Thirst PCjv 169 swallowtail powder carver

Posted December 26, 2020

Thirst PCjv, the 169 swallowtail powder carver

I'm really liking this board! It feels and rides like a carving board and has that smooth carve that I love about Thirsts. So far, I've been riding with my normal hardboots & SW bindings. I like that you don't have to shift your stance or lean back for deeper snow. I was able to ride centered & balanced through varying snow depths (up to about 1 ft) and the nose always stayed near the surface. I rode through some tracked out and drifted snow that I expected to be a rough ride, but it just carved through smoothly. I'm thinking the swallowtail might have something to do with that. I don't know what the sidecut is, but it's pretty turny, like a slalom board.

And yes, I have taken full advantage of Mark's multi-board discount! Plus, all the Thirsts I have received from Mark have come with a protective board sleeve and more importantly, the board builder's finishing touch of a professional tune. Typically a .7° base bevel and 2° side bevel (88° edge angle). Recently, boards have come ready-to-ride with a roto-brushed faststik® treatment, "a microfilm polymer blend wax replacement".  I can tell you it's very slippery in a wide range of conditions.

I made a video on my last run the other day. Fresh, wind blown and drifted polar powder (-5°F). The hill was closed due to dangerous wind chill, so it was a hike & ride day. ...and btw, I have no financial interest in or connection with Thirst, other than just really liking the boards...and making regular contributions to his daughter's college fund

• Like 2

Nice @bigwavedave

Love to see a back-to-back test with big bro' (The Midnight Express?) when time and conditions permit. 

Edited by Lurch
No finer cause than contributing to an edgejaayshaionn
On 1/31/2021 at 11:08 PM, Lurch said:

Nice @bigwavedave

Love to see a back-to-back test with big bro' (The Midnight Express?) when time and conditions permit. 

Haven't ridden them both in the consistent deepish powder of 6-8" or more where they should distinguish themselves from an all-out carving board.

Rode them back to back on some soft groom at Spirit the other day. They both carve up soft groomers very similar to my other Thirst carving boards. As you might expect the 169 PCjv makes turns somewhere between a 162 SF and the 171 XC. Whereas the 181 PC had some of that big turn-across-the-hill Cadillac ride of the 185 8rw, although it was happy going edge to edge, feeling more like the 175 Super. It feels to me as if they have a softer ride in chopped up, rutted up conditions. Not sure if it's the softer board flex, a swallowtail effect, or my imagination.

Will keep my eye out for the opportunity of a powder day comparison. Came close the other day at Indianhead.

• Thanks 1