Note to New Members ×

Catek users please read

jl1

On 2/12/2021 at 5:08 PM, teach said:

I'd be interested to see more photos of the jig.

Any intention of making standard heel and toe bails? 

Do you make the spherical nuts, or do you have a source for them?

I made the Sphere nuts as I didn’t need a large quantity.  No plans on a toe lever version. 

On 2/18/2021 at 10:57 AM, Newmax said:

@jl1: welcome to the club. In Europe I know 4 guys (including me) who managed to kill the Kinpin-nut. Fortunately no-one was really hurt, but all had a shitty crash during riding, when the damn thing broke loose... In my eyes one of the few design failures of these bindings. We made a replacement kit here, were we built a M10 screw with the head formed like the kingpin/nut, and then use a standard nut at the top of the bindings. No issues for years now with that design.

Johno: do you plan to go into serial production later on? 😄

Cheers Max

I would consider producing batches of bindings on a yearly basis to order. 

On 1/31/2021 at 12:32 PM, teach said:

I asked because with that design, i'd think you'd want the kingpin threads through the flange. Otherwise it's a bit like scoring a sheet of glass, supporting just up to the score mark on one side and pushing on the other. But maybe they were and kingpin sheared as well?

You are exactly right, unfortunately, as you increase canting angles, you decrease the number of threads in the sphere nut. I’m correcting this problem with my redesign. 

Looks great! 

I bet you could just make some standard toe and heel bails and let the buyer supply toe levers. The toe levers last longer than the bails... and I suppose someone might want to use f2 or snowpro or just a modified Catek.