Note to New Members ×

Drill for hardboot carving beginner?

FelixD

Hi, I just got my hard boot set as well as my first free carve/racing board (Donek Pulse 175). I have been doing soft boot carving around 3 years. I know it probably will be totally different experience. Any suggestion or recommendation regarding what drills I should work on to get familiar of my board? Maybe in different stages? Thx

2 minutes ago, BlueB said:

Welcome! 

Single most important thing, coming from softies: keep your hips and shoulders perpendicular to where your toes are pointing, not paralel with the board. 

that is still a bit hard for me especially on heel side, thx for the info

6 minutes ago, BlueB said:

Welcome! 

Single most important thing, coming from softies: keep your hips and shoulders perpendicular to where your toes are pointing, not paralel with the board. 

Check that you are comfortable/relaxed with your bindings/boot angles when just standing relaxed.  Turning my head and looking about 5 to 10 degrees inside of the turn really helps me you keep my hips aligned right.  Just make sure you hold your hips there through the whole turn.  Also really practice reaching for the your front boot with your outside hand in order to really get that edge to bite.

23 minutes ago, inkaholic said:

You are a breck rider, slum it on a Sunday to join the LCI. You’ll make new friends and may learn a little or a lot. Either way it’s always a good time. 
Post up in the Yo LCI thread on the CO ride board. 
ink

awesome!

5 hours ago, inkaholic said:

You are a breck rider, slum it on a Sunday to join the LCI. You’ll make new friends and may learn a little or a lot. Either way it’s always a good time. 
Post up in the Yo LCI thread on the CO ride board. 
ink

This is the best tip you'll receive in your hardboot life. In-person coaching/guidance with good people is worth its weight in gold. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Corey said:

This is the best tip you'll receive in your hardboot life. In-person coaching/guidance with good people is worth its weight in gold. 

I couldn’t agree more!

I had my best carving day ever last Friday hot lapping with a friend who is a little better than I am and it made all the difference in the world. Whereas many of you are 9s or 10s out of 10, I think he is about a 7 and I am about a 5.  He is at MCC this week hoping he can advance a level to an 8 or 8+ and I expect he will. I am waiting for him to return to ride more days with him at Crystal hoping I can advance to a level 7. These are all just my silly made up numbers but that’s how I see it. 
I ride 99% of my time by myself but a tiny bit of riding with someone better than yourself makes for a whole new ballgame!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jack M said:

I thought I remembered that those were hosted here but couldn't find the link.  Now I just learned that the world doesn't begin at forums.alpinesnowboarder.com, but found the menu at alpinesnowboarder.com.  'Tech Articles' might be a bit ambiguous (technology/technique?) for folks that weren't along for the jump from BOL.

• Like 1