Note to New Members ×

SeanO14

SeanO14

After 25 years my Burton reactor boots blew out on me and I’m looking for something comparable? These boots were the most comfortable boots for free riding wonder what people here would recommend as I wouldn’t have any clue after all these years but I want to get back into free carving?

Thanks, 

Sean

3 minutes ago, Corey said:

Moved to Carving Central to get more eyes. 

There are 3 main boot choices now: Deluxe, UPZ, and Mountain Slope. 

Deeluxe and UPZ cheaper, Mountain Slope more expensive.

Mountain Slope owners seem to be enthusiastic about all day comfort and not having to release buckles between runs. MS also have a range of shell stiffness depending upon whether freeride or World Cup racing is your goal. Not Intec heel compatible.

Deeluxe wider heel inside shell. Some riders struggle to get good heel hold down in them. UPZ better with narrower heel and better hold down. Both boot brands Intec heel compatible.

Deeluxe and UPZ fit better and more comfortable with an aftermarket moulded liner added. (adds to overall cost)

Generally difficult to try before you buy because of the very limited number of physical shops stocking any of the boots in the USA.

Personally, I use UPZ RC10s bought 2017, Intec heels for my stepin bindings, rear boot shell buckles have been modified and aftermarket liners. Good performance riding but I have to release buckles for the lift ride.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That was a really excellent rundown by SunSurfer.  And Deeluxe shells come from the same molds as older Raichle brand alpine snowboard boots.  So if you want to get an idea of Deeluxe fit, or if you're just cheap like me, used Raichles can be had for little $$.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys for all the quick responses I appreciate it!!  That’s good to know that there are only a few good brands out there these days because I looked at the deeluxe 325 model and those look like the ones that would work best for me just a little pricey!!  I’m 53 now and I will probably only ride less than five times a year but still feels good to get out there!!  

Thanks again!

Sean

And keep an eye on ebay.  If you have smallish feet, someone's had a set of Raichle 323 for sale for weeks with no bites.  They're mondo 25, but the seller just says they're size 7 (you can make out the 277mm sole length in a photo - that equates to mondo 25).  -> I have no connection with the seller

Sean, just a warning. If you hang around here long enough you'll likely become a completely obsessed hardbooter. I don't know what you're riding but the modern boards are just so much fun to ride that it's like crack cocaine, very addictive! You'll just want more and more of it. You'll become another lost soul, like me, and so many others here, who live the rest of the year craving the carve of the new Thirst Superconductor in my garage and winter here is still 6 months away! Aaaaaargh!!!!!!! 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying the Deelux 325 in a size 28.  They are a little tight but I think they’ll stretch out?!  Now I’m in the market for a board as my old 62 ultra prime is delaminating yet again on the tail... where can I go to go and demo boards in the east?!  I would love to try some of the newer boards as mentioned in this post!!

On 2/5/2021 at 8:54 PM, Allee said:

Wolf, do you have a link to those 323's? I know someone looking for some.

Sorry, I just saw this.  I usually get an email about a new post so maybe I missed it.  Anyway, they unfortunately sold:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAICHLE-323-Alpine-Snowboard-Hard-Boots-Size-7-/164691421854?hash=item26585faa9e%3Ag%3Amj0AAOSwLHpf5jvU&nma=true&si=YpfykKiKT%2BdvCiV0svHgxtlVs8E%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

On 2/6/2021 at 2:50 AM, SunSurfer said:

I don't know what you're riding but the modern boards are just so much fun to ride that it's like crack cocaine, very addictive! You'll just want more and more of it. You'll become another lost soul, like me, and so many others here, who live the rest of the year craving the carve of the new Thirst Superconductor in my garage

YES! Crack! After my first ride on a Thirst Superconductor I dream every night riding the SC. Now its dumping everyday this week and have to leave my Thirst at home for the powder board. Don't get me wrong I love the powder but I wanna ride my thirst so bad its killing me. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, SeanO14 said:

I ended up buying the Deelux 325 in a size 28.

i have the same boots, but almost sold them after about five rides (after molding liners). i was getting wicked shin bang and couldn't figure out how to adjust to avoid this. hopefully you don't have any issues, but if you do, here's my experience with this boot...  a booster strap around liner at top of cuff (behind shell) is what helped with shin bang. some folks prefer around the outer part of the shell and liner cuff... whatever works. also, i would highly, like extremely highly recommend the BTS system for any deeluxe boot. more money, i know but more comfort that you won't care what it costs once you ride with them. get the most out of those days you're able to get out and happy riding.

19 hours ago, SeanO14 said:

I ended up buying the Deelux 325 in a size 28.  They are a little tight but I think they’ll stretch out?!  Now I’m in the market for a board as my old 62 ultra prime is delaminating yet again on the tail... where can I go to go and demo boards in the east?!  I would love to try some of the newer boards as mentioned in this post!!

I had a skiboot fitter bump out the shell of my deeluxe at the ball of the foot with great results, if heat molding the liner is not enough to eliminate hot spots.

6 hours ago, SeanO14 said:

All great tips thanks for the input guys!!  I ended up buying a Donek voyager.  Because I bought boots with them I got a $250 discount on the board.  Any thoughts on this board if you know?

Donek makes a great product.  That board will be a major upgrade from your UltraPrime.  Let us know how it goes.  Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...