Note to New Members ×

Centering UPZ boots - whats wrong with this picture

michael.a

So a selling point of the UPZ is shorter sole length and ah hem lower binding angles. In trying to center the new to me RC12 shell (312mm) the center point is so far back I have to push the whole boot forward on the bindings. In effect any advantage of ‘shorter sole length’ is lost as I have to increase the angles to compensate this huge bias. 

Or am I doing something wrong? My measurements find the center point of UPZ boots is about .2 inches towards the heel from the molded ‘centerline’ in the boot or pretty much on the dot of the injection sink mark find right on the bottom of the shell.

Having the boots ‘centered’, not only does it look wrong, but in using the large lift blocks on my Intec F2s I cant even center the boot properly as I ran out of space on mounting the intec heel piece.

Edited by michael.a

• michael.a changed the title to Centering UPZ boots - whats wrong with this picture

UPZ have totally out of wack position of the heel block. One is the alignment problem you've just described. The other is, that position resulted in too steep internal forward slope of the boot. 

Also, it is quite difficult to get into the rear bail, as the block is hidden under the heel... 

The center mark is center when the Ski heel is in place. So subtract that amount is actual center. So the center mark should actually be ~1cm toward the heel of the boot.

My shells are the same size as yours. These are my ~centered F2s on my wide Nirvana (24cm) at 52.5/47.5

jMdjPFd.jpeg

Edited by lonbordin
Stupid auto correct!
  • Like 2

Same here. Search for the Fuego test. Everything else is a waste of time. The super-short version is to use a cardboard box to evaluate over or underhang. 

Your bindings will end up asymmetric. i.e. front foot further forward, rear foot further rearward. Ignore it and ride. 

That stupid heel placement is marketing junk at its worst. But I love everything else about the boots. 

On 2/7/2021 at 4:12 AM, lonbordin said:

The center mark is center when the Ski heel is in place.

Exactly. Ignore those marks. Instead, when centering the boot, take into account that the forward lean mechanism sticks out quite a bit further than the heel. This is something to consider when you tip up the board high on edge.

Seems Mountainslope have a center mark for snowboards. The UPZ center mark definitely refers to the DIN adapters.

I have more questions about why a symmetric canting disc "is the best". It would seem that it prohibits canting adjustment. No idea why that is supposed to be good.

Edited by Aracan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, slapos said:

right so i am going to off top a little :

https://www.mountain-slope.com/schuh-und-bindungseinstellung/

what do you guys make of this then ?

regards

Lukasz

I set my boot/bindings up using equidistant heel/toe method. I was unaware of the MS centerline (or simply ignored it), but I just checked the centerline on the MS boots and they are over the center of the binding disc. So, with MS boots, both methods may get you to the same end result. The centerline on MS boots could be a good place to start. I usually find I tweak the setup after seeing how it rides and looking at my tracks provides clues.

I'm looking for a balance between edge pressure control and avoiding bootout. 

1 minute ago, carvedog said:

Wait I am late to this conversation....there is a centerline on boots?

Triangle-
A_WC_03.jpg

There's a line on the bottom of UPZ (more a plastic bump) but that's centered on the ski toe and heel not the snowboard setup.  If I remember correctly there's a similar mark on the DeeLuxe models.

The "Fuego" method works great for Deeluxe (most sizes) and UPZ size M28 and up.  How it works for UPZ M28 is binding dependent.

For MP 24-27, UPZ's used with F2's, SG's and TD3 variants (standard and Step in)  are not conducive to centered boot bias - ie toe/heel even over the edges as measured by the Fuego method shown in vid above.  This occurs especially at the front foot.  

For MP 24-27 UPZ's either ride with toe back from board edge and heel even with the edge, or mod the binding to move the boot forward.

I hear using Intecs instead of Fintecs can help minutely since the pins are located slightly back of Fintecs.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It all looks wrong but this this is yhe toe and heel block position after centering my UPZ hoof boots. Using lifts and the ramp block make things even more absurd. But it feels right.

These comments that this is overthinking it are honestly very unhelpful. If me and others are scratching their heads with 10 or more years in the game, then forget about beginners. How are they to even understand what feels ‘off’? The F2 binding manual completely overlooks this important issue.

D9CBF138-E0C4-4D05-A9B1-4E50B22BC71F.jpeg

5ACAF97A-C274-41F9-866D-70E2D23F579C.jpeg