Note to New Members ×

How to know if a board is too stiff

nick8228

6 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

If the waist is 20cm it's likely a stock board or custom for a larger racer/rider. You're on the very low end of the wt range for that.

Yeah according to the kessler website I'm right at around 30% the weight range for this size board

Does this necessarily mean it's a bad board though?

When it becomes harder to make it turn in soft snow.

If a board is (too) soft, it is fine on hard snow, but you have to be careful onsoft snow not to turn too tight/go over the nose.

When the stiffness is right, you can hard charge on both soft and hard, and the turn radius is not too much affected by snow conditions.

When a board is too stiff, it is hard to bend the nose in soft snow and it tends to straighten out and not turn. (Which can be compensated by hard work)

4 minutes ago, barryj said:

If my thighs are shot only after a couple of hours of riding the board is too stiff for me and/or my desired level of work to ride it!  

Ha- that's me on every board.

I've only ever been on a few boards that I thought were too stiff for me (and a couple I thought were too stiff for what I wanted out of the board). If I feel like I have to slam the downweight to get it to not skid that's usually a good sign. Some boards are more fun that way, but if you need to artifically increase your weight...

I'd imagine "most" stock 162-164cm SL decks and 183-185cm GS boards are built with the idea of a 180lbs ish rider on them. When I weighed less, they were harder to bend. 

Not sure if you noted, but are you moving at a good clip? That energ can be important if you are working to get the board to bend.

I don't think weight is always the primary issue. Don't know if this will strike a chord with anyone else but if I'm pumping linked cross-unders and the board is giving back all its pop at the edge change faster than I can get out of the way, its too stiff. The feeling is like I'm being hit on the soles of the feet rather than being slung into the next turn. Not many boards are too stiff for my 100kg weight, or for my leg-strength (I'm still pretty strong even at 65) but many are too stout for the combination of my strength and my increasingly limited quickness.

Just experienced this today,  For my first day with a low hour, new to me 180 Proteus, 19 waist. 13 scr.  I am 210 plus.  My toe turns were fine, But I noticed some  heel turns were not as tight as usual. So an increase in , go early, and quickly throw every thing you have at it, drop body early to ground(picks board up more), and stay in front of it, for the entire turn,  aka , drive it as hard as you can for entire turn. Doing all of this for every turn and The Proteus 180 does heel turns great. 

This could be the Proteus 180 signature. It does not turn tight if you do not drive it hard.  This was east coast, Loon Mt, narrow trails , Cold, Hard Hardpack. 

11 hours ago, RobertAlexander said:

Just experienced this today,  For my first day with a low hour, new to me 180 Proteus, 19 waist. 13 scr.  I am 210 plus.  My toe turns were fine, But I noticed some  heel turns were not as tight as usual. So an increase in , go early, and quickly throw every thing you have at it, drop body early to ground(picks board up more), and stay in front of it, for the entire turn,  aka , drive it as hard as you can for entire turn. Doing all of this for every turn and The Proteus 180 does heel turns great. 

This could be the Proteus 180 signature. It does not turn tight if you do not drive it hard.  This was east coast, Loon Mt, narrow trails , Cold, Hard Hardpack. 

My exact experience with the Proteus 180. GO EARLY seems to be the key - for me on both sides not just heelside. If I drop low and get it bent before I reach the fall line it'll do whatever I want after that. Otherwise it acts like the SCR is 18 not 13.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trailertrash said:

Does this board have a "K" on the tail?

I ride a stock version of the 162 at 170 lbs and it seems ok to me. Is 20 pounds that much?

It could be. You are a master-carver and at 170 lbs can ride a board built for a 180 lbs racer. 150 lbs might be a push (pun intended) for an average rec rider. 

• Like 1

Ask your seller first...he should be able to provide you some information.

Second, with the board serial number you could probably ask Hans at Kessler some more info.

And may be something else to consider........even if you seem to be into the right range for the board lenght, 162 is the SL race size in Kessler's line, and (guys correct me if i'm wrong), probably quite stiffer than the 168 or even the 170 despite a more GS size !!!

Assuming that we speak about stock boards and that your riding technic is ok (No offense at all).

And what @Corey wrote just before is also really right on point.  👍

A shorter board doesn't always means a softer board.