Note to New Members ×

6° front lift with UPZ boots and TD3?

1xsculler

48 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

So a TD 6° cant lift results in very different lifts whether wearing Deeluxe or UPZ boots as the heel lift built into a UPZ boot is quite a bit more than in a Deeluxe boot. 

I used 6° toe lift on the front foot, and 3° heel lift rear with my UPZ's. I think it was just the opposite with the Deeluxe. I generally use no inward or outward cant at higher binding angles, but that's just me. It's a good place to start.

I haven’t checked this with my digital level since I had Deeluxe boots for comparison several years ago but if I remember correctly a 6° front lift with Deeluxe boots in TD bindings results in about a 3° toe lift whereas same binding and same lift disc results in about a 1° toe lift with UPZ boots. 
I expect someone who has done this more recently or who recorded their findings can correct me on this. 

I just checked the angle of the interior soles on my UPZ boots in my F2 bindings in which I have built a 6° toe lift. I measured a 4.5° heel lift and that is why my front leg is bent when standing still centered over my bindings and also why my front quad gives out so soon, IMHO. 

14 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

You just discovered a limitation of the TD bindings.  The rest of us just draft up something quick in CAD and get our CNC milling machines to make whatever parts we need.  Just fire up your mill and go to town!

Yup... Pretty much 😛

They look similar to the compact DGSS (maybe ACSS?) spring replacements, but they are different from the ones I had, which also attached to the boot at the top, in that hole. Maybe they are homemade? where did you get them? Come with the boots?

Looks like you have a lot outward cant boot cuff on the left. Is that on purpose? You should check the ankle pivot cants, maybe start from a neutral setting. When you "carpet carve", put your feet in the boots (without liners) and see if your legs are equidistant from the sides of the cuffs. You can use the boot cant discs or the binding cant discs to balance things. 

Also, make sure you use threadlock (the blue stuff) on all screws on those boots as they will come loose.

2 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

They look similar to the compact DGSS (maybe ACSS?) spring replacements, but they are different from the ones I had, which also attached to the boot at the top, in that hole. Maybe they are homemade? where did you get them? Come with the boots?

Looks like you have a lot outward cant boot cuff on the left. Is that on purpose? You should check the ankle pivot cants, maybe start from a neutral setting. When you "carpet carve", put your feet in the boots (without liners) and see if your legs are equidistant from the sides of the cuffs. You can use the boot cant discs or the binding cant discs to balance things. 

Also, make sure you use threadlock (the blue stuff) on all screws on those boots as they will come loose.

Can’t remember where I bought them. Thanks for pointing out cuff cant. I had forgotten about that. 
From 6°, I added 3° toe lift, measured across the F2 binding, to my front foot which puts me close to flat at foot. This relieved a lot of constant tension on my front quad. 
I’m embarrassed to say that I am having my best carving day since 2005 as I am on a perfectly groomed beginner’s run at Jackson with my 11 year old grandson who is about 3 days into shredding. I’m going to try to get him to link turns switch as well as regular. 
I should stay here and do 50 runs trying to lay it down lower and lower. 
This makes me concerned about the steeper terrain at MCC but it will be my last ditch attempt to go from a 4 to a 6. 

Found a picture of ACSS. That's what you have. I don't see how you can adjust forward lean with those. I believe you can with the DGSS. Why don't you have them installed on both boots?

Carving on easy runs is fun. I can do it all day, but it's more work to get real low without speed.  Easier to get low on steep runs because, if you're carving right, the snow will come to you.

Turner has some gentle terrain. Typical of blues anywhere.

I run the DGSS, and I dimly recall the ACSS (which we tried once when the wife still thought Head was the right shell shape). I believe they are rather similiar, function-wise, only the DGSS installs on UPZ boots without any additional drilling, while the ACSS is for Head boots and requires drilling at the bottom, while not using the top hole.

On 1/15/2021 at 1:17 PM, 1xsculler said:

This makes me concerned about the steeper terrain at MCC but it will be my last ditch attempt to go from a 4 to a 6. 

Don't worry about MCC the parking lot and lodge floor aren't steep ! Don't be in a hurry to attack the hill just scout it out and get comfortable. If you can unload at the half way point for first few warm up  runs  it won't be as intimidating.