Note to New Members ×

From Standard Backfoot TD3 SW to Step-In one...

RoroSnow

Hi All,

Seems like important and long term lowback problems will lead me to make some changes.....

Not enough hardbooters carrying that gear around me so that's why i decided to ask for some help.

What would be the simpliest and also, if possible, the cheapest way (Buying the less spare parts possible) to transform my backfoot TD3 Sidewinder in a step-in one ?

Using the existant heelbail for the toes may not work totally due to the shape of the arc not the same with the boot front wedge...

Fintec or intec ? I'm using Deeluxe 325.

Pretty sure that it has been discussed here before but I did some research and didn't find what I wanted.....

Thanks to the whole community help in advance ...!

(If not posted at the right place, sorry and move that thread !....)

Edited by RoroSnow

New toe and heel blocks (and bits)

Fintec is just a beefed up Bomber made Intec-type heel. They both work, and the Fintec uses many of the same internal parts from F2. I liked the extra beef, but Intec plastic heels work and are cheaper if buying new.

Get in touch with Walker at Bomber and he'll set you up.

• Thanks 1

If you do order the parts, you will need a new bail as the angle is different like you said.  Also a new toe block because that's a little different too (the bail "rests" at a different angle).  Plus the heel receiver and lock bar.  Also, before you order, try to get the toe and heel bails apart on your current binding to make sure you can reuse those parts.  Sometimes, you can't get things apart if they've been screwed together for years or if someone used too much Lock-Tite.  I had a bail snap trying to unscrew a lug from it.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, chaoticbiker said:

Looking at the parts diagram on Bomber’s site, the heel bail and block on the standard binding is the same as the toe bail on the step in.  There is a kit with the heel receivers and hardware for the conversion for $65.  Am I missing something, since I’m considering the same conversion.

There's a ledge on the block that determines how far the step-in toe bail can flop forward or how far the heel bail can flop backward.  The angle of that ledge is different between the toe and heel blocks.  The bend angle of the bails is also slightly different.

• Thanks 1

Here's a picture of a TD3 toe block on which a previous owner has taken a heel block and milled/filed the ledge down to make it function as a toe block (bail type in this case).  The silver aluminum is where the material was removed.

1352234562_ModifiedToeBlock.jpg.e2b8a8f40b3a6a7ab1760120548fd370.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AFAIC, that's a job pretty easy to do once you got the right tool for the right job....I do have got the tool...😉

The only concern is the shape of the steel arc not perfectly contouring the front part of the boot as it's shaped for the heel that is slightly different......🤔   .............Safety ?......................

The picture shows a standard TD3 and I assume that the mod would be the same for a Sidewinder...

Nevertheless, thanks Wolf  (and others) for providing helpful tips !

If that mod can work on a SW, I may ask Walker at Bomber if only ordering a spare step-in Heel block is possible....

Stunning helpful community :biggthump

2 minutes ago, RoroSnow said:

If that mod can work on a SW, I may ask Walker at Bomber if only ordering a spare step-in Heel 

Just be aware the sidewinder blocks are taller so if you just get a heel block there wiĺl be a stack height difference between heel and toe - either need to shim toe block up or get a SW toe block too.

1 minute ago, Lurch said:

Just be aware the sidewinder blocks are taller so if you just get a heel block there wiĺl be a stack height difference between heel and toe - either need to shim toe block up or get a SW toe block too.

I do already got SW....so i was speaking about shimming my SW heelblock to become a toe one.

I'm with Redman here.  If you have a pair of standard SW, keep them.  Buy a set of step-in and then mix the pairs on two boards.  Yes, their will be asymmetric flex, but it's nice to have a more forgiving binding in front when dealing with rougher snow anyway.  I have several mixed sets as step-ins weren't available when the SW first came out; had to do something with the standards.

• Thanks 1

I also use a standard binding in front and step-in in back.  The downside is the difference in stiffness but I don't notice it.  My boots are pretty soft so they may absorb it all.  Another upside that could someday be useful is if you're traveling with both boards and your Intec/Fintec heel fails and you don't have a spare.  In that case, you could canibalize one board to set up a board with standard bindings front and back and salvage your day or even your whole trip.  It's unlikely but certainly possible.  Also, if you buy a pair of heels and only use one, you can convert the "spare" heel to left or right foot by replacing the inner arms.  Bomber sells inner arms and they fit both Intec and Fintec.

• Thanks 1