Note to New Members ×

Heat mold Mountain Slope boots?

Grip

Hello friends. Anyone know if you can heat mold the Mountain Slope .951 boots in a similar process to Atomic Memoryfit, etc? In other words, bake the shells, put them on, then chill them with ice packs... 

Are the MS .951s grillamid/PA plastic? 

Depends on which iteration of the liner.

1st gen liner is not molderable/
2nd liner/current liner is heat molderable in traditional sense.  (backed the liner).  Which seems to be the most pragmatic way to go.

another option: is the zipfit method with rice cooker.

not sure on the Atomic process; the oven are set at different temperature for their very specific application.

lots of good info on the MS boots in this thread

• Like 1

"The plastic is reluctant to form with heat, and does not readily inform it's willingness to 'give'.  So if you plan to do any serious forming, book plenty of time with your fitter, and bring snacks."

from Beckman's observations in the linked thread above.

It is worth heating the shell (ZipFit method) to help form the liners to the shell.

6 hours ago, Grip said:

Hello friends. Anyone know if you can heat mold the Mountain Slope .951 boots in a similar process to Atomic Memoryfit, etc? In other words, bake the shells, put them on, then chill them with ice packs... 

Are the MS .951s grillamid/PA plastic? 

Hi there, why do you want to heat the plastic shell?

3 hours ago, Mr.E said:

Can you? Sure, but they don't have the built in zones that Atomic boots have. The 120's (maybe the others) are Grilimid. Don't melt the rubber walking pads.

All of the versions are Grilamid with and the new Race Department Flex 130 is GrilamidPlus

• Thanks 1

Thanks all. Wide feet is the reason I want to heat mold the shells. Also just curious given how easy it is to do with so many grillamid ski boots.

I’m playing with different old liners I have laying around and I might be close enough tho.

5 hours ago, Grip said:

Wide feet is the reason I want to heat mold the shells. Also just curious given how easy it is to do with so many grillamid ski boots.

Grip

FYI, my shop and boot tools are in the Carrabassett Valley, so get in touch if the liners don't fix your problem.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Grip said:

Thanks all. Wide feet is the reason I want to heat mold the shells. Also just curious given how easy it is to do with so many grillamid ski boots.

I’m playing with different old liners I have laying around and I might be close enough tho.

Yes, people do it but we don't recommend it. How do the shells fit the width of your foot without any liner at all? Are they touching the sides? We recommend you try heating the form liners first or try a thinner race liner before considering heating the plastic. It's easier and cheaper to replace a liner than it is a plastic shell.

• Like 1