On a scale from 1-10, a 6 aggressive carve style is fine. Maybe a 7 but not more than a 7.3. Gotta have to have ankles, calves and knees of steel to get to a 9. I tried a different strap to further investigate and sat bindings side by side to come to this conclusion. Size large are for sale and open to offers. Next!

Edited by dhamann
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 1:49 PM, dhamann said:

i got a couple hours on the A10 this morning so these are just some initial thoughts

Thanks.. 

I bought a pair of nidecker kaon-cx bindings... Good alternative to o drives.. Nidecker group owns NOW. 

Test them and report out! 

Also I don't know why the NOW recon gets overlooked... I picked up a a pair.. Buddy loves them.. Has el heffe's..... Oh.. Too late no longer made for 2022. Dang. 

Screenshot_20220207-213359.png

Screenshot_20220207-212258.png

Edited by Shred Gruumer

11 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Thanks.. 

I bought a pair of nidecker kaon-cx bindings... Good alternative to o drives.. Nidecker group owns NOW.

Bought the Kaon-CXs last year. Wanted to love them. Nidecker claims the chassis was built on the Flow platform, which might be great if you don't have giant landslappers. The XL for these and the Flows don't seem to add much length over the L but a ton of width so the boots slosh around laterally. And I broke one of the totally sexy and sleek carbon highbacks on the first day. Frankly, I'd have happily replaced the highback if the chassis wasn't designed for Babar the Snowboarder.

As a side note, the straps are fantastic and I managed to find a set to retrofit onto some Catek FR2s.

20 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Test them and report out! 

Also I don't know why the NOW recon gets overlooked... I picked up a a pair.. Buddy loves them.. Has el heffe's..... Oh.. Too late no longer made for 2022. Dang. 

Can’t do carbon chassis/baseplate bindings anymore. Personal safety reason only. Love the odrives and anything like them but we have to say goodbye to each other and move on. The recons were dropped due to low sales and also very similar to the drive and Jones Apollo. I do feel more confident with an aluminum chassis under my feet and making the A10’s work with a now hyperfuse II ankle strap and ladders. They’re ok. 

The two piece chassis on the A10 allowed me to set my back binding at an 11 although I’m in a 12 boot. It centers my rear boot on the board. Riding a 28 waist board with the bindings set at size 12 kept catching the heel drag without a plate. Decided to put plates on to lessen this drag as well. OES FR 162w, Kevlar, stiff. Lotta board but I’m digging it. 100% pun.